PDA

View Full Version : Simone's Flame

John Keeton
05-22-2011, 11:45 AM
I was asked by friends to do an urn for the cremains of their beloved feline pet - Simone. This Claro walnut is a portion of a piece from Mike Smith, and easily some of the most beautiful wood I have seen. The flame and colors just cannot be appreciated in these pics. The finial is BE maple, with a Claro inset. The thought is that the snuggly fitting lid would simply be sealed once the cremains are in place.

Dimensions are 2.75" wide x 7.75" to the tip. Fortunately, the block of Claro was rectangular, and the remaining section is perfect for a HF - and the figure in the remaining portion is even better!!

Your thoughts and comments are welcome!

Curt Fuller
05-22-2011, 11:52 AM
Wow, that has to be one of the most beautiful urns I've seen! I love the way the two woods compliment each other. That flame in the walnut is spectacular.
Can't wait to see the piece from the leftovers.

I'm sure your friends will be wowed and treasure this as a final resting spot for their cat.

Shawn Pixley
05-22-2011, 11:54 AM
Outstanding piece, John! There are no words do do justice.

Mark Hazelden
05-22-2011, 12:08 PM
Stunningly beautiful! Both wood grain and form.

Dick Wilson
05-22-2011, 12:14 PM
Another work hot off the Mayo Monster. Beautiful. You are cooking with gas. That floor must be a total disaster:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Tim Thiebaut
05-22-2011, 12:20 PM
That piece of wood looks like its on fire john, absolutly beautiful. I am sure they will love it John.

bob svoboda
05-22-2011, 12:34 PM
Beautifully done, John. It will be treasured.

Robert McGowen
05-22-2011, 12:35 PM
That is an awesome piece of walnut and the finish looks great as well. I am sure the new owners will appreciate the effort that you put into it.

Jon Prouty
05-22-2011, 12:38 PM
love the flow on this one!
Jon

Jeff Moffett
05-22-2011, 12:40 PM
I love this piece, John, and I'm sure your friends are going to be wowed by it.

Roger Chandler
05-22-2011, 1:01 PM
An exceptional piece.......very nice form and overall look.......what a palette to have to make such an artistic piece. I am sure the owners will treasure it as a resting place for their beloved pets remains.

Top shelf, John!

Rick Markham
05-22-2011, 1:27 PM
Spectacular! (as always!)

Ed Morgano
05-22-2011, 1:31 PM
John,
That is beautiful. Nothing else to say.

Roger Chandler
05-22-2011, 1:31 PM
After revisiting this thread, and looking at that wood a 5th time.......that grain is actually 3-dimensional. Your finish just popped it, and I truly believe what you said about the pictures not doing is justice.........that is one I would like to hold in my hands for a few minutes and just soak in the beauty.............

Only problem.........I might have to clean up drool! :D

Wally Dickerman
05-22-2011, 1:47 PM
Okay, that wood is a WOW. Beautiful. You've done it justice with a very well done vessel. 1/16th in. walls and sanded to 600 inside?:)

Makes me wish I could turn some of that high figured claro. I used to turn a lot of walnut but developed a sinus allergy to it.

Jim Burr
05-22-2011, 1:59 PM
Beautiful as we would expect John...an a fine gesture as well!

Alan Trout
05-22-2011, 2:01 PM
John, Very nice form and finial on this. Well Done.

Alan

Russell Eaton
05-22-2011, 2:02 PM
John that is another breathtaking piece. You definitely did justice by that piece of wood.

Steve Schlumpf
05-22-2011, 2:10 PM
Beautiful work John! You have a gift for bringing wood to life in a variety of forms and this one really makes one appreciate what's possible when turning! I am sure Simone's owners will be amazed with the urn!

Very nice work John! Thanks for sharing!

David DeCristoforo
05-22-2011, 2:53 PM
Wow... that is some spectacular walnut! Terrific form also (a bit reminiscent of Steve Schlumph's HFs). I realize that, as an urn, this must have a closure of some sort but I like it best sans lid and finial.

Keith E Byrd
05-22-2011, 4:02 PM
Very nice John - the wood grain and shape are great.

John Hart
05-22-2011, 4:11 PM
Love it!!! This is a wonderful piece John. The form is a delight....and doubly delightful that you did it twice by mirroring it in the finial!!

David E Keller
05-22-2011, 5:50 PM
Oooohs and aaaaaahs! I like this form, but I must admit that I'm surprised to see you've turned it... I didn't think you liked the taller, vase-like hollow forms. That wood is incredible, and the detailing is really nice. The last photo seems to show some discoloration in the finial, but I'm betting that's just the way the figure made the photo look. I don't care for cats, but I'd get one if it came with that urn.

John Hart
05-22-2011, 5:52 PM
.... I don't care for cats, but I'd get one if it came with that urn.

LOL!!!! Now THAT was funny!! :D

Bob Noles
05-22-2011, 5:56 PM
That's just down right sweet John...... Nice work!

Marty Eargle
05-22-2011, 6:09 PM
John, I'm going to be visiting Mr. Smith again in a few weeks and I can see now that I'm going to have to bring my bolt cutters to break into your stash of Claro. I'm turning a Claro bowl currently, but the figure isn't quite as amazing as you HF.

RIP little kitty.

Bill Bolen
05-22-2011, 6:19 PM
A "WOW" piece of wood that you have really brought to life! i think Simone will find her resting place suites her fancy just fine thank you very much!

