PDA

View Full Version : Engraving text not aligning properly

mike klein
05-22-2011, 9:51 AM
I made some keychains for a customer a couple weeks ago out of some walnut
and the other day they brought them back to have me engrave personal names
on the back side of them. I made the exact size shape and size of the item in Corel
draw and everything measured out perfectly. I laid out 10 pieces horz. across the top
of the engraving bed and did a test engrave on the last piece to the right.

The text engraved way off center, over to the left of the left side of the object. I checked
the measurement of the item in Corel draw and the right side of the object is 10.5" from the
left side and the same is true in the engraver. The home position is right on the money.

After checking the other pieces, I am finding that the first piece at the home position
engraved perfectly but the engraved text in every piece after the first one moves
progressively to the left.

Any thoughts?

Mike Null
05-22-2011, 12:42 PM
Mike

Did you have a look at the drawing in wireframe view to see if something else may be there--such as invisible boxes or outlines?

mike klein
05-22-2011, 12:58 PM
Mike,

There are no other objects on the template. I did re-align the home position which helped a little bit but still have
the problem

Mike195420

Michael Conley
05-22-2011, 1:07 PM
Mike,

Is each name a separate text object, aligned horizontally and vertically to the enclosing ovals? If so, then I would ungroup all of the text objects, align the first and last text objects to their respective ovals, and then redistribute all the text objects horizontally. I would also double-check that each text object is center aligned.

mike klein
05-22-2011, 1:58 PM
I made a short video showing exactly how I am aligning the text with the ovals. I first select the text then the oval, press the C key then the E key which aligns the objects both Horz. and Vert. The text objects are center aligned both horz. and ver.

Mike

http://www.precngraving.com/ovals.avi

John Noell
05-22-2011, 2:48 PM
One time I had a similar issue and was in a frustrated hurry. So, I put a tight hairline box around each text block, vectored with zero power so I could see exactly where it was going to put my boxes (and text), and moved the boxes (with text) a bit at a time until they came out in the right places on my work. A real kluge but it worked.

mike klein
05-22-2011, 2:57 PM
One time I had a similar issue and was in a frustrated hurry. So, I put a tight hairline box around each text block, vectored with zero power so I could see exactly where it was going to put my boxes (and text), and moved the boxes (with text) a bit at a time until they came out in the right places on my work. A real kluge but it worked.

John,

I've had to do that before also, but in my thinking you shouldn't have to if all the measurements come out correctly.

Example: If you cut some piece of material exactly 1" square and later down the road the customer brings them back
to have something engraved on the other side. You should be able to lay say 10 pieces out on the engraving table
across the top, set up your 1" squares in Corel with the text aligned horz. and vert. to each square and the engraving
should come out perfect...but it don't. The machine seems to shift each text block slightly to the left....There has to be
a reason for this and I'm calling Epilog tomorrow to hopefully get a answer.

In the mean time, I just laid 3 of my items on the table at a time to be engraved...Least I can get the job done today.

Mike

Martin Boekers
05-22-2011, 4:49 PM
Don't know if this will apply or not as I use a vector outline lasered on scrap to place the piece
on to engrave.

Sometimes I have an issue when I put the piece on the vectered spot and the raster doesn't
line up correctly.

This is an issue with the gear on the "X" motor has dust in it. I fix it by scraping it clean with a pin.
I clean this about once a month or sooner if I am using a substrate that gives off a bunch of dust.

John Noell
05-22-2011, 7:20 PM
I've had to do that before also, but in my thinking you shouldn't have to if all the measurements come out correctly. I could not agree more. And the vast majority of time I can plonk the pieces back in the laser and align to a fraction of a millmetre. However, when the customer is waiting and you are banging your head against the side of the laser in frustration... :)

Dan Hintz
05-23-2011, 6:02 AM
Mike,

I assume Epilogs have a correction factor for the X and Y axes... normally it's set to 1.00 for each axis, but you may need to modify your slightly in the X direction if you're positive the squares are 1" wide but are still not lining up.

mike klein
05-23-2011, 8:47 AM
Dan,

I believe there is a setting in the menu for that, I completely forgot all about it. I'm still going to call Epilog today and get their input.

Mike

Mike,

I assume Epilogs have a correction factor for the X and Y axes... normally it's set to 1.00 for each axis, but you may need to modify your slightly in the X direction if you're positive the squares are 1" wide but are still not lining up.

Richard Rumancik
05-23-2011, 11:43 AM
I know you are probably in a hurry to get this job done, but after the dust has settled I assume you want to find out what is really going on.

I would suggest that you change all your test to artistic text rather than paragraph text. I have less confidence in using paragraph text for short text strings but I can't prove it won't work. You could also consider converting to curves as a last resort and aligning the object.

If none of this helps, I would get a piece of matboard or something similar. Make a test file and replace all the names with a single text character such as an upper case "I" (or multiple odd-number of I's) so that you can determine if the center of the text string is aligned or not. Perhaps you could add some vector crosshairs to the oval tags to define the centerlines for more accurate evaluation. Plot the vector images; then go back and plot the raster text on the matboard as you would on the real parts. Do the centers of text and centerline of the outline match?

If the correction algorithm has been implemented properly in the driver, then when you enter an axis correction factor it should stretch or contract the whole image (both vector and raster) on-the-fly, moving all the local object origins in proportion to the correction. It would (i.e. should) shift the vector outline for part placement by the same amount as it would shift the text.

So if I had a combination job like yours (vector fixture and raster part text) I probably would not attempt to use a correction factor at all, because if it shifts the vector image by the same factor as the raster, you will have approximately the same error.

If you have time to try the tests above and report what you see, maybe I or someone else here can come up with something. Also keep us posted as to what Epilog suggests.

Andrew Mammoliti
05-23-2011, 2:47 PM
I had a issue like this in the past with xenetech laser, it turned out to be software related I was using xgw software. Now I am having a new issue with text going to the right! Go figure! We changed encoder that did not work, sooo we are still working on a fix atm.

mike klein
05-23-2011, 8:28 PM
Got it fixed. Called Epilog support this morning and the first thing they told me todo was clean the encoder strip. I have to admit
it was dirty. After the cleaning the text engraved perfectly from left to right but I noticed that is was off about 1/32" (to far to the left) as far as matching the software layout. Adjusted the X-Home position and now the engraving bed matches up perfectly
with the page layout in Corel draw.

Mike

Dee Gallo
05-23-2011, 8:44 PM
Mike, I recently found out (the hard way) that the encoder strip needs to be cleaned after using a dusty substrate PLUS the little mirror off to the far left side which you don't normally see... mine gets dusty and I've been cleaning both every day now for best results. AND checking the obvious mirror. Once it becomes routine, it's no thing to do and means a big headache gone!

I was getting skewed engraving, but it was wilder looking than yours. See my thread about neglecting maintenance for a laugh.

cheers, dee

mike klein
05-23-2011, 9:02 PM
See my thread about neglecting maintenance for a laugh.

cheers, dee

Dee,

And my other job is a service/maintenance guy. I should know better. :o

Mike

Dee Gallo
05-23-2011, 11:50 PM
Dee,

And my other job is a service/maintenance guy. I should know better. :o

Mike

Tsk, tsk. Is this like the old saying about the cobbler's son going barefoot?