PDA

View Full Version : Thank You Face Shield

Dick Wilson
05-20-2011, 10:37 AM
Unbelievable!!! All the conversation on all wood turning forums about safety, face shields, and Joan's accident, etc. I have been turning bottle stoppers for our guild festival sale. Some of them are spaulted Maple and fairly punky. As you may have read my posts before saying that I don't even turn the lathe on without my face shield on and down!!! Well, I had sanded the stopper and cranked the lathe up to 880 rpm to apply the high speed friction polish. Wham!!!! The punky stopper came off the dowel and hit me right between the eyes. http://woodturnersamerica.com/phpBB3/images/smilies/icon_eek.gif http://woodturnersamerica.com/phpBB3/images/smilies/icon_eek.gif http://woodturnersamerica.com/phpBB3/images/smilies/icon_eek.gif It didn't crack the face shield and didn't hurt..........but........what if I had not had the face shield on http://woodturnersamerica.com/phpBB3/images/smilies/icon_question.gif

Roger Chandler
05-20-2011, 10:46 AM
Good for you on the safety equipment Dick..............over the last 3 years I have had a few minor incidents like you have stated, and one big one..........smart people take the little clues and think about them........adjust their routines in the interest of safety. I was a meat cutter for nearly 20 years, and I saw so many of my fellow cutters off to the hospital with their body parts either in a bag or bleeding.............never to be quite the same.

I have a healthy respect for our craft.........not fear, but try to use common sense and learn from the mistakes and wrong attitudes that I have seen in others, that cost them dearly......................someone on this forum has a signature line that says some thing to the effect that a wise man learns from his mistakes, but an even wiser one learns from the mistakes of others..............I say be a smart and wise as you can.

Glad you were not hurt and had on your shield!

Steve Schlumpf
05-20-2011, 10:48 AM
Dick - happy to hear that you were not injured! Bet that sure woke you up!

John Hart
05-20-2011, 11:13 AM
....It didn't crack the face shield and didn't hurt..........but........what if I had not had the face shield on http://woodturnersamerica.com/phpBB3/images/smilies/icon_question.gif

Well....in that case...It may have altered your personality!! Maybe you'd start advocating nude lacquering!! ;)

Hmmmm...wait a minute :rolleyes:

Tim Thiebaut
05-20-2011, 11:33 AM
Glad your Ok Dick, I think most of us have had a wake up call of some kind somewhere down the line. As for John's idea of nude lacquering....I think we ought to table this idea for now...unless there are volunteers of course...

Dick Wilson
05-20-2011, 11:49 AM
Glad your Ok Dick, I think most of us have had a wake up call of some kind somewhere down the line. As for John's idea of nude lacquering....I think we ought to table this idea for now...unless there are volunteers of course...

As to John's idea.....that is a disgusting thought and sight.......even for me

John Hart
05-20-2011, 11:54 AM
Ok...I didn't mean to cause bad visions.... But seriously...It's like last night when I was testing out a new shield, and smacked myself in the face. I shook it off and went on with my work, but it was so weird to stand there and say, "geez...that would have hurt"

Dan Forman
05-20-2011, 12:36 PM
Glad you didn't get whacked!

Dan

Rob Cunningham
05-20-2011, 1:02 PM
Dick, glad you weren't hurt. I'm sure that got the adrenaline pumping though.
As for John's suggestion on nude laquering, no pictures please:eek:

phil harold
05-20-2011, 1:33 PM
safety first!

FYI:

lacquering in the buff, has happened more times than you think...

hairspray used to be made out of lacquer

John Beaver
05-20-2011, 1:50 PM
Gives me chills just to think about nude body parts next to sharp tools and a spinning machine.

Keith E Byrd
05-20-2011, 1:57 PM
Good move Dick - glad that shield was down - keep it on!

bob svoboda
05-20-2011, 4:24 PM
Glad you weren't hurt. Hmmm if you lacquered in the nude, would you then be safe to fry bacon?

Jeff Nicol
05-20-2011, 5:19 PM
Glad it was a little item and it bounced of harmlessly, the last thing I had fly off the lathe was a chunk of bark about the size of serving platter. It seemed pretty stuck to the log, but as soon as I cut some of it away it caught some air and came flying off smacked me right in the face mask and turned it sideways and almost off my bean! So the bigger the hunk the more chance of still getting whacked, but the eyes should be safe and that is the main purpose of the sheilds anyway. Just like a hard hat, if a 8' long 2x4 comes from 10 stories up and hits you straight on the top of the head, I am pretty sure you are in some deep trouble. So with all that being said no matter how many safty items you employ during any dangerous operation, using safe methods, checking and re-checking chucks, faceplates and screws, tailstock in place even if you think you don't need it, do it anyway and other proceedures that will do everything but garauntee your safety. We all become a bit complaceant when we think we have done everything right, and making sure time and again during the process will continue to reassure you that it is still as safe as you can make it.

Not to berate anyone or make anyone feel bad about how they work, but like the saying goes "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". Or like the boy scouts say "Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it". Safety can never be stressed or addressed enough, and it is like having a weekly safety meeting while working on a construction site or manufacturing plant, they keep the thought of being safe fresh in your mind.

Enough rambling from me, so it is the weekend and many will be in the shops turning so have fun and "SAFETY FIRST"

Do we get to pick the helpers for the "Nude Lacquer application"?

Jeff

Harry Robinette
05-20-2011, 8:05 PM
Dick
I'm glad you had it on. Safety is some thing we all need to become more vigilant at and we know it but just don't do it. My Uvex is now hanging on the tool rest so it's move it or use it. The wake up calls are getting to close together we all need to stop and think which way to go.

Bill Wyko
05-20-2011, 8:11 PM
I can't say it enough, throw away the safety glasses, they are only for sweeping the floor. A shield is the only way to go. I'm a rather handsom guy (LMAO), I don't want something ripping my face off. Be it a table saw, drill press, lathe or any other power tool with fast moving parts, glasses are not enough. We all are saddened by the latest tragety, we need to keep this in the back of our minds every time your finger is on the power switch. I'm glad to hear a story that proves my point. Glad you weren't hurt. Another thing to keep in mind, how many times has something grabbed, flew or did something that would have injured you had you not been using a safety device. So many times we don't even give it a second thought and went right back to the work at hand never even considering what could have happened otherwise. Be safe my friends.:D

Doug Palmer
05-20-2011, 11:06 PM
I have just recently started turning with no incidences. I am going to purchase a face shield this weekend before I wish I had. If it happens to the experienced guy, I gotta figure the rookies like me are more susceptable.

Thanks for the thread Dick.

Rick Markham
05-20-2011, 11:13 PM
Glad you weren't hurt. Hmmm if you lacquered in the nude, would you then be safe to fry bacon?

Glad your ok Dick, I wear mine all the time too. I've hit my head on enough stuff already...

As to the nude laquering/bacon cooking question... I think it depends on how liberally you apply the lacquer as to whether it is safe to cook bacon afterwards :D