PDA

View Full Version : Need advise on bandsaws

Anthony Alleyne
05-20-2011, 12:07 AM
Hi there,
I looking to buy a new band-saw and hope I get the best for my money. I improving my shop and I need a 18" band-saw and was looking at the Luguna Italian LT18 Band-saw (http://www.lagunatools.com/bandsaws/bandsaw-lt18) LT 18 Band -Saw or the Powermatic 1791800 PM1800 5HP 230 Volt 18" Band-saw. and some band-saw blades to do some re-sawing about 16"-18" and and other furniture designs. I been reading you thread for about a month and i learn a Lot of new ideas but I really can not afford to pay so much money junk. I need the best I can get and let it pay me back for it self over time. I love tools but i need to have value for my money and in my country once I buy and ship it to my home , there is no turning back so i need to know which band-saw you wood gods think is the best. I know we put a lot of passion behind the work we love to do, can anyone please help me, this is a life investment.

Jim Foster
05-20-2011, 8:12 AM
I'd also look at MiniMax and Agazzoni? Also, I've heard the Grizzly 17", high end model is pretty nice. I have researched bandsaws quite a bit, but have not pulled the trigger yet. So better advice will probably follow via posts from owners.

Rod Sheridan
05-20-2011, 8:23 AM
The Hammer N4400 also is available at a good price............Lots of choices in that size range..............Rod.

Mike Hollingsworth
05-20-2011, 11:18 AM
http://www.minimax-usa.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=1&Itemid=35

I chose the MM because of the superior arm mechanism. Chain drive instead of rack and pinion on all the others. Sawdust doesn't get in the tracks. I rarely have to re-align after moving the guides up or down.

Anthony Alleyne
05-21-2011, 3:04 AM
This is a lot of work, but I start looking into the MM Band-saw and see if I look them, when I done I get back to you guys.

David Kumm
05-21-2011, 2:52 PM
If you are resawing in the 16-18" range you need a strong machine, both motor and arm structure. I think the MM 18 is different from their 16 and 20 and not as heavy. I may be wrong but if resawing wide boards is your purpose you need the 16hd or even better their 20. Very heavily made. I am a cast iron guy so it takes a heavy steel machine to hit my radar screen. It is possible to do what you want with less machine but you are putting a square peg in a round hole and everything needs to be tuned up and the wood has to be agreeable. If I were to go to the dark side and buy steel I would buy the MM or Agazzanni 24 but get the largest you have room for. Dave

Jim Matthews
05-21-2011, 3:54 PM
I gather you're taking delivery outside of North America?

What are the excise duties on new machines?
Do similar taxes apply to repaired machines?

We're embarrassed by choices in the USofA, but I followed the same criteria as you:

Long term reliability.
Build quality. (Ease of use - no time to waste)
Residual value.

I bought a Minimax MM20, which was made by Centauro.

The other end of the spectrum has the Taiwan made machines which are very good, but will not likely hold value. If you can buy, and import one of these cheaply - you may have funds left over for other things.

I would recommend calling the major makers, and see if they have a customer in your area. That way, you could assess the merits of the machine, in person.

(Perhaps you could buy second hand, this way as well.)

It's only NEW until you use it the first time.

Bon Chance,

Jim
Westport, MA
USA

Anthony Alleyne
05-22-2011, 4:09 PM
The MM16: I saw in the video on their site, was very much on point and its re-sawing demo with out the guides, that was cool, but the price for that 16" mm was very high, I have to call them tomorrow and see what is the cost to ship a 20" MM, I did not see a 18" MM model. I almost for got to ask what are the best Band-saw you guys used these days from scroll work to re-sawing Mahogany and Purple-heart wood.

PS. I called a shipping company and the shipping cost is about a $1000 US which is like $ 2000 in my country money and I still have to pay duties when it get here to my country and delivery to my Shop.

Anthony.

Kevin Stricker
05-22-2011, 7:49 PM
The MM16 has a 16" resaw capacity, which is more than many 18" comparable saws and some 20" models. I don't know where you are at, but make sure you check prices with Aganazzi, Laguna, and Felder as well. All make very comparable saws and the shipping cost may be your deciding factor.

Anthony Alleyne
05-23-2011, 12:57 AM
Thanks Kevin.

There is a great JOY in working with wood, but sometimes the work you have to put in before buy a great tool is like a small contract. If I had never read you guys post and join these thread I wood had never know about MM, Aganazzi and Felder Band-Saws, thank to all you guys, you have given me so much info to make a good choice.

jonathan eagle
05-23-2011, 11:04 PM
The problem is that you can get a bummer from any company, the italian machines included. So take it with a grain of salt what you decide.

Jacob Reverb
05-24-2011, 7:08 AM
Have you looked at the Rikon machines?

Anthony Alleyne
05-24-2011, 4:07 PM
The problem is that you can get a bummer from any company, the italian machines included. So take it with a grain of salt what you decide.

