PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
02-07-2005, 12:53 PM
Well, another weekend has come and gone.

I made it a point to "just relax" this weekend and I did just that. Funny thing is...I kept feeling like I really needed to be doing "something" in the shop. I was glad I didn't have anything pressing to work on in the shop. My body was screaming for some needed rest.

So...what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.....

keith zimmerman
02-07-2005, 1:12 PM
work, work and more work. Seems like that's all I have been doing lately. I did, however, manage to salvage some time at the lathe where I rough turned a small apple bowl and did some turning on a very, very soft spalted birch bowl I have been working on off-and-on for several weeks. It is so soft that I have been wanting to try some Minwax Wood Hardener. Well this weekend, the weather was finally warm enough to treat the bowl with this stuff. I soaked the wood in the hardener and let it dry out in the garage.

I was wearing nitrile gloves and it seemed like they were melting from this stuff. I not sure they were, but I'm going to invest in some chemical gloves.

keithz

Jeff Sudmeier
02-07-2005, 1:31 PM
Cleaning and organization was the order of this weekend. I cleaned up the whole shop and put most everything away! Yippie!

I also reorganized some spaces so that my miter saw cabinet would fit. I built the surround for my SCMS so that most of the sawdust is collected. I also buttoned up my Table Saw so that most of the dust is collected.

Finally, I went and picked up the Red Oak for the dresser that I am starting tonight. It was a good weekend!

Frank Pellow
02-07-2005, 1:39 PM
Made the sign shown in the thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=16601

Got a good start on making the Murphy bed that is going to utilize the hardware shown at: http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=41276&cat=3,40842,41271&ap=1

Started on a prototype for my version of Paul Franklin's rolling cabinets shown in the thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=16079

Jeff Sudmeier
02-07-2005, 1:44 PM
Ohh I forgot the best part, went over and spent an hour or two with John Miliunas at his shop. As always, stories were told and a general catch up chat!

Jack Hogoboom
02-07-2005, 1:49 PM
Started to build an under-the-bench storage unit for my new bench. Can't even believe how long it's been since I fired up the table saw. Good news, though. I haven't forgotten how to make mistakes!!! :rolleyes:

Jack

Matt Meiser
02-07-2005, 1:49 PM
Not much shop time this weekend. My wife's uncle died Thursday night, so she spent a good part of Saturday at the funeral home while I stayed home with my daughter. Sunday was the funeral. I did get started on a couple wall mounted shelves for our family room on Sunday night.

Kyle Stiefel
02-07-2005, 2:28 PM
I made a new outfeed table and fine tuned my TS, it felt good to get it done. Next up is the bandsaw.

Good day.

David Wilson
02-07-2005, 3:39 PM
put the finish on a cabinet for SWMBO
http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=16620t
She is going to paint the interior and I will mount a pull and it will be finished.

Scott Coffelt
02-07-2005, 3:52 PM
* Started taxes, got real depressed so I quit.
* Delivered the PEZ holders I made for a client.
* Went to a new clients house to measure for a built-in stereo cabinet.
* Began building some doors for some built-in cabinets in our house. I had originally planned on making glass doors for a collectors cabinet. Now decided to just make them plain as we'll be selling the house in a few months.
* Tried twice to turn a 9-10" platter from some cut-off Cyprus pieces I bought out of a scrap bin. The first cracked when I put the chuck on and then eventually blew off the lathe. The second I turned the back too big and then decided to just use a plate... turned down to the screws. Decided my luck was not going well and quit. I do have enough to try again, so hopefully the third times a charm. I need to complete a couple of items for a church raffle.
* Relaxed Sunday and watched some football.

Jim Fancher
02-07-2005, 5:02 PM
Cleaned the garage
Installed a new DVD burner. The old 4X had 1000 discs run through it. It was time for a 16X.
Won $125 in an office Superbowl pool.
Bought 111 back issues of Wood Magazine for $75

Jim O'Dell
02-07-2005, 5:18 PM
There was football on Sunday??? I guess I got too wrapped up in the shop rehab. Actually I did watch a few minutes of the second half.
I got all three sides of the shop addition siding on. Now I need to get it caulked and painted so I can move on to another wall. It feels really good to see what it will turn out to look like. Just 74 more linear feet of wall to do!!!! Then I can start wiring. Jim.

