PDA

View Full Version : Trends in Tool Selling

Dave Brandt
02-07-2005, 10:33 AM
I've seen plenty on tool buying recently, but how about tool selling. I know the mere thought of selling off our tools makes most of of cringe in fear, but I really want to know if there's any "right" way to get rid of stuff. I'll be moving south sometime later this year and don't even want to think about moving the bigger equipment (tablesaw, bandsaw, jointer, etc.). Yard (shop) sales, auctions, newspaper? Any thoughts?

Oh, don't feel bad about this "clean sweep." I will be upgrading once we move. :D

Frank Pellow
02-07-2005, 11:04 AM
Donating tools that you no longer want to a worthy cause or person is what works best for me.

In my most recent case (2 old table saws, 2 jig saws, 2 drills, 1 router), that cause was the Habit for HumanityRehab Store.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-07-2005, 11:14 AM
Frank has a good idea for the smaller items!

I would think that your best bet would be the classified ads or ebay. I don't think most yard sale shoppers are looking for heavy iron :)

Steven Wilson
02-07-2005, 11:33 AM
I've had pretty good luck selling here on the creek and other woodworking sites. I try those first, along with my local woodworking and woodturning guilds. After that then it's time for Ebay and local papers.

Ed Hardin
02-07-2005, 5:17 PM
Hey Dave, movin South is probably the best move (pun intended) you've ever made. I agree about trying the forums first. Most of the guys and gals there know what you are talking about in the first place and generally know what it is worth. Think really really hard about a trailer to pull your stuff along. Besides, most of us got electricity last year and it could be useful. :)

Bob Aquino
02-08-2005, 9:08 AM
I would suggest advertising it here in the classified or over on other boards like woodnet or knots. You will generally have a good assortment of folks who are looking to get into woodworking or expanding their tool collections. I have sold a couple of tools this way, an old sears ras to a guy in the northern dc area and my old delta wood/metal bandsaw to a guy up by Richmond. I would not even think of trying to sell it in a yard sale, my experience with those is that people think you should be selling it for pennies on the dollar. Newspapers are ok as it word of mouth. But I would try the message boards here first since they are free and target the right audience.

Jim Becker
02-08-2005, 9:12 AM
I've had great success with the free classifieds here at SMC as well as at another forum site over the years. Only after that fails would I move on to a local classified and/or EBAY...things that cost money with no guarantee of success.

Pete Harbin
02-08-2005, 9:38 AM
Our Church has purchased a new piece of land and is committed to paying it off completely before incurring the cost of building, so many of my older tools went to the fund raising flea market. I sold all of my old stuff there and picked up a pretty nice sunburn :eek: