PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Urn

John Keeton
05-22-2011, 11:57 AM
This is the second cremation urn (human) that I have completed. Cherry bottom with a curly maple top, the escutcheon is cherry and the finial is curly maple. This form is 10.25" wide x 9" tall to the tip of the finial. Working with these larger forms, and getting the scale and proportions to suit is difficult for me. On the previous urn, I used a taller finial - one I felt was more in proportion to the form. On this one, I decided on a lower profile, but tried to use the high cove base to give some lift to a rather rotund bulb on the finial. A different look, that at first did not appeal to me. But, as this piece has gone through the finishing process, the look has grown on me.

This is a "bottom load" urn, with brass threads (still haven't tackled thread chasing!) and the capacity is 220 cubic inches. Finish is BLO, followed by several coats of satin WOP, buffed to a very nice gloss, and waxed with Ren wax.

I am still working on my concepts for these urns, so I welcome your thoughts. I know most cremation urns are vertical forms, and the next one is planned for that. But, my deep hollowing abilities are limited - thus, the horizontal forms.

Eric Gourieux
05-22-2011, 12:04 PM
John,
That's a beautiful piece. I really like the lines of the top, escutcheon and finial. Since this is a bottom loader, is the top glued to the urn? Nice finish, too.

Dick Wilson
05-22-2011, 12:12 PM
Well, there is some work coming off that Mayo monster John. Interesting insert for the threads. It is a beautiful piece. Nice flowing clean lines and I think the finial works well with the overall piece.

Tim Thiebaut
05-22-2011, 12:14 PM
Very nice John, I think the finial looks good on this to. What did you use for the brass threads, what kind of fitting was it?

Jon Prouty
05-22-2011, 12:35 PM
Hi John,

Interesting piece... to me this one is not exactly working for my personal taste. I am not sure if it is the wood combination or the finial that is drawing my eye. Perhaps a finial that is more simple and shorter to fit the overall form may fit better... perhaps stopping the final right below the onion (a simple cove shape that is slightly larger (wider) than is shown here) with a flat or convex top. That may balance this one a bit more to me. I know you like adding height and lift to your designs but maybe this one could use a bit less.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work - always inspiring to me.

Jon

bob svoboda
05-22-2011, 12:35 PM
Really nice. I'm also interested in your brass threads and how you accomplished that.

Robert McGowen
05-22-2011, 12:42 PM
I am not a giant fan of the wood proportions. I personally would have used much less of the maple for the top portion so that it was more of a contrasting collar, instead of being the entire top half. I really like the way the bottom comes off though, and it seems like it is more "professional" than just glueing the top on after you filled it.

Roger Chandler
05-22-2011, 1:48 PM
Really nice. I'm also interested in your brass threads and how you accomplished that.

John,

Where does one pick up the brass ring with threads? Your urn is very well done..........I like the idea of bottom loading, that makes the top able to be permanently attached.

charlie knighton
05-22-2011, 1:55 PM
very nice, your proportions seem to work well, i'm with Roger, where do you find brass ring with threads?

thanks for sharing

Jim Burr
05-22-2011, 2:03 PM
I like the idea of horizontal, it would seem more stable in it's place of display; typically a mantle or shelf. Threaded brass is common at BORG's in this part of the country.

Roger Chandler
05-22-2011, 2:09 PM
I like the idea of horizontal, it would seem more stable in it's place of display; typically a mantle or shelf. Threaded brass is common at BORG's in this part of the country.

Jim,

Here in my neck of the woods there are no stores named BORG's ..........is this a nick name for something like a Home Depot?

Curt Fuller
05-22-2011, 2:11 PM
John, another beautiful urn! I'm not quite sold on the wood combination on this one but the overall form and proportions look very good to me. And your workmanship is incredible as always. You've managed to give it your 'Keeton' signature look and still keep it functional. I really like the idea of loading and sealing it through the bottom too.

David DeCristoforo
05-22-2011, 2:49 PM
This is very nice and I really like the brass thread insert in the bottom. Even better than if it was threaded wood. I agree with the feeling that the maple top is a bit overwhelming and I also think the bulb on the finial is out of proportion, especially being elevated by the tall, slender cove it sits on. Being a bit claustrophobic, I shudder at the thought of being confined for eternity in something like this. But as a turned piece... I like it very much. It has all the hallmarks of a "Keeton piece"!

Jim Burr
05-22-2011, 4:43 PM
Yes sir it is....although I only go to lowes

John Keeton
05-22-2011, 7:16 PM
Thanks, guys! The cherry/maple combo was actually at the request of the funeral director where this urn is being placed. He felt local woods would do well with our rural population, although I kind of like it more as it ages. The cherry has turned much darker just since turning this piece, and over time, I think the contrast will work better - or not, depending on one's preferences.

