PDA

View Full Version : Fencepost Lamp

Bob Rotche
05-20-2011, 5:27 PM
I know a guy who runs a logging operation (retiring this year, unfortunately!) who has given me quite a few nice pieces of wood this past year. He came across an old chestnut fence (very prevalent wood around here before the blight) and asked if I wanted some. Having a raging wood addiction, I said "Sure, I'm sure I'll figure out something to do with it" He suggested that the material would make a nice lamp so I promised him I'd make him one as a thank you (not to mention the 2 huge oak burls he says he's had sitting around for a few years that are mine for the taking...) Anyway, here it is. C+C appreciated as always.

Richard Jones
05-20-2011, 5:47 PM
Bob,

I love those! The only thing I would do would be to jack up the shade a bit so that the top of the vase can be seen.

I do a lot of fencepost stuff, mostly cedar around here. We sell quite a few of the pieces at the store, maybe 100 or so a year, so it's a good business for us.

The first fencepost vase I ever saw was a gift from a friend, and it was chestnut.

He should be well pleased with your lamp, and it's got a good story behind it, always a good thing.

Thanks for sharing.

Rich

Tim Thiebaut
05-20-2011, 6:27 PM
Very nicely done! I love rustic/natural pieces like this, and I dont know if its staying there, but it looks great with the rock wall behind it to.

Gary Max
05-20-2011, 7:08 PM
That is very nice , plus you will make a friend out of the deal. Hard to beat a deal where you get wood and a friend.

Jim Burr
05-20-2011, 8:38 PM
Great job Bob! It looks about 18" tall...about?? Classic lamp shape and a cool gesture too!

Steve Schlumpf
05-20-2011, 11:23 PM
Nice work on the lamp! I like how you kept a lot of the original character of the wood! Your friend is going to love it!

John Keeton
05-21-2011, 6:27 AM
Bob, some excellent lines in this lamp!! Really a classic form and well suited to the chestnut. Great work!