PDA

View Full Version : Keeping super glue fresh

george wilson
05-21-2011, 11:23 PM
In another forum,unclogging super glue came up. I commented that I keep mine in the fridge,and have some that is easily 3 years old. Keeping it cold also keeps most of the clogs liquid,except a little at the top,so it is easier to unclog.

I keep my hide glue in the fridge,too,though it won't last too many days before it starts to rot. It does last a lot longer than keeping it at room temp,however. Not a bad idea to also keep liquid hide glue in the fridge too. I just set the plastic bottle in hot water and get it good and warm before use. It gets VERY thin and easy to get all over everything when warm,but also penetrates the fibers of wood better.

Chris Fournier
05-22-2011, 1:04 PM
Super glue is a bit super and a bit notsosuper! I have learned to buy it in the smallest quanitity possible - 1 oz. for me and keep it in the lowest RH environment possible. I have kept it in the fridge but don't like the viscosity and warm up issues. I keep mine on the shelf in a heavy zipper bag with a desicant which I change out every week. I haven't had super glue last for three years on the shelf like this but a year is no biggie and the viscosity stays pretty consistent. I do keep a stock of extra bottle tops as I have to whittle and pare them back over time as the glue bungs them up.

Niels Cosman
05-22-2011, 1:31 PM
I have a couple bottles of Satellite City Hot Stuff that have kept really well for at least 1-2 years on the shelf in the shop. I just make sure that I put the cap right back on and that I squeeze the extra air out of the container before I put the cap on. God knows I need it on hand for all the chunks and chips that I constantly need re-attach and then get back to work.