PDA

View Full Version : Walnut And Kauri Vase

John Hart
05-22-2011, 5:26 PM
This is a bit of an international down-under/not-down-under piece. The body and pedestal are North American Black Walnut, the upper and lower collars are New Zealand Kauri, and the mouth is Australian Walnut. Finished with WOP and buffed. I hollowed the body pretty thin so this piece is fairly light for its size. 16" X 6". It was kinda hard to take pics cuz it was too tall in the photo booth. I better build some risers!!

Thanks for peekin' :)

Comments and Critiques most welcome

David E Keller
05-22-2011, 5:40 PM
Pretty cool, John, and distinctively yours. I've never turned kauri, but it seems to look different every time I see it. That Aussie walnut is fantastic... I'd love to have a whole tree that looked like that. I think maybe the foot could be a tiny bit larger, but what the heck do I know... You're the guy in two galleries!

Hayes Rutherford
05-22-2011, 5:40 PM
I kinda like the vase part alone without the pedestal but as a whole it is growing on me. The color combinations and workmanship look great.

charlie knighton
05-22-2011, 7:08 PM
very nice....

John Keeton
05-22-2011, 7:34 PM
I am with David on the Australian walnut - WOW! Really some neat wood!

A wider base would help some, I think. But, like David said, your galleries obviously like this style, and I predict the buying public will, as well.

Roger Chandler
05-22-2011, 8:46 PM
A most unusual form, from an unusual man, as usual....;):) ........you do have a flair for the eclectic, and your skill once again shines brightly.

I'm with JK and David on that Aussie walnut......boy what pretty stuff! Let us know how these do with the gallery crowd............I think a lot of folks like things that are not run of the mill, done 10,000 times before items.

For sure this one is art..........very nice, John.

Cathy Schaewe
05-22-2011, 8:46 PM
Your turnings are both non-traditional and distinctive, and both in a positive way. Very nice!

Curt Fuller
05-22-2011, 10:01 PM
John, you make some of the most interesting shapes. This one is really different than anything I've seen and even different that anything you've done I think. You're certainly developing a style that is unique. Beautiful work!

Nate Davey
05-22-2011, 10:24 PM
That is some beautiful wood and they go well with the shape you chose. The shape kind of reminds me of Alex Graham Bells first telephone.

Tim Thiebaut
05-23-2011, 1:02 AM
I am a big fan of this style of your work, and I love that walnut! It is amazing!

John Hart
05-23-2011, 5:30 AM
Thanks for the nice words all. I must agree that the base needed to be a bit wider....not much...but a bit. I should have not interrupted the flow coming up from the stem methinks. But really, I'm pretty happy with this. It looks much better in person and it's cool to hold....not to mention that Australian Walnut. Sheesh..that stuff makes you look really close and it's so dazzling!! I hope to get more. Hard to believe that it was destined for the burn pile.:eek:

Roland Martin
05-23-2011, 6:35 AM
Burn pile??:eek::( You're a hero for saving this little treasure from the licking flames:D. As usual John, this is a very well done work of art and trully a John Hart piece.

bob svoboda
05-23-2011, 9:26 AM
Brrrilliant! Love the wood and what a creative form.

Jim Burr
05-23-2011, 10:07 AM
This one I like. Since Dk's shop isn't big enough for all that down under walnut, he and I will share:p:rolleyes:. +1 on the wider base, but overall...not bad for an old guy:D;):p:rolleyes:

Eric Gourieux
05-23-2011, 12:52 PM
Very nice. You've motivated me to turn a tall base like that for my next HF. I like turning Kauri, but it's so stinking expensive.

jwjerry w kowalski
05-23-2011, 5:42 PM
I love the different woods and the shape, the pedestal with the ring gives it originality and marks the transition from the base to the pedestal, I love details like that. Very nice as always.

David DeCristoforo
05-23-2011, 5:52 PM
Once again, I have to try and "wrap my head" around another Hart piece. Your stuff is so different that one cannot simply like or not like it. There are things about this that I know I like very much. The shape and combination of woods on the upper part of the form for one. And the way the bulb on the stem is cradled by the flair beneath it. That's a very sweet detail and again, most unusual. Not 100% sure on the transition between the stem and the main body of the form. That's gonna take some more thinking...

Steve Schlumpf
05-23-2011, 10:15 PM
Once again, I have to try and "wrap my head" around another Hart piece. Your stuff is so different that one cannot simply like or not like it.

I agree with David! This is not your typical/traditional form and a such I have nothing to compare it to and find that my thoughts on the piece are based on first impressions. As such - this is pretty cool! I know there will always be the standard foot to big/to small type of comments but the truth of this is that you are forging ahead and creating your own style out of combinations of elements from classic vessels! Hey - it's all good!

Your gallery is going to love this one as well! Hope it sells real soon and you'll be motivated to create even more!

Baxter Smith
05-23-2011, 11:31 PM
Pretty neat "conglomeration" of woods and shapes John!

Michelle Rich
05-24-2011, 7:05 AM
JH creation. I can't say I like it, nor do I dislike it. It is so unusual, it will take me awhile to digest this. Well turned and finished, and the wood striking.

John Hart
05-24-2011, 9:27 AM
Thanks again everyone. I am pleased with the piece, although I do admit that some modifications to it might be in order. But then again, maybe then, it wouldn't be unique...maybe. What do I know?...I'm just a woodturner.:D