PDA

View Full Version : Jet 1642 used vs new

Patrick Ely
05-22-2011, 9:43 AM
I am in the market for a bigger lathe and think I have narrowed it down to the 1642. I would love a PM but just can't quite justify the price tag at the moment. So here are my questions does anyone know if the jets will be going on sale anytime soon like this summer? and is there a price hike in the near future? As for used machines one actually popped up on craigslist near me but it comes with a lot of extras which I don't really need. Any issues with buying a used EVS? I didn't mind buying my jet 1220 used but fixing any problems with a EVS machine is over my head a little. Thanks for all of your help this place is great!
Cheers
Pat

Donny Lawson
05-22-2011, 10:40 AM
I bought my 1642 about 2 months ago when it went on sale. Well worth the investment. I too was looking at the PM but when I thought about it both lathes had sliding headstock,EVS,digital readout,1 1/2 or 2hp models and most of the other features as the PM. The big difference was the Jet was "on sale" and" Half "the price of the PM. I thought I could spend the extra money saved on some tools I've been needing so I now own a nice 1 1/2hp jet with some new turning tools. I do not regret it a bit. As far as another sale I'm not sure when that will be. Either way if money is an issue,remember the Jet is HALF the price of the PM.

Patrick Ely
05-22-2011, 11:10 AM
Just found out a little more about the used 1642. It is 3-4 years old and looks to be in good condition the owner says there is only about 20 hrs on it. I am leaning towards picking it up any reasons to be concerned with a used 3-4 year old machine??? Man and I thought I would be happy with my 1220 for a while but it hasn't even lasted 2 years!!!!

Donny, glad to hear your happy. There may still be a PM in my future just not now. The jet seems like a great machine and am looking forward to it.

David Gilbert
05-22-2011, 11:22 AM
Patrick,

I have a 1642 and really like it. Since there are very few of these that come up on Craigs List, I would jump at it. You can always sell the extras that you don't need and buy some other tools and accessories.

Cheers,
David

John Keeton
05-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Patrick, there are annual sales - one of which was just recently. However, if you look at the annual increase in pricing (even at the modest inflation rates over the last 2-3 years), they have been in the range of 10-12% and have eroded any savings gained by waiting for another sale, IMO.

You don't mention the price of the used lathe, or the accessories, so the "deal" cannot be assessed. However, I don't think I would hesitate because of it being lightly used. The only decision would be whether you are saving enough to account for the partial loss of warranty. At this point, I would suspect that if something were going to go wrong - it would have already happened.

Mark Hazelden
05-22-2011, 12:16 PM
Patrick,

I just bought a new Jet 1642 2 HP because I could not find a used one. I would not be afraid of buying the one you are looking at. If anything bad was going to happen, it would have in the first 20 hours. My Jet came with a 5 year warranty, so maybe you still have some time left. Just check it out well, buy it and don't look back.

Prices only seem to be only going up from here.

And yes, I'm thrilled with mine.

And for a point of reference, I paid $2156 delivered last month.

Mark

Mark Hazelden
05-24-2011, 10:24 PM
Patrick,

Did you you buy it.... did ya, huh,huh did ya? The suspense is killing me

Karl Card
05-24-2011, 10:54 PM
Patrick,

Did you you buy it.... did ya, huh,huh did ya? The suspense is killing me

LOL i was wondering the same thing...

Tim Rinehart
05-25-2011, 9:48 AM
Patrick,
My first lathe was a used 1642, 1.5 HP. It was probably 7 yrs old or so...and had a good bit of use, and still ran like a champ. I bought mine for about $1200 and sold it one year later for same amount when I decided I wanted a bit larger lathe, with the 3520.
No regrets on this, especially if you can hear and feel it run before loading it up.

Jim Burr
05-25-2011, 11:05 AM
There is usually a big Fall sale in Oct-Nov...not always, usually. I'll be adding a 1642 during that sale.

Bill Wyko
05-25-2011, 7:20 PM
Patrick, there are annual sales - one of which was just recently. However, if you look at the annual increase in pricing (even at the modest inflation rates over the last 2-3 years), they have been in the range of 10-12% and have eroded any savings gained by waiting for another sale, IMO.

You don't mention the price of the used lathe, or the accessories, so the "deal" cannot be assessed. However, I don't think I would hesitate because of it being lightly used. The only decision would be whether you are saving enough to account for the partial loss of warranty. At this point, I would suspect that if something were going to go wrong - it would have already happened.

I have to agree with John here. I bought my 1442 for 699.99 in 2006 not even on sale. The price is now $1350.00 I think that is is just outrageous. Wait for a sale and it might go up
30% before you get a 10% discount. good luck though.

Patrick Ely
05-25-2011, 8:13 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I am going to take a look at it this week. Couldn't make it over the weekend because of graduation festivities for my wife, she is now an official nurse practitioner!!! The lathe is $1500 or $1750 with accessories. A couple of days ago I was pretty committed to getting it but am having second thoughts again with the grizzly G098 back up for sale. 18 swing and 2 hp would be awfully nice. I have some large 18-20 in maple blanks just staring at me.

Patrick Ely
05-25-2011, 8:25 PM
One more question will the 1642 with the 1.5 HP be acceptable for coring or do you really need the 2 hp?
thanks

Jake Helmboldt
05-25-2011, 10:52 PM
the 2HP for coring isn't mandatory, but certainly better. I can stall my 2 hp without trying hard with the McNaughton coring system.

Derek Voigt
05-26-2011, 8:58 AM
Oh the Grizzly G0698 is back up? I would go for that one, I think it is a great mid point between some of the 16" swing lathes and the PM's

Greg Bolton22
05-26-2011, 12:53 PM
I got my 1642 last year on a July 4th sale. It was 15% off and free shipping which brought it to just barley over $1600. I looked into a used lathe before that but it was $1500 and I was told the warranty from Jet is not transferable. It made more since to spend the extra to get a machine under warranty. Whichever one you get, you will love it, I know I do!

Greg