PDA

View Full Version : First Chair Project

Mark Dorman
05-19-2011, 9:23 PM
I always wanted to build a chair. I’m not sure why. Maybe it’s the thought of making something that I can use on a daily basis instead of something that sets in the corner holding stuff. Maybe it’s because a friend can come over and sit and relax. Whatever the draw was this is the end result. A Red Oak chair made 95% Neander. I learned a lot about mortise and tenons and grain direction. I tried removing waste on a few mortises with the drill but went back to the chisels. I just didn’t like the results as well. So here are some pics of my first chair. Now I’m going to go build something that sits in the corner and holds stuff. With no curves just straight and simple.
Mark

john brenton
05-19-2011, 11:01 PM
Dang I want to build a european/continental/klausz style bench. Sweet. How does the chair feel? Anything you'd do differently?

Mark Dorman
05-19-2011, 11:29 PM
It feels good. The back slats flow well and fit my back. The cushion bottoms out a little. Not sure what I need to do next time. Thicker or higher density foam maybe.
Patience in removing the clamps would be one thing I would do differant. I had a joint open a little and didn't notice until the next day.

Jim Koepke
05-20-2011, 2:22 AM
All it needs if five more like it and a table to go around.

Nice work.

I am still exploring the fascination of adirondack style chairs.

jtk

Mark Dorman
05-20-2011, 8:10 AM
Thanks Jim, I've seen Pics of your chair.
It looks easy to get out of compared to most Adirondack chairs.

P.S. Already told the wife one is enough.

Prashun Patel
05-20-2011, 8:41 AM
Mark - Nice job. I appreciate the effort these chairs take.

Nelson Howe
05-20-2011, 9:31 AM
Mark, that's a very nice looking chair. Good work.

Nelson

Bob Glenn
05-20-2011, 10:12 AM
Building a chair offers a special challenge over other furniture. Needs to be strong, needs to look good, but ALSO needs to be comfortable. Nice job.