PDA

View Full Version : New Addition

Paul Canaris
05-21-2011, 5:31 AM
Well, my compressor finally arrived after waiting for four weeks for it to be built. I can finally get rid of the ear splitting/buzzing CH I've used for the past six years. :D
As I had to wait I took advantage of that time to run iron pipe in my workshop and my spray finishing area (a separate building). Running black pipe was a real steep learning curve. I ended up renting a Rigid pipe threader which came with no manual or orientation by the rental company and was not even configured properly. So after asking numerous questions on plumbing forums and a bit of trial and error I finally got it set up correctly, learned some trades tricks and got some pretty good results.
The compressor I got is made by Eaton and weights 800 lbs, it took myself, grown up son and daughter a while to get into the shop using steel pipes as rollers under the pallet. The model I purchased is a 7.5 hp 26 scfm 80 gallon model. After seeing mine close up I am really happy with the build quality. I did a lot of research when deciding what to buy and it came down to a good company reputation and reasonably priced units. What I liked about Eaton is the features which I could only find on industrial units costing way too much; such as cast iron pistons, un-loaders, inter-stage coolers, roller bearings, continuous run, oversized motors, low RPM compressor speed and automatic drain. The units are a mix of American, Brazilian, and Chinese components assembled in their factory in Ohio,
Anyways I can't wait to try this out over the weekend spraying my latest pieces.:)

Bill Davis
05-21-2011, 6:57 AM
Nice compressor and nice plumbing!

Paul Canaris
05-21-2011, 8:51 AM
Thanks Bill.

If anyone out there needs any coaching in the future on running black pipe, threading pipe, and proper piping layouts to eliminate moisture feel free to drop me a PM. I'd like to see it be easer and less stressful for the next guy who attempts this if I can in any way lend a hand.

Mike Heidrick
05-21-2011, 9:18 AM
Paul can you draw up your cooler layout and tell us more about why you can the pipe the way you did in picture three. I like the WEG starter and switches on that compressor - very nice.

Bill Huber
05-21-2011, 9:58 AM
WOW that thing is really big, 3 cylinders should give you all the air you would ever need.

In fact I think maybe we could just run a line up I35 and I could it in my shop.

I am the son of a plumber so I know how fun cutting all the pipe and threading it is.

Paul Canaris
05-21-2011, 10:00 AM
I'm a Neanderthal when it comes to CAD, so I can't really do it well. But as none of what I did was original I can provide the sources of the basic concepts. Attached is a link to a piping process which ensures very dry air which is an absolute requirement for media blasting processes. http://www.tptools.com/StaticText/airline-piping-diagram.pdf
As such it a good approach for Spray Finishing as well as around the shop uses such as blowing out machinery where the introduction of moisture is not a positive thing.

With piping more is essentially better as it allows for increased condensation. In the third picture you see one of the up/down diversions that lessens the amount of moisture that will be introduced at a take off point. At the bottom of each of these branches is a dead-leg where water can get trapped and with a ball valve be manually purged periodically. At as many of these points as you can it is good to use a water/oil separator (4th picture) as well. This approach is good for equipment and general shop usage needs.
In the 7th picture is the drop for my finishing area which has a additional water/oil separator followed by a coalescing filter for the lowest moisture level possible. Just prior to this is a series of dead legs in parallel to assist in removing moisture prior to the final filtration stage.
All of this coupled with an automatic drain on the compressor should significantly extend the life of the compressor vessel and the black pipe; and also allowing for spraying even on rainy days.

Jeremy Brant
05-23-2011, 10:46 AM
I have an Eaton as well. Mine is the 5hp 2 stage 60 gallon, about 19 cfm if I remember right. A friend of mine bought the same one as you have, and neither of us has had the first problem. I think you're going to really enjoy that setup. I don't use mine as hard as my friend does, but neither of us have been wanting for air for any reason. He uses a relatively small blasting cabinet with his and that's the only time he even cycles his fast enough that it warrants using the continuous run feature. I'm considering getting a pneumatic sander and that will probably call for the continuous run, but even spraying a decent amount doesn't cycle it much. I plumbed my garage in copper because I was more comfortable with that than threading black iron. The only time you're likely to see any water with that setup is when you're blasting, and a moisture separator right before you go into your blast cabinet should pick that up.

Lee Ludden
05-23-2011, 10:56 AM
I have had one of Eaton's small portable compressor's for several years. When I have the space for a full size unit, their name is at the top of my list.

Jefferey Scott
05-23-2011, 11:46 AM
Sweet looking compressor and piping job!

Jeff

Paul Canaris
05-23-2011, 1:09 PM
Thanks for all of the comments and observations. It's nice when things work out well.