PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
05-23-2011, 8:12 AM
23 May 2011

Good Morning,
First off, no woodworking for me....but I do want to say that my heart and prayers go our to all those in Joplin, MO. Arkansas is still dealing with areas of flooding and I'll just be glad when the rain goes away...and the storms too.

The LOML Jr's wedding is this coming weekend....so you KNOW what will be taking place this week.
I also will be visiting my dad this week in Alabama...via motorcycle to keep my promise to my dad.

That's it for me...so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Matt Meiser
05-23-2011, 8:47 AM
Saturday I toured the shops of 6 members of our club. Lots of great shops and great ideas.

Other than that, yard work. Mowed the lawn Friday evening since it was dry enough for the first time in 8 days. Bought and planted tomatoes, peppers, and herbs in the garden. Planted 6 pine trees we bought from a neighbor. Got all the pots on the deck ready for LOML to plant next weekend. Then mowed the lawn again Sunday even though it hadn't grown that much since it looks like I won't be able to again until next weekend based on the forecast.

We also had roofers here Friday-Sunday replacing the roof and a skylight on the house so things were a little crazy. They are basically working any time they can since we've had so many rainy days this spring.

Shawn Pixley
05-23-2011, 9:36 AM
Saturday had a ripping headache. Sunday, took LOML to breakfast for her birthday. After we were to run to store for supplies for a birthday cake I was to bake. She accidentally left my iPad in the shopping cart. When we returned, it was gone. Spent next several hours resetting every passward and access. Made an outrageous chocolate cake from scratch (and I'm no baker). Bought a new iPad. Dinner and cake successful.

Today is the year anniversary of my dog's death. Sad day.

Ryan Hellmer
05-23-2011, 9:41 AM
Saturday was great, went to the woodworking club meeting, then headed out to a friends to do some sawmilling. Got 10 logs cut up. He wanted the cedar and I got a couple oaks, a nice walnut, some douglas fir and sycamore. Had a tornado scare that night, praying for the folks in Reading, KS and Joplin, MO.

Sunday after church I took the trailer out to pick up the freshly cut lumber then we had to go to a graduation. Good to see family. Now tonight I have to get all that lumber (about 800 bd ft) stacked and stickered. Hope the rain holds off.

Ryan

David Hostetler
05-23-2011, 10:10 AM
I spent most of last week's evenings working on the "Shop In a Box" hanging clamshell cabinet plan from Wood Magazine to try to maximize my storage. I have been trying to utilize Home Depot Lauan cabinet grade ply. I know, but it was $25.00 a sheet, and right now money is tight... Anyway when I assembled the doors, everything was nice and straight, and now the ply is moving on me, and knocking the doors out of square, and with the tolerances on the doors as tight as they are in the plan, this is causing the doors to strike each other as they open / close... Infuriating to say the least... I guess I should have gone to Kilgore's to see if I can get a reasonable price on some honest to goodness hardwood ply from them...

We took BIL's car to the other BIL's shop. The thing dead shorted a battery, and within a day of throwing the replacement in, that one was dead too... While we were in that part of town, we stopped by my Father In Law's place. His pear trees are going nuts this year. Helped him out with the gardening a bit for a while, got some lunch and ran back to the house...

Spent Sunday @ church and running around with LOML just having a nice day. Overall, it was a decent enough weekend, albeit one that felt very short...

BOB OLINGER
05-23-2011, 10:21 AM
A variety of things this weekend. Finished planting the garden (tomatoes, peppers, squash, cucumbers, a few pumpkins, beans, sugar snap peas). Church on Sun. morning (our church suspended Sat. evening services for the Summer - a bummer for us). Also, shot down a good number of quarter round in follow up to new baseboards throughout the house previously installed. Still have more quarter round to go. Also, did a little lawn work. Did a pork loin on the smoker. That's about it.

JohnT Fitzgerald
05-23-2011, 10:30 AM
I also send my prayers out to everyone in MO.

This was a weekend of assorted odd jobs, getting some stuff in the yard and also in the basement done. I am in the middle of reorganizing/cleaning my basement and shop, and the next job is replacing and relocating the water heater. This will open up space for a dividing wall that will hopefully give my shop more options (for a bench and cabinets). Also did some lawn care, installed some soffit vents, cleaned the gutters, and installed the final pieces of baseboard around the stairs/landing leading down to the basement. Thankfully that's finally done.

JohnT Fitzgerald
05-23-2011, 10:31 AM
Saturday I toured the shops of 6 members of our club. Lots of great shops and great ideas.

Matt - any suggestions or tips you might have picked up for small basement shops?

Ken Fitzgerald
05-23-2011, 10:45 AM
Last Wednesday, we flew to Houston to visit the youngest son and family.

Friday we drove to Austin and attended our DILs graduation with her MBA to put behind her pharmacy doctorate.

Saturday we drove back to Houston.

Sunday we played Grandma and Grandpa with the twins and flew back home arriving about 01:30 this morning.

Callan Campbell
05-23-2011, 12:02 PM
195495 195494 195496 Made a new plant stand for th backyard. And a bird feeder from plans/book. I haven't made anything from plans in awhile, so that was fun to do for a change with the little feeder.

Jerome Hanby
05-23-2011, 12:20 PM
I bought some of the new pipe clamps with feet from Harbor Freight to take a look at. Just looking and handling, I can't see where they are inferior to the Bessy versions. Picked up a piece of black pipe so I can try one out. I did manage to use three 20% off single item coupons for the three clamps I bought, so they were $7.99 a piece, about half what Bessey would have been at the borg...

Jim Rimmer
05-23-2011, 12:45 PM
Saturday was great, went to the woodworking club meeting, then headed out to a friends to do some sawmilling. Got 10 logs cut up. He wanted the cedar and I got a couple oaks, a nice walnut, some douglas fir and sycamore. Had a tornado scare that night, praying for the folks in Reading, KS and Joplin, MO.

Sunday after church I took the trailer out to pick up the freshly cut lumber then we had to go to a graduation. Good to see family. Now tonight I have to get all that lumber (about 800 bd ft) stacked and stickered. Hope the rain holds off.

Ryan

I've driven through Kansas several times (southeast corner). Did you cut down all the trees in Kansas? :D

Tony Bilello
05-23-2011, 7:49 PM
We drove to Austin to meet up with step son and his new baby. Along the way, we stopped at 2 saw mills and bought 3 slabs - 1 pecan and 2 mesquite. Neither one are 'tool freindly'.

Jim O'Dell
05-23-2011, 8:13 PM
Sat am, went shopping while LOML was doing a piano teacher function, then we did some shopping and back home for lunch. Out to get my haircut, then ordered the last parts for the computer: keyboard, eSata cable, and 3 case fans. Drove to some friends house for supper and to find out how his mission trip to Cuba went. Back home to watch the final half of the Mavs/Thunder game. Sunday, while LOML was getting one of the foster dogs to his new home, I played plumber, replacing the cartridges on the master bathtub, and replacing O-rings on the kitchen faucet. Watched the Ranger/Phillies game. Then mowed that after that. Finished just in time for the rain to come again.
More prayers to our MO cousins. Can't believe the destruction in Joplin. Jim.