Cliff Newton
02-07-2005, 5:38 PM
They have 16x DVD burners now? I've been living with a 1x burner for too long. It's time to upgrade.

This weekend I worked on an upper cabinet for the master bathroom. I would post pictures, but it's my first attempt at a cabinet and it looks like hammered poop right now. I figure 2 or 3 tubes of Dap ought to fix it up :o

Cleaned the garage
Installed a new DVD burner. The old 4X had 1000 discs run through it. It was time for a 16X.
Won $125 in an office Superbowl pool.
Bought 111 back issues of Wood Magazine for $75

Jim Fancher
02-07-2005, 5:55 PM
They have 16x DVD burners now? I've been living with a 1x burner for too long. It's time to upgrade.
Yep. :) I picked up an NEC ND-3520A (Dual Layer, 16X, etc) for $61 shipped. With hacked firmware I'm able to burn the remaining 4x media that I have at 12x. Jim's a happy boy. I can burn a full DVD at 12X in under 7 minutes.

Tyler Howell
02-07-2005, 6:03 PM
Finally got off my ... and made some saw dust. More punch list items checked off.

Bob Winkler
02-07-2005, 6:34 PM
Worked on my shop expansion area:

Started and finished new lathe accessory board (lot's of room for more tools)

Finished mounting the BS on the new rolling cutoff cabinet

Bob

Jim Becker
02-07-2005, 6:55 PM
It was a quiet weekend as Dr SWMBO was out on the south left-coast for a frolic with some of her friends from back in the undergraduate days at the University of Chicago. They did a lot of museums and of course, shopping. The gals insisted in giving her "lessons" in shopping for children...of course that meant the malls, which LOML hates. We both are on-line shoppers 90% of the time!

At any rate, I visited with Fred Voorhees for a short period of time on Saturday to see the new "bar/recreation" room which is really awesome...I'll post more comments and a couple pics in his thread. I also helped him figure out a few wiring things to make his sat system, DVD/VCR and LCD TV work happily together. After that, and picking up some nice "cheap" New Jersey gasoline (20 cents less per) I came home and worked in the shop on a spindle project for Byron Trantham. I'm not the "spindle-master", but I think they will be acceptable with a little loving care before the finish goes on.

Sunday entailed a little more turning on the spindles, checking out the OF 1400 for a few minutes to make sure everything was in the box, working on some floor plan ideas for a house addition, shopping for dinner materials, cooking dinner for Dr. SWMBO since I knew she wasn't getting anything more than pretzels on the plane back from LA (poached tilapia, rice, steamed broccoli and sautéed mushrooms all washed down with Pinot Griggio) and then eating it with her while watching "that game"...then I went to bed.

Ken Salisbury
02-07-2005, 7:18 PM
It sure is nice to get help every now and then. Due to my health conditions I have not had a lot of shop time in the last couple months, especially time for claen-up. Friday I decided to go to the shop and start some shop clean-up ([COLOR=DarkRed]my shop looked like the reat end of a commercial sawmill :D ). I worked about 2½ hours when my Son and Son-in-Law stopped by on their way home from work (they both have to pass my house on their way home). I was covered with saw dust, etc and just about worn to a frazzel. We had a cold beer together and the next morning (Saturday) they both showed up at about 10:00 am and proceeded to clean the shop from top to bottom, hauling out all kinds of scrap, sweeping, vacuuming, etc, etc while they made me sit on a stool and shoot the breeze with them.

Now The Old Rebel Workshop looks like it should. Not "Terry Hatfied" clean, but a lot cleaner and neater than it has been for a long time.

Now I have a major problem -- I went out today to turn some stuff for an upcoming craft show in March and was very hesitant to make a mess. I did get over it however and make some sawdust. (p.s. I vacuumed afterwards :D

Fred Voorhees
02-07-2005, 8:22 PM
At any rate, I visited with Fred Voorhees for a short period of time on Saturday to see the new "bar/recreation" room which is really awesome...I'll post more comments and a couple pics in his thread. I also helped him figure out a few wiring things to make his sat system, DVD/VCR and LCD TV work happily together.

