PDA

View Full Version : Computer question

Doug Keener
02-07-2005, 11:44 AM
Hello everyone

I've had a computer problem and have had to do a system recovery. There are some settings that I had in place that I have totally forgotten how to reset and I can't find the right topic in help to get me there.

I figured someone here may know the answer.

When you run a program there is a setting in windows where you can point to a folder within that program that you always want to open instead of going to your drive, then the program, then the folder and then finally the file.

For example in my CAD drawing program, when I want to open a file I would click on 'open' and it would select the folder with all my drawing files in it.

Since I did the recovery I now have to go to the drive, then program, then folder within the program and then the file I want.

I remember it was simple to do but I just can't remember how. Must be old age!!!

Thanks for any help, Doug

Jeff Sudmeier
02-07-2005, 11:56 AM
Doug, go to any folder in the windows explorer, Open up the folder options dialog. I belive that the setting you were talking about was in there somewhere. Sorry I can't be more help :(

Michael Perata
02-07-2005, 12:46 PM
Doug

If you right click on a folder, or a data file within a folder, it will allow the option of creating a "Shortcut". Click on the Shortcut option and when it is created, drag the Shortcut to your desktop.

Then click on the Shortcut icon and either the folder will open in Explorer mode or if clicking a data file, the program associated with the file type will start with the data file as the focus.

(BTW: A shortcut can be created for any type file [Program, Data, DLL...])

Bobby Hicks
02-07-2005, 12:51 PM
Doug,

If you right click on the CAD program icon (either on the desktop or in the start menu), select properties, then on the shortcut tab. There is a "Start in:" field, fill in the path to where your files are.