PDA

View Full Version : Looking for opinions on a good 2-sided engravable plastic

Bruce Clumpner
05-20-2011, 8:05 PM
I've got the opportunity to bid engraving 7000 event bag tags, so was I looking to use Rowmark Lasermax. But the client threw in a curve-ball and also wanted to price 2-sided engraving. I've never run 2-sided plastic before so I'm looking for advise.

I see that the only 3-ply rowmark product is 1/8" and I'd like to keep it to 1/16th or 3/32" if possible. IPI shows their Laserables product available as a 3-ply in 1/16.

Has anyone used either of these 3-ply sheets for 2-sided engraving, and what's your opinion? Any special techniques you can pass on?

Just FYI, I guess I could silk-screen the 2nd side as a last resort.

Thanks.

Ross Moshinsky
05-20-2011, 8:21 PM
I think you should look into screen printing. We wouldn't do this kind of job in house. We'd ship it out to an ASI vendor. The cost per piece would probably be $.30-.50 I'd imagine the 3 ply plastic alone would be that much.

Example: http://www.motivators.com/Promotional-Custom-MoldedRectangularLuggageTag-4799.html#rating

Bruce Clumpner
05-20-2011, 8:42 PM
This is going to be one of those jobs that I'll do for the love of it, should just pay for some of my time... The client could go direct to have something silk-screened, they have the resources, but they liked the appearance of the engraved piece.

Richard Rumancik
05-20-2011, 9:40 PM
Bruce - I don't know the budget on this (sounds like you are doing it as a bit of a favor) or how many sheets you will be needing. But I know that Rowmark will entertain specials. Might be worth an email to see if there is anything they can do for you (such as painting 2 sides).

Joe Pelonio
05-21-2011, 12:09 AM
Spray the back size with Krylon Fusion as close as you can get to the right color, then a coat of
the matte clear. No one will be able to tell it from 2-sided. Have done it many times with black, red and yellow (white core).

Mike Null
05-21-2011, 6:28 AM
Screen printing will be so much cheaper than lasering that even a break even for you will not be competitive.

I've bid these jobs and never came close.

Bruce Clumpner
05-21-2011, 3:56 PM
Yea, I know the Silk-Screen price point is going to beat lasering every time, but they do want something unique and long lasting for this event. I'm hoping the IPI material works, if not I'll try working with Johnson Plastics or Rowmark to see that the material costs work out for a custom run.

I'm still looking for anyone who's worked with the IPI material.

-bruce