PDA

View Full Version : African Blackwood - Finish wont cure

Tim Thiebaut
05-22-2011, 8:47 PM
I know that some of you all use alot of this stuff so thought I would ask about this. I went to put the finial on my Banksia pod ornament tonight, the finial is African blackwood, and the finish is still tacky, it has been sitting in my curing box...ie...card board box taped shut...for almost 2 weeks. As with everything I apply finish to I throughly clean the piece with MS before applying anything to it, especialy with the oily woods. Any thoughts on why this happened?

I cleaned the piece up and it is ready for me to re-apply the finish but wanted some input before I redo this, thanks for any help here, Tim

EDIT - I am useing WOP, the can is only 2 months old, I use this can on everything and its fine.

David E Keller
05-22-2011, 8:51 PM
I usually don't put anything but wax on my blackwood. It's so dense and oily that it'll polish up just fine with wax alone.

John Keeton
05-22-2011, 8:53 PM
Tim, most of the time, I sand African Blackwood to 2,000 and apply Ren wax. On those occasions where I have done differently, it has been a quick shot of lacquer while on the lathe, give it about 5-10 seconds and touch it with a paper shop towel to buff out the still wet lacquer. Do this about 2-3 times, and call it done. If the finial and base are together, I will spray a little lacquer on underside of the bottom portion, buff with 0000 and rub out with the paper towel. I have never attempted WOP (if that is what you are using?) on Blackwood.

Tim Thiebaut
05-23-2011, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the info guys, hhmm...the highest grit I have is 600, but I will try waxing with Ren wax in the morning and see how it comes out, this makes since though when I was putting on the WOP I saw that it was beading....like when you sprinkle water on a freshly waxed car hood, the 2nd thru 5th coat didnt do that just the first. Well you live and learn, now I know that blackwood dosnt like WOP. The closest thing to Lacquer I have is some Mylands Friction finish, I may even try that first and then buff with Ren Wax, thanks again for the info!

Rick Markham
05-23-2011, 1:34 AM
Tim I had a similar thing happen with a cocobolo bowl I turned for a friend. The WOP wasn't curing, I think the cocobolo was super oily, it did eventually cure (It took 3 or 4 weeks)

Scott Hackler
05-23-2011, 1:48 AM
The African Blackwood IS oily and doesn't really need to be polyed or lacquered. I usually sand to 400, use synthetic steel wool (grey then white) and ...... black shoe polish on a paper towel while spinning on the lathe. That worked awesomely and puts a beautiful finish on the blackwood.

Montgomery Scott
05-23-2011, 11:49 AM
I only use lacquer on oily woods like ABW. It's true that no finish is required on it, but ABW has such a wonderful chatoyance that isn't seen unless some type of clear finish is applied.