PDA

View Full Version : Dining Table

Dennis McDonaugh
02-07-2005, 9:39 AM
I need to make a dining table with two leaves (leafs) and have a few questions. First, how do you go about it? Do you make the table in two halves and join the halves with a mechanical extension slide? Are the commercial extensions rigid enough to support the table? Or, is the base one piece and only the table top moves?

Thanks,

Jeff Sudmeier
02-07-2005, 10:36 AM
Dennis,

All of the tables that I have seen have the table in two basic peices, with mechanical slides between them. I belive that rockler sells the wooden slides.

Jeff

Scott Parks
02-07-2005, 1:33 PM
Here are some pics of my shop-built Dining table. There are two leaves (only one is installed right now.) The table closes up to 4' diameter, and has (2) 12" leaves to pull out to 6' This table is very stable pulled out all the way, and it seats 6 adults. The slides are mounted to the table top. I have a peice of 1-1/4" MDF square screwed to the slides. The MDF is then Lag-Screwed to the pedestal base. The base does not move, only the top slides when pulled apart.

I bought the geared slides via mailorder, but I dont remember where (it wasn't Rockler). They were about $35 4 years ago, and holding up very well.

Dave Carey
02-07-2005, 3:03 PM
Dennis - I caught a New Yankee Workshop rerun last Saturday and good ole Norm was building a two pedestal, two leaf table that used tongue in groove slides for support. Would depend on how big a table you need. Scott's looks a lot more practical.

Carl Eyman
02-07-2005, 3:13 PM
Two halves can split or the legs can stay fixed. In the 66" (closed) or 110" open one I built the two halves open up. ( see www.eyman.org/table ) The slides are Rockler's triple wooden slides that open up over 48". Rock solid - no sag. This is the second time I have used them. They are fastened to the table top. oversize screw holes allow expansion and contraction. Good Luck.