PDA

View Full Version : Glaser Screw Chuck… It's Baaaaaaak!!!

David DeCristoforo
05-20-2011, 5:13 PM
Every now and then a tool achieves an almost legendary status. Among turners, the Glaser screw chuck is one of those tools. Introduced in the early 1980's the Glaser chuck quickly became the "go to" screw center holding system. The heart of this chuck was the unique thread that would maintain a tenacious grip on a piece of wood, even in end grain. The chuck disappeared for a time and then remerged in an updated form, disappeared again and has now resurfaced once more in an even better form.

I have one of the original chucks and it is in almost constant use. But I am forever swapping pieces on and off of it. So when the new version became available again, I could not resist the temptation to get another one. It's hard to imagine improving on the original chuck but the updated version does just that. The screw itself is still machined steel and still has the same unique thread that raised it above it's competition. The "old" version of the chuck had a steel body whereas the new one is anodized aluminum. That in itself is not an "improvement" and in fact, I prefer the heft of the steel body. What is an improvement is the incorporation of a removable and reversible collar that threads onto the top of the chuck. This collar serves as a backing plate to provide additional support for larger diameter pieces. Here's some comparison shots of both:

Glaser also is offering a larger backing plate as an accessory. I don't know what the "maximum" size piece this chuck could safely hold is but it is amazing how well it does hold and a small bowl would not be out of the question. As an experiment, I chucked up a 4" piece of "scrap" wood and turned a "bowl" shape out of it. Then I hollowed it out, being none too gentle but the screw held fast even in the end grain. The pic below is "start to finish":

The screw requires only a 1/4" hole, 3/4" deep to hold the stock. You do have to remember that that steel screw is there and not cut too close to it. You also have to leave a bit more material at the bottom if you need to part off the workpiece.

Richard Kennedy UK
05-20-2011, 5:25 PM
Looks good. Do you know if can I get one in the UK with a T38 thread?

Dennis Simmons
05-20-2011, 5:35 PM
So I Google "Glaser screw chuck", no results. I wanted to know if you will give us a hint, where to find one? In the first picture, I see you started a new project with a dirty lathe!!
Dennis

David DeCristoforo
05-20-2011, 5:41 PM
"So I Google "Glaser screw chuck", no results..."

Try this:

http://www.glaserhitec.com/shop/glaser-screw-chuck/

"...I see you started a new project with a dirty lathe..."

No... that's a clean lathe. Besides, it's not a real "project", just a little test...

"...can I get one in the UK with a T38 thread?"

Hit the link above. At the bottom of the page you will see "International Orders - Email us". You can have it tapped to any size you need.

Al Wasser
05-20-2011, 6:03 PM
+1 on what David said about a great tool. I've had one for at least 3 years and it is in constant use. I've never had anything come loose from it - large or small

Tim Thiebaut
05-20-2011, 6:19 PM
Great review David, thank you for posting this, I like reading reviews on cool things like this...may have to check into this down the road a ways.

Bob Bergstrom
05-20-2011, 10:03 PM
I have one I purchased in the nineties and it is made from aluminum. Works fine but it does lack the heft of a steel chuck.

Wally Dickerman
05-21-2011, 11:16 AM
I have 3 Glaser screwchucks. One is the old model and Jerry made a left hand thread screw for it. The chuck is threaded to fit my Nichols left hand bowl lathe (which I no longer have). The spindle thread is 1 1/4 x 7 LH. Since I don't have a lathe for it any more it sits and gathers dust. My other 2 chucks are threaded for my 33 mm Oneway.

I agree that the screw threads are much better than anything else on the market.