PDA

View Full Version : flame box elder gloat

jwjerry w kowalski
05-20-2011, 5:27 PM
195280195281195277Last fall my brother in law called to tell me a lady from his church had a huge box elder tree come down in her driveway that she wanted removed and who ever took it out was welcome to the wood. Since he has an outdoor stove and always scrounging for wood, he started cutting up the tree with the intention of burning it, until he saw the intense red in the wood. He gave me a call and said if I helped him with the tree I could have all the wood I wanted for turning. I filled my pickup truck and have more than I can use, i'm hoping it won't crack aftrer anchor sealing it, I'm turning a couple of pieces a week just to keep the wood from going to waste. Here are some pieces i rought turned last fall and finished turned in the last 3 or 4 weeks, the thing is my neighbor had me cut down an apple tree that was spalted, so I have that to turn also, and a friend of mine had some cherry burls that he gave me, so man with all this great wood it's hard to just turn the box elder. Yeah, it's a rough life, but somebody's got to do it. The small vase is the most intense flame I've ever seen, gonna hang on to that one.

Jeff Nicol
05-20-2011, 5:41 PM
Looks like a bunch of dandy box elder! I love turning it also and should be getting a couple of trees from my Dad one of these days when I get a minute to go pick them up.

Have fun,

Jeff

Michael James
05-20-2011, 6:52 PM
Dang, I have box elder envy.... bad! Nice haul and nice pieces! That is beautiful wood.
mj

David E Keller
05-20-2011, 6:56 PM
GREat looking stuff! Congrats on a great haul.

Don Alexander
05-20-2011, 7:23 PM
quick call the fire dept ............... only time i have seen that much flame something was burning :D

awesome wood and nice turnings too

Mark Hazelden
05-20-2011, 9:30 PM
You're having fun! Nice work.

So glad it didn't get burned.

Jim Burr
05-20-2011, 9:53 PM
Your brother is my hero Jerry and you are a lucky man!! Good looking stuff!

Steve Schlumpf
05-20-2011, 9:58 PM
Beautiful wood - great looking turnings! Have been starting to hear of folks using some type of finish that has UV protection and it supposedly helps keep the red from fading into a brown coloring. Sure is some intense red in your forms! Nice work - real nice! Thanks for sharing!

John Keeton
05-21-2011, 6:29 AM
WOW!! Great looking wood, and some very nice turnings. I really like what you did with the pedestal HF pieces.

Jeff Fagen
05-21-2011, 7:59 AM
You shouldn't have trouble with the box elder if ancor sealed but the apple and cherry sure are touchy.

Donny Lawson
05-21-2011, 4:54 PM
Nice wood. After you cut it up and seal it store it inside out of the sunlight and you should be OK. I have some I cut a few months ago and just put it on a shelf in the shop without sealer and it is still bright red and with no checking yet. Remove the pith and you will have wood for a long time.

allen thunem
05-21-2011, 6:06 PM
you any place close to denver?:)

charlie knighton
05-21-2011, 9:35 PM
very nice, jwjerry, great job on the turnings, seems to me the redder they are, the punkier they are