PDA

View Full Version : The difference between lucky and stupid

Curt Fuller
05-21-2011, 11:24 AM
I've been following Joan Kelly's tragic accident and the subsequent posts on face shields. If there's any good that could come from her accident, it's the eye opening lesson that this woodturning hobby we all enjoy can be deadly. I personally am guilty of being a slow learner. I have a 3/4" thick particle board shelf above my lathe with a fist sized chunk knocked out of the edge from an elm crotch bowl blank with a bark inclusion that came apart. Never touched me, but made such a racket that my wife came out to see what had happened. That was a couple years ago. I have a freezer about 15 feet from my lathe with a 6" divot in the door from another piece of wood that came off my lathe and ricocheted around the room. Again, never touched me. I've even had wood come off, bounce around the garage, and I've never found where it went. As I've stopped to think about it, I can't count the number of 'incidents' I've had with flying wood. Considering the nature of the type of turning I like to do, I've been very lucky. I've never owned a face shield. But mostly I realized that I've been very stupid. Of course, Joan Kelly wasn't stupid, she was the farthest thing from it. She just didn't have the benefit of having this tragic accident happen to someone else.
According to the UPS tracking, my Uvex Bionic should be here Tuesday.

bob svoboda
05-21-2011, 11:55 AM
Great decision, Curt. Wear it in good health.

Mark Hazelden
05-21-2011, 1:21 PM
Curt,

I think we all have had the thought that it could have been us instead. This tragedy will always be on my mind.

We can't live in fear but we can more careful.

David E Keller
05-21-2011, 1:24 PM
I agree with your thoughts, Curt. My faceshield got here about two weeks ago, and I haven't used the lathe without it since. I don't mind wearing it, but prior to Joan's accident, I never felt it was a priority. I never knew Joan, but I would imagine that she'd be proud that so many turners have started to put safety at a higher priority because of her. I feel like I owe her a debt of gratitude for making me realize how careless I've been.

Jim Burr
05-21-2011, 1:35 PM
A friend of mine on another forum said that as woodworkers, our first priority should be our health, not how thin, how tall or how many coats of whatever finish. Started to hang my shield on the tailstock so it's in my hand to start. Your a good man Curt!!...oops..you too doc!

Jeff Fagen
05-21-2011, 1:41 PM
I recently had a piece of wood bounce off of my face shield with a pretty good thump reminding me why I wear it!

Dick Wilson
05-21-2011, 1:50 PM
I agree that Joan's tragedy has been a big time wake up call to a lot of turners out there. It is just a damn shame that the call came this way. I just has a guy tell me this morning that he has NEVER had anything come off the lathe (and he doesn't where a face shield ) I said "Never, you don't turn very much do you?" "Good Luck". I just got wacked with a bottle stopper applying finish. I'll bet that there are pen turners who have had pieces hit them. If the lathe is spinning, crap can happen and get ya, period.

Greg Ketell
05-21-2011, 3:05 PM
My son was turning his first inside-out ornament. He lost focus for 1/2 a second when someone came into the garage and had a bad snag. The 4 pieces took off in different directions.

One hit the lamp (see attached). Another one flew past my ear close enough to move hair, left the garage, crossed the 2-lane parking area, and embedded itself 3 feet into a hedge. We didn't find that one for 6 months.

I wasn't even turning and almost lost my beauty!

Ed Morgano
05-21-2011, 3:25 PM
The title of this thread says it all and we've probably all been lucky and stupid at times.... Other times we get hurt. I too ordered my face shield because I'm just getting into turning bowls and the like. I did my first one today (without my face shield) and it really bothered me that I didn't have one. As soon as I get it, the lathe won't be turned on unless I'm wearing it.

Dennis Simmons
05-21-2011, 5:37 PM
I agree with your thoughts, Curt. My faceshield got here about two weeks ago, and I haven't used the lathe without it since. I don't mind wearing it, but prior to Joan's accident, I never felt it was a priority. I never knew Joan, but I would imagine that she'd be proud that so many turners have started to put safety at a higher priority because of her. I feel like I owe her a debt of gratitude for making me realize how careless I've been.

I had a users manual for my fathers 1948 craftsman lathe. I can not find it, however I can not remember the stock size or lathe speed, I think it stated that if a 4x4 stock turning 2000 rpm, ejected from the lathe, it would have an impact speed of 125 mph in 2 feet. I have Googled this in many arrangement of words, but can not fine it. My fathers brother was killed on a wood lathe on Christmas eave 1951. I have never forgot that, in the 50 years I have used a wood lathe. It is sad that something like this makes people think.

Bill Wyko
05-21-2011, 5:51 PM
On your new shield, use some rainex on it. It'll help with dust removal. I use one myself. Can't tell you the last time I used safety glasses. I just treat it like it's a baseball cap with a BIG visor.;) A chunk of wood could destroy safety glasses no problem, there not designed for anything sizeable, just a brad nail or a little dust. A shield is a must. Remember everyone, take that little nano second before you hit that power switch to ask yourself "Is everything right before I start."
I think one of the saddest things about injury or death by power tools is, we're trying to make a thing of beauty that can so easily turn into a tragic outcome. My prayers are with Joan's family, God bless.