Eric, the top is permanently affixed.

David and Jon, the finial is the result of a 3 or 4 sketches - none of which really struck me. I really like a flowing curve coming off the shoulder of the form and sweeping up the finial. But, when a form is this wide, it really gets difficult to do that and keep the overall impact of the finial from being overpowering. Really, this form would have needed a much wider cove base, and a more slender and taller finial. But, when I put that on paper, it really started to look like too much - especially with the curly maple being as pronounced as it is.

I guess the saving grace here is that, in all probability, this piece will end up with an owner that is probably not as well versed in all of that, and simply likes the idea of local woods and local woodturning. That is the plan, anyway!

I am not sure of the intended purpose of the brass fitting, though I think it is the part that connects a commode tank to the base. The brass "nut" was turned round and trimmed for the inserted female threads, and the flared male threaded portion (long enough for a couple of sets of male threads) was chucked and a section parted off for the male threads. My local plumbing supplier is an admirer of my work (and an owner of a couple of pieces), and he is pretty good at helping me "repurpose" various plumbing parts.

Sid Matheny
05-22-2011, 11:40 PM
I really love this one John. I think the brass fitting is a great way to go. I did a Google search for "wood urn images" the other day and have to say the ones you have made are far better IMHO that any of the many I saw.

Sid

Roland Martin
05-23-2011, 6:47 AM
I too think that as this ages, it will only look better. A very nice urn, IMO and a very nice finish.

John Keeton
05-23-2011, 7:55 AM
Sid, Roland - thanks! Sid, in the searching I have done, it seems most all urns are upright vase forms. These horizontal forms are a little different in appearance and they take some getting used to.

Cory Norgart
05-23-2011, 8:27 AM
NIce Urn John. I really like the finish, and the peice in general is out of this world.

David E Keller
05-23-2011, 8:40 AM
I've kept looking at this piece, John. Sometimes I really like it, and other times I'm not so sure. I agree that the maple may be a bit visually dominant, but it's gorgeous maple. I'll bet making something to the specs and preferences of another person is pretty tough to do. The finish is beautiful, and the detail work on the finial is really nice. I hope this leads to sales for you if you enjoy making these.

I find it interesting that David De is most worried about feeling cramped inside an urn when the step immediately prior to that involves extremely high temperatures!

Richard Jones
05-23-2011, 9:13 AM
John,

I really like the shape, not sure about the maple and cherry, but that's why we're all different, eh? The brass threads gave me a idea for incorporating same into the lid. A great alternative to wooden threads.

I have one of those to make for my parents and you've given me some great inspiration, thanks.

Rich

Justin Stephen
05-23-2011, 10:21 AM
I am not a giant fan of the wood proportions. I personally would have used much less of the maple for the top portion so that it was more of a contrasting collar, instead of being the entire top half. I really like the way the bottom comes off though, and it seems like it is more "professional" than just glueing the top on after you filled it.

I tend to agree with Robert here. However, put me down in the "really like the finial" column.

John Keeton
05-23-2011, 10:33 AM
Thanks, guys! The cherry I used was from an old beam, and I was maxed out on the thickness. I order to get the height I needed for the capacity, I had to start the maple at the shoulder - same problem with the last one I did of walnut and curly maple. I do agree on the assessment that a smaller collar would be preferable, but it would take a much thicker piece of cherry/walnut than what I have available at this time. Always on the lookout for more wood, though!!

Getting the capacity on these is a guessing game! There is no real way of knowing what one will have until it is finished and the capacity checked. I really thought this one would be closer to 200 cubic inches, but it went over. I have another piece of cherry of a similar size, and perhaps on that one I will try a smaller collar and see what capacity I get.

Cory, no doubt a slab of your nice ash burl would look good on one of these!

Thanks, again!!

jwjerry w kowalski
05-23-2011, 5:54 PM
John, that's an eyestopper! Beautiful combo of wood and a great finish, I really like it except for the finial, although well done as always, there's just something missing, I think it might be too short to me, but I'm far below your level of artistic talents and technical ability, so what do I know.

Steve Schlumpf
05-23-2011, 9:52 PM
John - nice work as always! As pretty as this wood is at the moment, a few years from now it will be amazing! I hope this leads to many more requests & sales!

Baxter Smith
05-23-2011, 11:36 PM
Very nice wood and work John! Would be interesting to see it in a year or two.

Michelle Rich
05-24-2011, 6:55 AM
as always, beautifully turned. My only nitpick is the wood combo..not my favorite..the squatter form is just fine with me. I have sold shaker boxes as urns, so anything will work. It depends of what catches a buyeer's eye. The brass fittings look very nice.