Expand on this idea.
Anthony

David Kumm
05-24-2011, 5:38 PM
Anthony, Jonathon can speak for himself but keep in mind that quality control is less than perfect with any company. Some are better than others and in theory the higher end stuff should have less chance for problems but that is not assured. I missed your location but if you can't deal with someone fairly close, be sure to talk to the technical people as well as the sales people before buying. If you have to rely on customer service you need to have a comfort zone with the people who will actually help you with the fix. I always ask for the tech folks. When I bought a big bandsaw I talked to about a million people including those who repaired and restored saws. The more you learn the better your chance of identifying the real deal from the sales BS. I ended up buying used because I felt better about the used dealer who had actually ran and rehabbed the machine. Dave

Anthony Alleyne
05-30-2011, 9:22 PM
Hi SMC members, I looking more at the Laguna LT18 HD 4.5 hp baldor motor, but was thinking if it make sense to up grade to the 6 HP motor one time when I make the purchase.Is the Bandsaw"s 4.5 hp is enough for 12" purple heart or mahogany or hard woods. when re-sawing and do these band-saws come with a good quality blade when you one. As i have to pay so much on shipping I was thinking I should get the motor I could buy and for now and see it as an investment for the future, because once I test it, when I ship to my country there is no turning back.

Thanks Anthony.

Jim Matthews
05-30-2011, 9:37 PM
Consider good quality blades as disposable items.

They determine 90% of the cut quality on any bandsaw.
A dull, poorly made blade will cut poorly on an expensive machine.

A well made, sharp blade will cut well on an inexpensive machine.

I now use far fewer teeth on my saw blades, and let the blade work.

I don't need a large motor, when the teeth are sharp.

I can hear "machine music" when it's all tuned properly. When the "tune" sounds higher, or strained, the blade is dull. I can feel the resistance from the wood to this.

A larger motor may last longer, but at what cost?

Rather than expend funds for a larger motor, why not buy more blades?

jim
westport, ma

jonathan eagle
05-31-2011, 6:08 PM
Expand on this idea.
Anthony
I was stating pretty much what anyone finds reading about the different manufacturers.
Just look at all the issues one reads about with Laguna. Plenty. I have a friend with a Laguna BS, and it is great. I'd order one.
I am expecting the Hammer n4400 BS any day, but I know they have quality issues as well. My shipment was delayed due to some quality issues. Fortuneatley it was caught before they sent it.
I think the hammer is not italian but another european country, don't recall offhand.
Jonathan

guy knight
05-31-2011, 8:28 PM
i have the mm20 and the lt14suv they are both great saws the mm is a beast and as far as power goes i have resawed 19.5" of hardwood on it and there was never a lack of power and on the laguna when i first got it i resawed 12" on it with the stock blade and it cut it like butter a good blade is a must imo the resawking is a great blade and the lenox carbide is a good blade also

David Kumm
05-31-2011, 11:34 PM
Don't forget to look at used. In the $3500 price range the sky is the limit. Even a three phase is no big deal since a bandsaw is a great candidate for a vfd. Frame strength is the big deal and the technological improvements over the years are minimal because the machines aren't very complicated. Dave

Scot Ferraro
06-01-2011, 12:56 AM
Hi Anthony,

I have the Laguna LT18 -- it is an awesome bandsaw -- mine is circa 2001, but I upgraded to the newer 4.5 HP motor a couple of years ago. I do not think that you will need more power -- this motor is awesome and provides plenty of low-end torque to resaw heavy hardwood. I think that the 6 HP would be overkill on this machine unless you were setting it up with a feeder and running boards through it continuously. They put a 6 HP on the bigger 24 inch machines, but the size of the fly-wheels are much larger and heavier and need more power to get going up to speed. Personally I have never wanted for more power than what the 4.5 HP Baldor supplies. The LT18 is a great machine and the ceramic guides are a dream. Do yourself a favor and get the DriftMaster Fence and some Resaw King blades and you will have the ultimate sawing and resawing machine.

Scot

Greg Portland
06-01-2011, 12:08 PM
Hi SMC members, I looking more at the Laguna LT18 HD 4.5 hp baldor motor, but was thinking if it make sense to up grade to the 6 HP motor one time when I make the purchase.Is the Bandsaw"s 4.5 hp is enough for 12" purple heart or mahogany or hard woods. when re-sawing and do these band-saws come with a good quality blade when you one. Anthony, I have a LT18 with a 5HP motor and can tell you that blade quality is far more important than HP for hand-feeding applications. If you are setting up a production system with a power feeder then the 6HP motor -may- be worth considering (but I have my doubts). The motor on my saw keeps the blade spinning without bogging down; However, at a certain point the -blade- can't handle the cutting action and starts to bow or wander (if I try to really shove the wood through). Perhaps if a blade were found that could handle the higher feed rates then the 6HP would be warranted (I use Lenox 3tpi or less). With lower tpi blades I can increase the feedrate but the cut is not as clean. I have resawn veneers off 12" tropical hardwoods without any problems using normal feed rates.

Anthony Alleyne
06-05-2011, 1:44 AM
thanks for the advise.

Anthony

Anthony Alleyne
07-23-2011, 10:17 AM
Thanks to all of you guys for you wise info, I made my choice, I going with the Luguna 18" HD and I am thinking I need to get a drill press but is a big choice in 18" drill press floor model, anyone have any advise on 18" Drill Press and what do you guys think about the (Router Boss) I'm thinking of getting one soon it could save a lot of time on joints, what do you guys think.

Any help would be appreciate

Thanks Anthony.

Scot Ferraro
07-23-2011, 10:27 AM
Congrats on your decision -- I think you made a wise choice on a great saw. Just a suggestion, but I might start a new thread if I were you for the drill press -- this thread is for bandsaw advice and you might get more replies. Lots of options out there on that too...if I were in the market I would consider the Delta with the new table tilt.

Scot