PDA

View Full Version : Color Me Surprised!!! -- Gloat

Bill Arnold
02-07-2005, 7:18 AM
Some of you may have seen the posts of some items I've been building recently. I was encouraged by some other woodworkers in the area to enter some pieces in the Fine Furniture Exhibition at the Florida State Fair. It's a juried exhibition with about 30 categories. There is a first-time exhibitor division and then all others. I was entered in the first-time class, of course.

The judge was Paul Taylor. He made it clear when he started judging that even if you're the only entry in a category (chest, table, whatever) it doesn't mean you get a ribbon. Entries are judged on their own merit with a point system for workmanship(40), material selection(10), design(20), finish(30) and degree of difficulty(50). Each of these grading areas receives a score of 1-10.

Well, the results of my entries are shown in the photos below. First Prize for each of the three: nightstand, side table and quilt rack. I certainly never expected this to happen. I would have been satisfied with a Third on at least one item -- but I'll take the ribbons (and the little checks that go with them). ;)

While I've always thought my work was improving with each project, it's great to get confirmation from a jury of my peers.

OK -- so maybe this has gone into the category of a 'super gloat'. :D

Kirk (KC) Constable
02-07-2005, 7:25 AM
Congratulations! That's way cool... :)

KC

Rob Littleton
02-07-2005, 7:27 AM
well deserved ribbons....

Those are 3 beautiful pieces.

congrats

Mark Singer
02-07-2005, 7:51 AM
Congradulations! It certainly looks like first place to me!!! Great work Bill!

John Miliunas
02-07-2005, 7:55 AM
That is way cool, Bill! :) Congrats and, I think you've also proven what many of believe: Usually, we are our own toughest critics!:D Very well done, indeed!:cool:

Jeff Sudmeier
02-07-2005, 8:12 AM
Bill, that is a super gloat for sure! Congrats on the three blue ribbons, you deserved them!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-07-2005, 8:27 AM
Congrats Bill! As stated by John M.......we maybe our worst crititcs!

Wes Newman
02-07-2005, 8:28 AM
Way to go Bill!!

Dick Parr
02-07-2005, 8:32 AM
Congradulations Bill, job well done. :)

Marshall Harrison
02-07-2005, 8:36 AM
Way to go Bill!

I don't remember seeing the other two pieces before but I was expecting something good for that quilt rack. I still think it is awesome.

Jim Becker
02-07-2005, 9:00 AM
"Most excellent", Bill! Blue ribbons are a nice way to have your work show its appreciation for you... ;)

Karl Laustrup
02-07-2005, 9:08 AM
[QUOTE=Bill Arnold]

I would have been satisfied with a Third on at least one item -- but I'll take the ribbons (and the little checks that go with them). ;)

Well done Bill. That is some pretty furniture. So what kind of tools can you get now with "those little checks that go with the ribbons"? Should be worth some new tool, right?

Alan Turner
02-07-2005, 9:09 AM
Go Bill!!! Nice to have that sort of award(s).
Alan

Pete Harbin
02-07-2005, 9:30 AM
Way to go Bill! A hat trick of blue ribbons!

Pete

Charlie Plesums
02-07-2005, 9:57 AM
Congratulations - beautiful work
... for all three pieces

Lars Thomas
02-07-2005, 10:16 AM
Congratulations, nicely done. Lars

Byron Trantham
02-07-2005, 10:34 AM
Looks like the judge knew what he was doing!!! Congratulations. :D

Bill Arnold
02-07-2005, 11:40 AM
Thank you to all who have commented so far. As some of you said, we are our worst critics and I always see my work as lacking in one way or another. Today, I feel a little bit better about it. :o

Well done Bill. That is some pretty furniture. So what kind of tools can you get now with "those little checks that go with the ribbons"? Should be worth some new tool, right?
Thanks, Karl. As far as the checks are concerned, the key word 'little' -- not that I don't appreciate them because I certainly do! I will be ordering some new business cards -- that's a 'tool' of sorts, isn't it??? ;)

Keith Christopher
02-07-2005, 11:43 AM
bill,

Congrats all around ! I never doubted for a second !

Keith

Mike Scoggins
02-07-2005, 12:20 PM
Bill,

A well deserved honor for you. See, you did a beautiful job on all 3 pieces and now you know it too! :D Congratulations,

Mike

Alan Turner
02-07-2005, 2:37 PM
So Bill, is this show also a selling venue? If so, please let us know how you did.
Alan

Bill Arnold
02-07-2005, 4:33 PM
So Bill, is this show also a selling venue? If so, please let us know how you did. Alan
Alan,

The 'show' is the Florida State Fair. It's not a selling venue, per se, although you can list an item as being for sale after the Fair is over. One can leave business cards at each item displayed and the item also has the individual's name on it. The Fair officially starts on Thursday, the 10th and runs through the 21st. My nightstand comes home on the 22nd; if someone wants a duplicate we'll discuss a commission. The quilt rack and side table are listed for sale, but cannot leave the exhibit area until after the Fair, on the 22nd.

Regards,

Chris DeHut
02-07-2005, 5:23 PM
Bill,

Your works are certainly deserving the ribbons!

Chris

Bob Nieman
02-07-2005, 8:08 PM
Is it coincidence that I sent links of the quilt rack and nightstand to the LOML? I think not. Beautiful work!
(I didn't see the side table)

Bill Arnold
02-08-2005, 6:16 AM
...for your comments. I'll let you know if I'm fortunate enough to get a sale out of this exhibition. I'm already working on a table design for next year's show so I'm not working right down to the wire trying to finish something! :)

Thomas Prondzinski
02-08-2005, 7:00 AM
Congratulations Bill, you are very deservent of those ribbons. I sure like that quilt rack.

Tom