John Keeton
05-22-2011, 7:01 PM
Thanks for all the kind words!
That floor must be a total disaster:D:D:D:D:D:D:DDick - you know better than that!!!:D The floor was spotless before I ever started the finishing process!:cool:

Okay, that wood is a WOW. Beautiful. You've done it justice with a very well done vessel. 1/16th in. walls and sanded to 600 inside?:)

Makes me wish I could turn some of that high figured claro. I used to turn a lot of walnut but developed a sinus allergy to it.Wally, thanks so much for the comments!! I cherish getting the approval of the Master! Walls are a little less than 1/8", but not 1/16"!! I have small hands, and my index finger will barely fit in the opening, so sanding was down to 150 for about as far as I could get my little dowel sanding pads. If I didn't use the DC system, the walnut would give me fits, as well.

Beautiful as we would expect John...an a fine gesture as well!Jim, while I would like to take credit for an act of kindness, this "gesture" had $$ associated with it!:o

Oooohs and aaaaaahs! I like this form, but I must admit that I'm surprised to see you've turned it... I didn't think you liked the taller, vase-like hollow forms. That wood is incredible, and the detailing is really nice. The last photo seems to show some discoloration in the finial, but I'm betting that's just the way the figure made the photo look. I don't care for cats, but I'd get one if it came with that urn.David, like most things, the more I kept looking at the vase forms, the more I had an urge to try some. I think the next human urn will be an upright form, too. The finial is BE maple, so what you are seeing is the figure from that. And, I don't care for cats either!! But, I do like the folks that owned Simone!:)

John, I'm going to be visiting Mr. Smith again in a few weeks and I can see now that I'm going to have to bring my bolt cutters to break into your stash of Claro. I'm turning a Claro bowl currently, but the figure isn't quite as amazing as you HF.

RIP little kitty.Marty, just so you know, the alarm system on that stash is very sensitive! Be careful of the snake pit, too!!

charlie knighton
05-22-2011, 7:06 PM
very nice...

Cathy Schaewe
05-22-2011, 8:51 PM
I don't care for cats, but I'd get one if it came with that urn.

Ha!

John, beautiful piece -

Joe Bradshaw
05-22-2011, 8:58 PM
John, you keep raising the bar for the rest of us. What a fitting final resting place for a beloved pet. It is really unfortunate that I live so close to Mike Smith. I have to limit my trips to his place.

Robert Culver
05-22-2011, 9:50 PM
John thats one awesome chunk of wood Phew..... I love the form I think all our urns are glued on at the top.... I love the final too it will be a nice piece to show resepect for there loved pet nice job.

Nate Davey
05-22-2011, 10:26 PM
Wow, thats the best I got. Spectacular wood and the superior craftsmanship we look forward to seeing from you, John.

Sid Matheny
05-22-2011, 11:24 PM
WOW That is just a wonderful job of turning and super timber. Way to good for a cat! I'm a dog guy!

Sid

mickey cassiba
05-22-2011, 11:46 PM
Mr. K, that urn is just ...well...unreal.It's got an ethereal look to it. Well named, flame seems to be the essence of this one.

Dan Forman
05-23-2011, 3:36 AM
Unreal is the term that popped into my head too when i saw that wood too, and the form is exquisite as well.

Dan

Roland Martin
05-23-2011, 4:38 AM
Now, that is the "poster child" of Claro figure. Great form and finish, John.

Norm Zax
05-23-2011, 4:56 AM
Feeling a bit envy towards Simone now. Hmmm....

John Keeton
05-23-2011, 7:52 AM
Thanks, folks, for the additional comments! I am holding the remainder of this Claro for a yet unrealized inspiration. It deserves to be showcased in some manner.

Baxter Smith
05-23-2011, 11:45 PM
Amazing piece of wood. I am looking forward to seeing the next piece of it!

Ian Jeffcock
05-24-2011, 3:40 AM
Stunning! I love it.

Michelle Rich
05-24-2011, 6:38 AM
My, my, is this astounding, visually luxurious, eye candy? Woooweeee, what wood. The only problem, John is my 4 dogs & the cat are all looking at me & questioning why I have not turned such lovely resting places for them. I should know better than to show JK stuff to them !! :-) :-0 Now I'll have to up my game & I will still fall short.
I'm sure your clients will find this a lovely tribute to their friend.

Donny Lawson
05-24-2011, 6:39 AM
Beautiful piece of carlo. You did a great job on the Urn. The customer will be very happy.

Harvey Ghesser
05-24-2011, 1:10 PM
Did somebody say cat?

jwjerry w kowalski
05-24-2011, 6:31 PM
John, this is extraordinarily beautiful, what a work of art, I like everything about this one and the wood is so outstanding I could look at this one forever.

John Keeton
05-24-2011, 7:00 PM
I really do appreciate the kind words from everyone. The customer is, in fact, very pleased. I have done only a few commission works, and I always do them on a take it or leave it basis - if it doesn't suit the customer, there is no obligation to buy. Ultimately, I need to please my own need to express my art, and then hope it meets the needs of the buyer.

Michelle, with your talents, your pets deserve nothing but the finest! Quit working on all those other diversions and get to work on some urns!!

Lee Koepke
05-24-2011, 7:56 PM
There's no way that looks BETTER in person!!!!

I think you are right, it may be the most beautiful piece of wood I've seen. thanks for sharing that .... by the way, I like the finial alot too !!!

Ken Fitzgerald
05-24-2011, 7:59 PM
John....truly a stupendous piece! Gorgeous!