Michael James
05-21-2011, 7:22 PM
I've pitched a few in the earlier days, and it is a rush. Im much more intelligent in my approach these days, and will continue with the eye and lung protection. I use the Delta 46-460 and have never used the "fast" belt. I seem to be able to get everything out of the mid range until sanding...then slower. I have always respected power tools and that's why I still have all my digits, but it only takes one bad hit to ruin it...forever apparently.

My worst fear is actually taking out a window in lil missie's car.:eek:
mj

David E Keller
05-21-2011, 7:37 PM
My worst fear is actually taking out a window in lil missie's car.:eek:
mj

There is no faceshield on Earth that will protect you from momma's wrath!

Tim Thiebaut
05-21-2011, 8:11 PM
I bought this same face shield 3 months or so ago, a couple months after I started turning, I will admit that on little things I dont wear it, spindles and the like, but any of the bowls and Hollow Vessels I have done I wear it. I have several pieces smack directly into the face shield right in front of my nose...that will wake you up. I have a lot of respect for power tools, and even a little fear with some of them...I think its healthy.

Jeff Nicol
05-21-2011, 9:46 PM
No matter how many tradgedies like Joans happen there will be another one down the road, as new people start turning theywill not have been exposed to the lessons we here on SMC have learned. In the many hundreds of hours I have spent turning on wood and metal lathes, I have only had 3 things come off the lathe that actually "FLEW" around, of course one got me in the forhead and 28 stitches, but the worst thing about that one is that I was not turning at the time, but getting ready for lunch and just turned on the lathe for a few seconds to show my Dad how the bowl was progressing, and well it broke into 3 pieces and one got me. The other was a big hunk of bark and the last one was a little cup that I had started between centers with a spur drive. The little one came off because I was turning it way to fast and the drive was not seated good into the wood. As Michael said "Speed" is not always needed to get the job done and when the blank is heavy and out of balance this is the most dangerous time because of its mass. When you are down to the finished piece the weight is minimal most times and the danger is lessoned, but this is when many speed the lathe up and bad things happen.

I have 2 face sheilds and I use them every time I am roughing out larger items where I am taking a lot of wood off or if I am not sure what will happen when I get into the wood and find a crack or a shake or whatever. The way I address the blank most times is with my body to the right of the blank and not right in front of it, but that changes when doing spindles and starting things between centers, so most always my body is never in the line of fire.

Another thing I make sure and do is after I start turning, in a few minutes I stop the lathe and check to make sure that everything is tight and tighten the tailstock etc. It is a good habit to get into as part of your safe working plan.

Stay safe and enjoy every minute you can in the shop,

Jeff

Mike Cruz
05-21-2011, 10:29 PM
I bought the Bionic Face Shield for turning. I've found myself wearing it, not only for turning, but at the Table saw. Not too long ago, I had a 2" x 2.5" x 4 " piece of lacewood (with ALL sharp edges) get flung from my TS blade, hitting me square on the chin. It bled, and bruised me quite a bit. Another time, I had an 8" x 12" x 3/4" piece of plywood get thrown by my TS right into my gut (luckily right under my ribs). I'm convince it would have broken ribs if it had hit them. Knocked the wind out of me. Consequently, I wear my leather turning apron on ALL machines now. Learing from other's mistakes as well as your own is key to safety.

Harry Robinette
05-23-2011, 12:04 AM
I've been turning about 12 years now and have thrown my share of thing off the lathe BUT NOT ONE OF THEM FLEW ACROSS THE SHOP and beat up the walls,other machines or broke the windows. I think allot more guys are TURNING WAY,WAY,WAY TO FAST.

Rick Markham
05-23-2011, 1:53 AM
Curt, congrats on getting a faceshield! A great investment!

I think it is easy for us to underestimate the potential of our lathes... it reminds me of the recent post of the member whom had an experience with a kickback on his chainsaw, and wisely he was wearing his safety gear he had worn for 10+ years of using chainsaws. He said had always thought if he had a kickback that he would see it, when he actually had one it was so fast he didn't realize it had happened until after it was over and done with. Luckily he was wearing his gear, and it saved him. It's the one that you don't see, and have no possiblity of avoiding that's the scary one.

Joan's loss is horrible. Hopefully everyone does a good inventory of their safety practices, and then passes that knowledge along to their fellow turners.

mickey cassiba
05-23-2011, 2:53 AM
There are certain principals that need to be remembered when operating any sort of machinery. The primary rule is to be aware of the possible ejection path of of work or tooling...and to stay out of that path! This applies to sanders, sewing machines, tillers, table saws, and even lathes. PPE is important, but the most important safety device is that which is nestled between your ears. Joan's death is a tragedy, as is the injury or death of anyone operating a machine, however, 99.9% of injuries are avoidable. A flack jacket won't save you if you stand in front of a cannon. Just sayin'...
BTW I do have a shield, and my lathe does not have a guard. My other tools have all safety devices installed, and functional...but be aware of where the work piece, or tool may go, and avoid it's path. I have managed to avoid injury on the job and at my hobbies by adhering to this simple rule. The only time I've been hurt "on the job" is when an adversary aimed his rifle at me and pulled the trigger. And if I could've figured that 'ejection path', I wouldn't have gotten hurt then either.
I'm not trying to make small of the recent deaths involving lathes, but both tragedies were avoidable.