Great to see you again Jim. It had been a while since we had hooked up for a visit. Thanks for the big "thumbs up" and also for the assistance on the "electricals".

My woodworking stuff over the weekend consisted of basically fabricating nine raised panel covers for the access openings I cut into my soffits in the bar room. These openings will allow me to run any kind of wiring in the future to almost any point in the room. Also finally hung the pool table light "cause" it was one of the final things I needed to do to bring in the electrical inspector for the final inspection and then its the final/final inspection to get the certificate of occupation. Did manage to also cut the bottoms of the fold down stairs that lead up to the storage area above the new bar room. Since raising the floor when I leveled it up, the stairs didn't quite fold down completely and needed to be trimmed.

JayStPeter
02-07-2005, 8:49 PM
Saturday I went into work to get some stuff done.

Sunday, I spent some time in the shop. Gave the OF1400 a light workout on the poker table project. I'm starting to see the end of this project. Hopefully it'll be out of the shop in a couple weeks. I made the chip tray drawer and got the apron laid out and partially assembled. Also figured out some details.

Jay

John Miliunas
02-07-2005, 9:57 PM
Lots of visitors to the shop this weekend, including our buddy Jeff Sudmeier and my friend Don, who's the guy that gave me that nice W&H molder/planer last year. Did some work with Don, shot the breeze with Jeff and a couple other buddies who stopped by. With all the traffic, didn't get a whole lot done, though some progress was made on LOML's sewing workstation. Watch the ball game, relaxed a bit. You all have a great week, OK?!:) :cool:

David LaRue
02-08-2005, 1:01 AM
Didn't have much shop time this weekend, but I did get a chance to stop by and get a discount on some GROSS STABIL Parallel Clamps (Woodshow special) I got (2) 24" and (2) 40" clamps for $99 plus, a MicoJig splitter and some Hut pen finish. I now need a bigger clamp rack though!

I installed the MicroJig splitter, and made some test custs using the Grrriper. All I've got to way is wow, why did I wait so long? Now I have some Jotaba pen blanks, and need to turn some more pens. :)

<EDIT: Spellin>

Kevin Beck
02-08-2005, 10:08 AM
Started a massive remodel of our master bathroom. Our tiled shower started shedding tiles about 3 months ago and I've been dreading fixing it. I spent Friday afternoon and almost all day Saturday doing demolition. Discovered that the tile in the shower was installed directly over sheetrock, no masonry backer or any sort of vapor barrier. I'm shocked that it lasted 17 years that way. The sheetrock, insulation, and the studs were soaked and some of them had started to rot.

We're planning to replace our bathroom cabinets and countertops to open up the area around the shower. I swear the guy who designed my floor plan must have been on drugs. He had a particular talent for messing up the design of bathrooms and kitchens. Did I mention that I had to lift my refrigerator over my countertop when I moved into the house?

The kitchen is the next (and last) item on the remodel parade. We've been in the house for about 7 years and I'm about tired of remodeling.

Peter Gavin
02-08-2005, 4:41 PM
Spent Saturday building trays for an old chest I'm converting to tool storage. After ripping about twenty sides 1 1/2" wide a little voice told me to change the set up on my saw from crosscut to rip (I was sawing birch laminated MDF). So after setting up the featherboad and getting out my push block the little voice said something still isn't right. So I re-positioned the featherboard and double checked everthing and then pushed the board through with the push block........ and my index finger hanging over the edge:o . Two and a half hours later (and six stiches) I got back home for a late dinner. Worked on the storage again Sunday, but I was a lot slower.

Peter

David LaRue
02-08-2005, 7:05 PM
Peter,

Glad you didn't get hurt worse. Hope you heal fast. Good things thoe inner voices, could have been a lot worse. Thinking back now what would you have differently to prevent the 6 stiches?:confused:

David

Peter Gavin
02-09-2005, 9:09 AM
The first thing I said when I got home was it's time to order the Gripper. Secondly, a friend said he always takes the time to figure out where his fingers will go if something goes wrong before he makes a cut and I think I'll take the time to do that now. The frustrating thing is I spent 25 minutes adjusting the cut to make it safer, and then the very first cut I have an accident.

Peter