PDA

View Full Version : Inkscape issue

Bruce Boone
05-22-2011, 7:01 PM
I have Inscape that came with my new laser and found that I have issues with my Wacom tablet running it properly. The cursor will point to all the commands correctly, but will be off by about 6" on the screen when I try to draw with it. It scales differently somehow in the drawing menus. Has anyone seen this or found a way around it? I have found that it is possible to plug in a mouse and use that, but it's somewhat a hassle since my tablet is my main input device.

Mike Null
05-23-2011, 6:32 AM
I don't use my tablet often but as i recall I had to calibrate the tablet/pen to the screen when I installed it. You may have to go back and re-install the tablet or at least find the settings that allow aligning the tablet with the screen.

Bruce Boone
05-23-2011, 8:14 AM
Thanks Mike. I finally got it. I had to save a junk drawing for it to remember any changes in settings. A simple little fix, but one to drive you crazy if you don't know the secret.

I'm kicking butt with the new laser. I'll post some pics when I get some more stuff done.

Mike Null
05-23-2011, 9:00 AM
Your rings are what fascinates me. But I'll be interested to see your new creations.

Bruce Boone
05-23-2011, 9:14 AM
Here's one of the first ones I did.

Bruce Boone
05-23-2011, 12:40 PM
Another issue I'm having is grouping of objects. The YAG needs to carve things all at one spot then index instead of doing full rotary moves. Because of this, you can combine objects into a set, which the laser will attempt to cut all at once. You can get cleaner artwork that way. I haven't yet figured out all the ins and outs of how in Inkscape to do that properly yet. I think I'm not up to speed on if something is on a different layer or other issues that I'm not aware of. I just semm to try lots of different stuff and finally get something that works. I haven't yet figured out the workflow of how to take a raster picture, vectorize it, then combine parts of it into neat groups to cut. It will come in time I suppose.

Dan Hintz
05-23-2011, 1:20 PM
InkScape is a slightly different mindset than Corel... it takes some getting used to, but it's amazingly powerful for a freebie.

Mark Conde
05-23-2011, 2:30 PM
WOW! Very cool. Is the ring stainless steel? Can you laser engrave tungsten?

Bruce Boone
05-23-2011, 4:27 PM
That is titanium. Steel would be similar. I have seen tungsten engraved like this, so I'm sure it could do it. It wouldn't be as deep though.