PDA

View Full Version : Dried Flower

John Hart
05-22-2011, 5:13 PM
Ok...This is a whimsical piece (translated as "kinda weird and bordering on stupid looking")

I turned a highly figured and pock-marked piece of green walnut super thin and let it warp, then put a bulb and stem under it (made of poplar). The bulb is hollowed out and I put a bunch of beans in there, so when you give it a shake...it has the cutest little rattle, like seeds in a pod. :)

Ok....It's stupid. But I made it and I'm posting it. ;)

Finished with WOP and it is 10 X 6

This is your big chance to say some really rotten things and I'll just smile :)

David E Keller
05-22-2011, 5:42 PM
I think this is pretty cool, and I'm glad you found a use for the extra beans. The blub looks a little thick, but I don't know how you could make it rattle if it were any smaller. I love the wavy walnut top and the little void. Very cool.

Hayes Rutherford
05-22-2011, 5:43 PM
You are too hard on yourself saying it is stupid. The bulb looks like it would be comfotable to hold if it were a goblet.

Brian Libby
05-22-2011, 6:08 PM
Nice "flower" ! Neat idea for the beans. I also usually like whimsical (different, off beat, unusual, strange, etc.!!!! :-)

Marty Eargle
05-22-2011, 6:17 PM
Certainly an interesting piece. Sometimes its good not to worry so much about standard forms and just let the wood turn as it does.

The bowl is definitely awesome...the void pretty much makes it. The base, while interesting, almost makes me wonder how it would look if it were flipped so the bulb were at the bottom and what is now the bottom of the base wrapped up around the walnut a bit. But who knows.

Tim Thiebaut
05-22-2011, 7:12 PM
I like anything that is unique and different, and I like the "seed pod" idea. You know as thin as the top is on this, I wonder what would happen if you turned another piece just like this, and then put it into a steam box for a few minutes, do you think you could then form the edges enough to give it the appearance of a curly leaf? Might have to give something like that a shot someday I would love to see the results of that.

John Keeton
05-22-2011, 7:29 PM
John, I love ogee shapes, and the bowl on this one is dead on! Very interesting idea on the beans - could one do the same thing with some #8 lead shot and be able to do a smaller "bead" or "blub"? I think a more spherical blub might look neat.

So, is this one entitled - Shake, Rattle and Warp?

Joe Bradshaw
05-22-2011, 8:54 PM
Great looking piece John. I don't know if its the lacquer fumes, or you just naturally think outside the box.

Roger Chandler
05-22-2011, 9:00 PM
uh, err, uhmmm, eee, ah, lets see now...........frankly, I don't know what to say! :rolleyes::)

Curt Fuller
05-22-2011, 10:04 PM
You know, you've really got an interesting idea going here. Maybe you could use some #9 shot instead of the beans and get a smaller bulb under the flower. But I like where you're headed with this.

Michael James
05-22-2011, 10:59 PM
Never 2 in a row of anything, eh? I don't have the technique to get away with these, as you obviously do! Another interesting piece, very well done!

bob svoboda
05-23-2011, 9:30 AM
Kinda cool and a great use of the leftover beans from your HF.

John Hart
05-23-2011, 9:41 AM
Well...I'll tell ya what folks...You are all TOO KIND. Sheesh :D

However...this fun little interaction has got me thinking...OUCH!!

I think I will try to modify this puppy. The original fanciful whimsical idea might have not been executed well enough by the dope holding the skew. And reading your feedback makes me think of a dozen possible refinements.

Now....if I can just scrape together a few hours......hmmm...maybe between 3am and 6am.:rolleyes:

Steve Hayes
05-23-2011, 12:00 PM
I think it would make a great martini glass.