05-21-2011, 8:14 AM
Now, THAT is one seriously clumsy thief. :D

Not to mention monumentally stupid.

Al Wasser
05-21-2011, 9:30 AM
Stumbled over some Marines is more like it

Brian Elfert
05-21-2011, 10:04 AM
It looks like there should have been a paddy wagon hauling off a group of Marines. What the Marines did was just as illegal as the thief stabbing a Marine. I can understand a punch or two to subdue the guy, but it sounds like he got a real beatdown.

Paul Greathouse
05-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Looks like Mr. Jackson screwed up and brought a knife to fist fight. If it had been a police officer that Mr. Jackson had attacked, Mr. Jackson could very well be deceased right now. Its perfectly legal for police to use deadly force when confronted with a weapon. I think Mr. Jackson was lucky he didn't run into a group of police officers collecting Toys for Tots.

Bonnie Campbell
05-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Lets see.... armed robbery, attempted murder.... no, I'd say the marines did a good job on the criminal.

Phil Thien
05-21-2011, 11:19 AM
Story isn't entirely true: http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/stabbedmarine.asp

I can honestly say I have never known a single marine that would do anything like that. Sure, they'd pop his face inside out a few times, but they aren't going to start breaking bones (well, maybe his nose).

Bill Huber
05-21-2011, 11:22 AM
I think the Marines did great.

Lets say the Marines were not there, but the man was caught. He would have gone to jail for a day or 2, then to court where he would have been given a slap on the hand and told not to do it again. He may have even sued Best Buy for invading his privacy for using a surveillance camera, which I am sure he would have won and got a million for.

I just think it is about time were held people accountable for their actions and in this case I think he was.

Scott Shepherd
05-21-2011, 1:03 PM
It looks like there should have been a paddy wagon hauling off a group of Marines. What the Marines did was just as illegal as the thief stabbing a Marine. I can understand a punch or two to subdue the guy, but it sounds like he got a real beatdown.

Before you convict any Marines in your own mind, read the real story, where NO MARINES did ANY harm to the guy. The original Marine clotheslined the guy, the guy took out a knife and swung it at the Marine, who was cut, then the guy was taken into custody.

There was no beat down by anyone.

Charlie Reals
05-21-2011, 1:46 PM
Thank you Phil and Scott. To believe the story and hoot and holler about how great it is the Marines did this is actually an insult to any good Marine. I don't buy into the hype associated with Marines, I feel any person who serves our country is a GI and is equal in the eyes of God if KIA.
Butt, even a Jarhead (said with Love and respect) deserves more respect.

dave toney
05-21-2011, 2:45 PM
Thank you Phil and Scott. To believe the story and hoot and holler about how great it is the Marines did this is actually an insult to any good Marine. I don't buy into the hype associated with Marines, I feel any person who serves our country is a GI and is equal in the eyes of God if KIA.
Butt, even a Jarhead (said with Love and respect) deserves more respect.

Ditto here.
The marines are tough as leather, but they are not savages.
I respect them MORE for turning the suspect over to the police intact, that shows respect for due process, a basic premise of rule by law.
God bless 'em.
Dave

David Larsen
05-22-2011, 9:44 AM
Either way it is +1 for the good guys!

I did not view the story as disrespectful of the Marines. Quite the contrary.

Mike Henderson
05-22-2011, 10:03 AM
Ditto here.
The marines are tough as leather, but they are not savages.
I respect them MORE for turning the suspect over to the police intact, that shows respect for due process, a basic premise of rule by law.
God bless 'em.
Dave
Yep, under the law, you're only allowed to use "necessary" force. If the story was true, and they had killed the guy (not intending to), they'd be in a lot of trouble.

Mike

Jason Roehl
05-22-2011, 1:27 PM
Whatever version of the story is true, the reality is that someone who pulls a knife on you is not offering you a free shave. Pulling a knife is deadly intent, and all levels of force are on the table until the threat is gone--which may include deadly force. If you convince yourself of anything less, you put yourself and those around you at high risk should such a threat ever present itself.

Mike Henderson
05-22-2011, 7:29 PM
Whatever version of the story is true, the reality is that someone who pulls a knife on you is not offering you a free shave. Pulling a knife is deadly intent, and all levels of force are on the table until the threat is gone--which may include deadly force. If you convince yourself of anything less, you put yourself and those around you at high risk should such a threat ever present itself.
You're absolutely correct. However, it would be impossible to cause the amount of injury described by simply disarming the guy. From the description you're suppose to assume that they beat the guy after he was disarmed.

But if he's holding a knife and assaulting you - meaning that you can't run away - you have the right to use any amount of force, including deadly force. A police officer could use deadly force instead of withdrawing because he/she is tasked with taking the guy into custody. You do not have that requirement and the law would require you to withdraw if you were able (unless there was an imminent threat to someone else).

Meaning - if you want to be a cop, join the police force.

Mike