PDA

View Full Version : Frioles Loco

John Hart
05-19-2011, 8:41 PM
Ok...what used to be the Sharon Conglomerate is now officially renamed. I have David Keller to thank for that! :)

This is a spalted cherry vase body, turned to about 1/8, then cast in tinted resin and Black Beans. (Yes, the ones in the Mexican food section of the grocery store) Several different stages took place to clean up my shoddy work, which introduced many new colors. It was an adventure in trial and error. ;)

Anyway...topped off with a mahogany mouth and base and finished in 5 coats of clear lacquer (hic :o)

It's a little over 11" tall and a little under 5" in diameter

Your critiques, both poopy and non-poopy are welcomed! :)

John Keeton
05-19-2011, 8:45 PM
Well, it certainly looks better than before!!! I like the form of this one, Hart, and I love mahogany. But, I would have to be honest in saying the beans don't do much for me.

Michael James
05-19-2011, 8:47 PM
I thought I saw a geisha girl in the bean pattern. Looks asian-ish, but call it what you want.

Roger Chandler
05-19-2011, 8:49 PM
Cherry/ Friolies Negros Loco/ mahogany top.................hummmm............one of the most unusual I have seen in a while, but I like the result of a very interesting process...........

I have not been brave enough to even study on how to do something like this, much less actually attempt it! No one can say JH doesn't venture outside of the comfort zone......that is for sure..........and no one can say "you don't know beans about turning" either! :rolleyes:

This is nice John, I think it turned out very well...........lacquer [hic :o] and all! :p:D

David DeCristoforo
05-19-2011, 9:47 PM
Well now... there's them that likes beans and them that don't. I'm one of the donts. Except of course for coffee beans. Could you make one out of some Yirgacheffe? As for this particular piece, I really like it in spite of the beans. This resin casting thing could get really wild. Actually, it would seem that it already has!

Curt Fuller
05-19-2011, 10:43 PM
Caballa santa que es bueno!

Please pass the Beano though.

David E Keller
05-19-2011, 10:58 PM
I love this piece! I love the beans, the colors, and the form. I'm not sure what Curt typed, but it sounds dirty. Most Spanish sounds dirty to me.

If you're looking for something cool to cast next, my vote is for nutmeg... Not the powder but the whole seed. I remember seeing an article a couple of years ago where a wire whisk was made with nutmeg inserts in the handle... It's got a really cool pattern inside the seed. Not sure about sources for nutmeg in bulk, but I'm just the idea guy... Somebody else is gonna have to do the leg work.

Baxter Smith
05-19-2011, 11:31 PM
I prefer mine baked, preferably on Saturday night, but I still find this intereting to look at. I can see this has unlimited possibilities for you!

Bill Bolen
05-19-2011, 11:34 PM
Love it..beans and all!

Tim Thiebaut
05-20-2011, 12:30 AM
I prefer mine baked, preferably on Saturday night

With Brown Bread.....

I like it, I think that it is out of the norm and I love anything experimental like this...way to think outside the box....next time though try it with jumping beans, it could be like interactive art where you have to chase it around the room!!!!!

Steve Schlumpf
05-20-2011, 12:30 AM
John... I have to be honest on this one and tell you that I absolutely love the form! Seriously - love it! I think your bean idea has worked quite well and it reminds me of colored confetti! Very cool look to the piece and your gallery is going to ask for more of your new series!

Would be kinda cool if your next one had clear resin so that light could bounce around inside the form! Would really add some depth to the beans!

Very nice work! Thanks for sharing! Good luck with your sales!

Bob Rotche
05-20-2011, 8:00 AM
I think your form is outstanding and personally, I really like the beans! I think its very creative and love the idea of incorporating natural patterns. David's idea of nutmeg is interesting and I've seen a similar piece using pinecones which was stunning. I also know a guy that inlays walnuts into his bowls. The possibilities are endless and I'm sure you will work the bugs out of the process over time. Would like to see a more uniform, but still random, distribution of the beans.

Gary Max
05-20-2011, 8:15 AM
Truely one of a kind----Heck I could sell it.

Tim Rinehart
05-20-2011, 8:28 AM
John, I like it...I'm a big fan of musical fruit. Steve's idea on clear resin is intriguing too, allowing light to pass thru vessel!

Doug Fries
05-20-2011, 8:52 AM
John, I like it, it's thinking outside the box...
If you are thinking about continuing with this series and want to experiment with some coffee beans PM me & I will send you all you need. I work for a Coffee Roasting company & could send some whole bean product that is beyond it's shelf life so it won't be great for sipping, but should make for some cool turnings.

John Hart
05-20-2011, 1:47 PM
Thanks for all the kind words everyone. I will be trying some variations on this theme for sure. Methinks that coffee is the next logical choice, since that's what inspired me in the beginning anyway. I'll have to take Doug Fries up on his offer!!! Wow...what an offer!!

Thanks again!