PDA

View Full Version : Burn Barrel Resurrection #4

Dick Wilson
05-23-2011, 10:23 AM
This piece I call "Nazca Visitors". 9" wide by approx. 9" tall. Spaulted Sycamore that is very punky. I turned this 4-5 years ago and dyed it red and burgandy. I never did like it and apparently no one else did either - I still have it. I decided to play with it and see if I couldn't get a different look. The black stripes are actually inlaid Tiger Maple. I wanted to dye them a different color but because the Sycamore was so darn soft the dye bled like crazy. This will probably help hold down a table in home because it is not up to my standards for sale.195493http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/pencil.png

Don Alexander
05-23-2011, 10:32 AM
don't know what the original looked like but the rework is pretty cool looking nice save

John Keeton
05-23-2011, 10:36 AM
Pretty good resurrection, Dick!! I am curious on how you did the inlay on the stripes - saw kerfs?? Interesting technique.

Jim Burr
05-23-2011, 11:37 AM
Again this begs the question...why are you throwing this stuff away!! Your killin' me Dick...jumping a flight to rob your barrel!!

Tim Thiebaut
05-23-2011, 12:18 PM
Man...I am with Jim, I want to come see what other treasures you have hiding in this burn barrel of yours!!! Nice save with this one thats for sure, thats a beautiful piece of wood you have there.

Dick Wilson
05-23-2011, 12:31 PM
Pretty good resurrection, Dick!! I am curious on how you did the inlay on the stripes - saw kerfs?? Interesting technique.

I ran the block over my dado blades before turning it down. Then milled strips to slide in the slots, glued them in place and then turned. Great idea, piss poor execution.

Dick Wilson
05-23-2011, 12:32 PM
Again this begs the question...why are you throwing this stuff away!! Your killin' me Dick...jumping a flight to rob your barrel!!

I don't know if you are man enough to get to my burn barrell;);) but if you show up at my door we would have a marvelous time lying to each other:D:D

Dick Wilson
05-23-2011, 12:34 PM
Man...I am with Jim, I want to come see what other treasures you have hiding in this burn barrel of yours!!! Nice save with this one thats for sure, thats a beautiful piece of wood you have there.

I am lucky you are in Colorado. What are you, blind? Can't you see all the defects from there?????????????? Thanks Tim

David E Keller
05-23-2011, 2:07 PM
I kind of like this, Dick. The saw kerf inlay in a cool touch, and I've thought of doing something similar... The necessity to clean off the table saw has prevented that from happening. I think the wood is pretty, but I might prefer it sans foot. I like this series that you've got going.

John Hart
05-23-2011, 2:24 PM
Well...like I said before...You need to create a whole series of turnings with the Nazca Lines....Oh wait...Lets ALL do a turning with the Nazca Lines and present them as a virtual set!!!

Tim Thiebaut
05-23-2011, 2:39 PM
Dick,
I do have my first hollow form attempt, that is sitting on the coffee table in my living room, and it haunts me every time I am in that room...........when I did it [about 3 years ago] I had zero hollowing experience and only a Sorby hollowmaster tool, that I did not know how to use.............

You know while browsing old posts on the forum last night I saw a lot of postings from folks back when they were either brand new to turning or close to it, its nice to have a record of how far you have come with things, it helps you to see how you have developed and grown. Actualy I found one of John Keetons very first finials that he posted, they were on some xmas ornaments for his kids...talk about a difference from the absolutly beautiful ones he turns today, but we all grow like that. I have given away a few of the things that I have turned since I started 5 months ago, but I am keeping all of my firsts just to remind me.

John Hart
05-23-2011, 2:46 PM
heh heh....I just posted my first bowl a few minutes ago!!! That's funny. I ran into it the other day and set it out on a table in the shop. Then I went hunting around. It was amazing how many old old pieces I still have tucked away or on shelves.

Hmmmm.....I think I'll burn them...:eek:

Just kidding :D