PDA

View Full Version : A short article about my father.

John Shuk
05-23-2011, 8:18 AM
I wanted to share an article written about my Dad who lives in San Diego.
I'm proud.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/may/19/priest-has-been-helping-the-dying-go-in-peace/

Matt Meiser
05-23-2011, 8:41 AM
You should be.

But I've got to admit that I was a little confused until I got 1/2 way through the article!

John Shuk
05-23-2011, 9:43 AM
I can understand why! Dad and Father don't always go together.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-23-2011, 9:59 AM
John,

You should be very proud of your father. It takes a strong and caring person to try comfort others while they bear those type of burdens!

BOB OLINGER
05-23-2011, 10:12 AM
John,

Yes, you should be very proud. PTL for people like your dad.

Belinda Barfield
05-23-2011, 10:25 AM
As others have said, you have every right to be proud. It takes a special person do volunteer with hospice, but it is rare to find one with your dad's attitude - to just be and not try to influence or change.

Phil Thien
05-23-2011, 10:48 AM
Thank God for people like your father.

I know that is a job I would not be able to do. Probably not many could.

Glenn Clabo
05-23-2011, 11:43 AM
Your father is a special man...with a special gift...that he continues to share with those in need.

Jim Rimmer
05-23-2011, 12:53 PM
What a nice tribute to a very compassionate man.

John Shuk
05-24-2011, 8:14 AM
As others have said, you have every right to be proud. It takes a special person do volunteer with hospice, but it is rare to find one with your dad's attitude - to just be and not try to influence or change.
Belinda,
That is what makes my Dad very unique. He isn't there to save souls he is there to embrace them.

John Shuk
05-24-2011, 8:17 AM
If I can be permitted to brag a bit more there is a video that they played at the luncheon where the heroes all speak.
It is the one at the top of the page for those who care to watch. It kind of overwhelms me.
http://filmsyoufeel.com/MENU_Recent_Projects_Awards.htm#GHD_Heroes

Belinda Barfield
05-24-2011, 11:05 AM
Belinda,
That is what makes my Dad very unique. He isn't there to save souls he is there to embrace them.

John, I lost my aunt a year ago to pancreatic cancer. The elders of her church visited almost daily towards the end and because of their words and deeds my aunt began to feel that she wasn't praying hard enough or sincerely enough to be healed. When she entered hospice it just so happened that our cousin was the hospice nurse assigned to her. Verna, much like your dad, was just there for my aunt. Sometimes they held hands, sometimes they reminisced, sometimes they cried. My aunt took more comfort from that than from anything else. The people who have been fortunate enough to interact with your dad are blessed indeed.

Jeff Monson
05-24-2011, 12:16 PM
You should be very proud John, he is definitely a special person. I have lost my next door neighbor, and my grandmother both in the last week. Having people around them that care, and knowing what to say to comfort them, makes all the difference in the world. To have the strength to do that day in and day out, truly a special person.