PDA

View Full Version : Miter Slot Thought Question?

James Phillips
05-21-2011, 3:04 PM
I just noticed a strange problem today.

I have two miter gauges for my table saw and I have adjust one for each side to get a square cut, but I cannot get a square cut from a single gauge on both sides of the blade. The error is pretty small, but I am a little picky.

Here is what I have ruled out. I have measure both slots for squareness to the blade and both are with a thou. Lets assume the are off in opposite directions (which I do not think they are) that would give a mis-alignment of the miter slots of about 2 thous over ~8 in. I would not think this is enough to be visibly out of square.

Thoughts?

John TenEyck
05-21-2011, 3:50 PM
Are you sure your blade is parallel to one miter slot? If it's out of alignment that could explain why you can get each side square when using separate miter gages, but not when switching them to the other side.

James Phillips
05-21-2011, 4:25 PM
Are you sure your blade is parallel to one miter slot? If it's out of alignment that could explain why you can get each side square when using separate miter gages, but not when switching them to the other side.

Both slots are within a thou of being parallel. My saw is a "high end" cabinet saw so I expect they should be machined pretty precise

Jamie Buxton
05-21-2011, 4:50 PM
Do the miter gauges rattle in the slots?
Are the faces of the miter guages uncurved?

James Phillips
05-21-2011, 5:33 PM
Do the miter gauges rattle in the slots?
Are the faces of the miter guages uncurved?
No rattle and they are straight.

I am starting to think there could be a subtle difference in my "technique" on one side versus the other, but I have not been able to detect it. The good news is the error is consistent and I can account for it

John TenEyck
05-21-2011, 6:57 PM
I think you misunderstood my question - or I your answer. Is your blade parallel to either miter gage slot? If the slots are parallel, as you think, then maybe your blade is askew. That could result in square cuts on the side where the blade is skewed away from the miter slot, but would give unsquare cuts when using that miter gage in the other slot. The same would be true when using the other miter gage - each only produces square cuts on one side.

James Phillips
05-21-2011, 7:15 PM
I think you misunderstood my question - or I your answer. Is your blade parallel to either miter gage slot? If the slots are parallel, as you think, then maybe your blade is askew. That could result in square cuts on the side where the blade is skewed away from the miter slot, but would give unsquare cuts when using that miter gage in the other slot. The same would be true when using the other miter gage - each only produces square cuts on one side.

Both slots are within a thou of parallel with the blade

John TenEyck
05-22-2011, 11:25 AM
OK, if the two slots and your blade are all parallel, it must be your technique. I suggest you use a crosscut sled if you want to make dead on crosscuts on both sides of your blade. Once you dial in the sled, it's foolproof for a saw as well set up as yours.