PDA

View Full Version : Display Pedestal

Glenn Hodges
02-07-2005, 10:27 AM
When displaying bowls on a table at an exhibit I have been told they need to be at varring heights so I made this display pedestal. It is made from spalted mimosa. It is 11 inches high, and 5 inches wide. I am showing it with a persimmon bowl on it which is 8 inches wide and 2 1/2 inches high. Do you all think it will look OK for displaying bowls?

Gary Max
02-07-2005, 10:31 AM
Never work Glenn----they are going to want to buy the stand.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-07-2005, 10:42 AM
Glenn,

As Gary said, I think you have a new market there! People will want to buy the stands as well as the bowls. Looks great.

David Fried
02-07-2005, 12:20 PM
Please understand that I certainly couldn't make the bowl and probably couldn't make the stand but like everyone else I do have an opinion.

The stand is very nice but that might be the rub, too nice, IMHO.

I would think you want folks looking at the bowls and not distracted by anything else. The stand should display the bowl, elevate it, perhaps angle it toward the viewer, etc. but not draw attention away from it. I have seen stands painted to match the table/background in an attempt to make them disappear. Usually they seem to be a lighter color with a simple line so your eye is drawn to the piece.

On the other hand, if all the stands are similar then it might just be a brief distraction that emphasizes your artistry - a net plus.

Unless you're going to sell stands too. Hmmmm, a unique stand made for displaying a particular piece. Maybe you're onto something.

Jim Ketron
02-07-2005, 5:42 PM
I like the Idea! I think its a Great job on it and if they want the stand! SELL it you can always make more;) I would make some of the same wood as the bowls and Kill 2 Birds with one stone;) just have a few under the table and when they leave just pull out another one!

Jim

Jim Becker
02-07-2005, 10:33 PM
The stand is great, but I lost the bowl on it when looking at the picture. The others are correct...your display "apparatus" needs to disappear on the table. Make them simple and even consider painting them either flat black or some neutral color that lets your turnings come through.

Now, go turn a nice big bowl to match that stand and sell them as a very expensive set!!! :D