PDA

View Full Version : Other Safety Issues

Hilel Salomon
05-23-2011, 11:18 AM
Again, I shouldn't be giving advice to anyone considering the fact that I'm such a mediocre turner, but.....
Others have mentioned speed and this is one of the things I'd like to address; tool presentation is extremely important as well. Using the proper tool for the proper task is a major safety factor. Changing the tool rest distance while the blank is still turning is something I've seen way too often.
The point is that I've seen way too many demonstrations and videos by expert turners who use very high speeds and move the tool rest while their blanks are turning. Some of them also present the tools holding them with one hand. Often, they'll pay lip service to how this might be dangerous, in effect using the old "do as I say, not as I do" platitude.
I think that instructors should always set an example rather than state something. To do otherwise only encourages people to try unsafe techniques in order to prove that "they've arrived."
Lastly, I noticed that some of our members talked about blanks coming off their chucks, or tenons breaking. The proper seating of blanks using tenons is quite important, but I'd rather that some of the true experts address this. Personally, I have learned that the size and nature of the tenon depends somewhat on the wood, but I've noticed that some people want to use chucks at their widest capacity and at their deepest depth, both of which, IMO are hazardous practices. I do welcome corrections, emendations and other advice.
Hilel

'

Jeff Nicol
05-23-2011, 12:29 PM
Hilel,

You are correct in all that you say, taking the time to learn every thing you can on proper or tried and true ways of doing things will make you a better turner. Just like on a lawn mower that says do not put hands or feet under mower when mower is running, somebody a long time ago did it and lost some fingers. But you still hear of it happening again and again, we can never be too safe and knowledge is king in everything we do.

Correct tool for the job and proper use of the tool, or don't do it,

Jeff

Roger Chandler
05-23-2011, 2:00 PM
Because most of us pick up wood turning on our own as a hobby we want to try, and that is usually because we have seen someone else turn something we admire, and we think to ourselves.........."I can do that!" We are not always taught the proper way to prepare a blank for turning.

Hilel, you and I being members of the same club [CVW] and I also am a member of WoVA, I have never seen a demonstration by experienced turners or any demo on the proper way to make a tenon.........I have heard it spoken of, but never seen anyone do a rough out to show the proper way to do a tenon and then proper presentation of the tool to the wood.

That being said..........it is most likely because a lot of the club members would consider it a waste of time, as they are so far beyond that first set of skills, and it would not interest them..........but I believe every so often for the sake of the newbies there should be a demo on the first and important safety techniques and proper tool presentation done by every club.

It just should be something done at least twice a year, because new turners are always coming into the hobby, and it would not hurt for experienced turners to get a refresher from time to time as well.

Ed Morgano
05-23-2011, 2:27 PM
I think it would be a great thing for someone to do a pictorial of both of these subjects and post it as a sticky at the top of the forum. Great for beginners like me.