PDA

View Full Version : just a reminder

charlie knighton
05-21-2011, 9:41 PM
just a reminder, if you use a chuck, if you keep it oiled, blanks will not pop out, as much

i am not exactly sure why oiling the chuck helps so much, but it helps.....

Steve Vaughan
05-21-2011, 10:52 PM
Good thought. I've got two that I've not put any oil on, but it makes sense...my guess is that you're able to tighten 'er down quite a bit more if there a bit of lube.

Keith Westfall
05-22-2011, 12:08 AM
What about the dust and stuff that oil would attract/collect?

Nathan Hawkes
05-22-2011, 12:37 AM
Trust me; the chuck will attract and collect dust, stuff, and any other substances that are anywhere near it, regardless of whether or not you oil the chuck. Actually, on second thought, if you do NOT oil the chuck, the chances are much greater that it will attract quite a bit more dust as it sits on your shelf/wall/whatever, while you use other, better functioning chucks......
Seriously though, oiling your chuck is a good idea. I do it periodically, followed by a minute or two running at full rpm (3250 for my PM) with a paper towel held in front of it when you start the lathe, to guard against the oil spraying you in the face, then another wipe down of the chuck body with a clean paper towel after the minute at high speed.

Karl Card
05-22-2011, 12:44 AM
I have a cleaner that I got at woodcraft, 2000 something or another but I spray it on the chuck to get all the "junk" off then spray camomile oil on it... does pretty good..