PDA

View Full Version : Cut sheet nesting optimizer

Adrian Hill
05-20-2011, 5:20 AM
I am looking for a nesting optimizer. I need to cut lots of little things as efficiently as possible. Does anybody know of a cheap nesting optimizer that works well?

Dan Hintz
05-20-2011, 7:34 AM
Inexpensive and good are at opposing ends of the spectrum for nesting optimizers. There are a few out there in the $50 to couple hundred $s range, but you will likely do better optimizing it yourself. High-quality optimizers are industry- and task-specific, and they are usually in the many tens of $k range.

This topic has been discussed on several occasions before, and a search should turn up a link or two to possibly useful programs... but don't get your hopes up too high.

Mike Null
05-20-2011, 9:23 AM
Actually you can get good nesting programs as a part of many vinyl sign programs. Instead of thousands you'll pay hundreds or perhaps a couple thousand depending on the software. You may get lucky and find a plug in for Corel that'll work.

Michael Kowalczyk
05-20-2011, 12:41 PM
If you are using Corel Draw you can go to macromonster(dot)com and there are several nesting macros and much more.
Here is a simple/inexpensive one http://macromonster.com/index.php?mod=descr&id_desc=124&keyword=nesting&Submit=Go

Larry Bratton
05-20-2011, 12:55 PM
If you are using Corel Draw you can go to macromonster(dot)com and there are several nesting macros and much more.
Here is a simple/inexpensive one http://macromonster.com/index.php?mod=descr&id_desc=124&keyword=nesting&Submit=Go

I would say that inexpensive is right..gosh for $14.95 how could you go wrong. I own a good nesting program with Enroute Pro which is a CNC tool pathing program but that thing costs a couple of thousand dollars or maybe even more now. Macromonster is the developer of the rhinestone template software that is being discussed in another thread and it is a first class product for a small amount of money. Hopefully this would be also.

Dan Hintz
05-20-2011, 1:44 PM
Michael,

Any idea on quality of nesting?

Michael Kowalczyk
05-20-2011, 7:40 PM
Most simple nesting programs will do standard nesting instead of true shape nesting. Standard nesting usually uses the furthest boundries of the shape so they do not over lap but also leaves gaps. True shape does just like it is named. It takes the true shape of the object and with a filter you can allow and control rotation, placing smaller item in larger ones with open space and many other options. You see what I have below, in sig line, so nesting is not an issue for me but for simple to medium stuff, there is a macro that can get it done for you for under 200.00 and some under 20.00. It is also very convenient to have it in Corel Draw so you don't have to export then import and hope your lines don't change colors, width, or become segmented or poly-lines.

Do a search for "nesting" on macromonster(dot)com and click on the ones that might be of interest and watch the demo movies. many show you how it will nest objects and there are ones that will nest letters very nice also.

Ecut is actually pretty cool for under 70.00 . Ask them questions if you need to before you buy because there are NO REFUNDS.

I bought 4 or 5 of the macros and they do what they say they will. My favorite one is being able to slice/chop an object horiz or vert or by 2 points really fast. it's called the GDG chopper and for under 10 bucks USD it has paid for itself many times over already in time savings. Just checked and I do have the GDG nest also and it has help me several times also.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I will try to help but macromonster can probably answer technical ones better than me since I did not write them and they did.

Tristan Ranatza
06-11-2011, 11:46 PM
Having worked for a steel processing and having to nest small oddly shaped parts 12" x 12" (sometimes smaller) on 10' x 60' sheets of plate steel for almost nine years gave me time to try out tons of software.

They have 2 that have stood out in my eyes:

MTC's Pronest
Used it for years without a problem. It’s a workhorse. Put DXF's in, tell it the sheet size you want to start with, push button... it spits out nested DXF files. I found it very easy to use.

Sigmanest
This is what I moved to for the last 2 years in the steel industry. Once you know how to use it the program is a beast! The core program will only do gross nesting (it puts the smallest 4 sided polygon around your part) but if you get the AutoNest or TrueShape addins it will do part in part nesting as well as nest based on the "true shape" of the part. After tweaking the setting I ended up getting around 87% average utilization from every piece of steel that came through our shop. This ended up saving us thousands of dollars per job, and I would venture a guess of almost low to mid six figures a year (250K - 500K!!!)
Note that I had to build a very high end machine to nest out parts, the base line computers were just too slow.

Now even with me saying all this... more than likely none of us will ever have the volume of work to justify these high end programs (the company I worked for would send out 10 to 14 truckloads (60,000 lbs each) each day, I really can't tell you how much they cost but I know that Sigmanest carries a yearly charge (and you can't buy it, only lease) but they are the BEST with customer service, they will actually write program modules for you if they can't get the standard version to meet your needs. I think Sigmanest actually comes with a person, not to keep or anything but when you yell for help they will come running!

I will be checking out the Corel nesting macros when I get home tonight.

Dan Hintz
06-12-2011, 6:12 PM
MTC's Pronest
Sigmanest
Care to mention any that don't cost more than my house? ;)

Michael Kowalczyk
06-12-2011, 6:54 PM
Hey Dan,
Did you ever try "GDG nest" found on macromonster dot com? for 10 bucks and then having the macro built into the CDR toolbar, is pretty hard to beat.

There are so many out there but it would be easier to have the user's needs listed to see which one would cover them most efficiently and cost effective.

I have true shape nesting built into most of my CNC apps but I do not like or want to export from one, CDR and import into another and then export it back to CDR.

My guess would be that anything over $200-300.00 US dollars would be way over most peoples budget when using a laser part time or as a hobby.

Not sure what the cost is to have nesting in the new ARTCAM express but $149.00 USD is for the basic app but hold on a few seconds .................................................. ......
.................................................. .................................................. .............
Well I just checked and to get the base with advanced 2D and nesting is only $648.00 USD total plus S & H.

Sometimes you have to pay a little more for the privilege to work smarter not harder.

Adrian,
Have you tried anything that I have posted yet? I believe almost any of the macros on macromonster would solve your current and some future nesting needs.

Thanks and ...