PDA

View Full Version : I HAte Mondays!

Douglas Robinson
02-07-2005, 8:45 AM
So I woke up and came downstairs this AM. MY two kids are watching their 1 hr. of TV for the day, and my wife is somewhere in the Kitchen. I could hear her, but could see her. As I entered the kitchen I see her crouching under the sink.

"What's up?" I say.
"Water leaked from the sink last night, but it stopped now." she said.
I go out and get the paper and as I come back intot he house she is coming up from the basement. Now I start to worry.

"Did the water get downstairs?"
"Yes." she says.
"Did my tools get wet?" I ask in an increasing state of agitation.
"Yes." she says
"Which ones?" I ask.
"A big one." she answers.
I rush to the basement to find my table saw top a dullish brown. AAAAGGGHHHH!!! Her solution was to cover it with a towel and call a plumber. I moved the saw (Thank god for mobile bases). Scotch brite the surface and use some rust remover. It wasn't a great job, but I will finish cleaning it up tonight.

Leasons:
1. Protect your tools. Thankfully, I had previously treated the saw surface with protectant.
2. This is a downside to basement shops. Locate your tools aeay from the plumbing overhaed.
3. Don't let your untrained wife evaluate the damamge. ;)

Jim Becker
02-07-2005, 8:50 AM
3. Don't let your untrained wife evaluate the damamge.
Knowledge is power. Make sure she knows as much as you do about these things...:cool:

Jeff Sudmeier
02-07-2005, 10:34 AM
Sorry to hear about the problems... hopefully everything will get fixed, as good as new! The wife may need a reminder to let you know if any of your tools gets any makrs ont hem :)

Douglas Robinson
02-07-2005, 10:38 AM
Luckily the damage appears to be easily repairable. But this has gotten me thinking. I should take photographs of all of my equipment for insurance purposes in the event of a complete disaster (fire, flood, theft, etc.) so that I can document my loss. I know people do that for the jewelry and electronics, but I have NOT done it for my woodoworking equipment.

Jerry Olexa
02-07-2005, 10:43 AM
The LOML's of our lives don't usually understand the nuances of a shop and tools,etc. But we don't know how to make appetizers for a party or cook a truffle etc. We complement each other. Same thing happened to me w my TS and the cast iron top looked UGH! Good "training" opportunity for me with LOML. In the big picture, its only a "bump in the road". :D