PDA

View Full Version : Got me a lathe!

Pete Copeland
05-19-2011, 5:28 PM
Hello.

Back around Christmas I told my wife I would rather have a lathe and one sailboat than two sailboats. She said, "fine." She's always been good about my interest in all things wood so she was also keen to make sure that I got something I'd be happy with so I wouldn't be looking to upgrade later. So, I figured the PM 3520 was the one. I was ready to go for a new 3520B but a couple of weeks ago I was able to sell my Laser (It had been listed for a long time but I think the warm weather finally got the interest up) the same week a Powermatic 3520A came up on Craigslist. Here it is in my garage:

It came with all of the tools you see on the wall so that saved me several hundred dollars. The lathe is in good shape and although I would have liked to get a new 3520B, the savings from going used on the older model are probably worth it.

NOW THEN, I've got the lathe, plenty of turning tools, a face sheild, picked up a slow speed grinder at Woodcraft last weekend and I'm going to get the Wolverine system as well. One thing I don't have is a chuck. I'm thinking of either the Vicmarc or the Oneway Stronghold. I'm leaning towards the Stronghold but knowing so little about this, what should I consider? My local Rockler is having a 15% of your total purchase this weekend.

Seems to me that once I finish this list, I'll be ready to get started. Am I forgetting anything?

Two of my neighboors took down trees this past week. I scooped up quite a pile of probably end up being practice material and I'm ready to go. Oh, I need to call an electrician to get 220 in the garage but after that, here I go! In the meantime, I'm going sailing on the other boat this weekend but I'm looking forward to making lots of shavings this summer.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

-Pete

bob svoboda
05-19-2011, 5:50 PM
Pete. First off welcome to the Creek. You'll find a lot of great folks willing to help you with your learning curve. Also, welcome to Club Mustard. That's a great machine and you will get a lot of use from it (won't float near as well as the boat you sold) I have no experience with the Vicmark but have heard good things. I have a Stronghold and I love it. The Super Nova II's are great also. Looks like you are pretty well set up. Looking forward to seeing some of your work.

Steve Schlumpf
05-19-2011, 6:22 PM
Pete - Welcome!

Congrats on your 'new' lathe! Looks like you got quite a deal when considering all the tools! I have zip experience with the Vicmarc chucks but have used a Stronghold a few times. If I were in the market... I would go with the Stronghold but I know there are lots of folks out there that love the Vicmarcs! I think when you get to that level of chuck - you would be very happy with either!

Looking forward to seeing some of your turnings once you get everything up and running! Highly suggest you get with a local turning club and get some lessons on turning if this is your first time spinning wood!

Have fun!

Dan Forman
05-19-2011, 7:06 PM
Pete --- First off, congrat's on the lathe. As for the chuck, I have both of the ones you mentioned, I prefer the jaws of the Oneway chucks - don't have to mess with dovetail tenons and recesses, and they hold very well. I seldom use the Vicmark, keep pin jaws on it for special needs. Unless you want to do predominantly large pieces, I might go with the smaller Oneway Talon. You can get bigger jaws, and you may find the smaller body gets in the way less. Eventually you will have both anyway. :)

Dan

Dick Wilson
05-19-2011, 7:12 PM
Pete, Pete, Pete, You poor guy. You are in the middle of the vortex and you don't even know it.:) Hang on tight. You spin faster towards the bottom:D

Michael James
05-19-2011, 7:35 PM
Congrats and I hope you realize what a treasure you married! Nice score!! Find a local turner(s), watch some videos, ask questions here and elsewhere and read everything you can in between practicing with SHARP tools. Oh, and buff your plastic cuz this rabbit hole runs deep :eek:...... and welcome neighbor.:cool:
Michael

Roger Chandler
05-19-2011, 7:41 PM
I do believe that one is a 3520A model, made entirely in America........as I do not see any rpm readout on it. We have a lady in our club who has the same machine..........its a great one!

Congrats............that is a fine one..........especially for a first!!!

Alan Trout
05-19-2011, 7:47 PM
Pete,

Congratulations on the lathe. Either chuck would be fine. With the Oneway you have a local source for jaws with either Rockler or Woodcraft. The closest Vicmarc dealer to you is Chucks Plus In San Antonio he is a nice guy as well. I have a Stronghold and several Nova chuck and use them both. There are time I really like using dovetail jaws and there are times I like using the Oneway jaws. It just depends. Either would work fine or you could also get a Nova SN2 which will work nicely with the capacity of you machine.

Good Luck

Alan

Chris Tsutsui
05-19-2011, 8:18 PM
I'm a beginner and got the Stronghold chuck from Rockler with a 25% off coupon back when the list price was $299. It's a quality piece! Then I also got the Mega Jumbo Jaws attachment. The wolvering system is also sold at Rocklers and Woodcrafts so the coupons apply to these which can be a better deal than online.

I ended up with the tormek system for sharpening, however since it's pretty slow at shaping tools and I already had a bench grinder, I got the attachment that lets me use tormek jigs on the bench grinder.

My tip is to get a diamond plate for quick hand honing. If you use your dry grinder with an aluminum oxide wheel to sharpen, then you touch it up with a 600 or 1200 grit diamond plate. The one I got was by DMT through Amazon.com which was cheaper than my local stores. Boy is it fast and convenient using these diamond plates.

I didn't realize how much sharpening was involved with wood turning... I would say they go hand in hand.

Boy you lucked out with all those tools... I started with a 6 piece Sorby set and got scolded on this forum for using a roughing gouge to make a bowl... I now have a couple bowl gouges but I still need to shape/sharpen them before I attempt my next bowl.

Roger Chandler
05-19-2011, 8:22 PM
I'm a beginner ...... I started with a 6 piece Sorby set and got scolded on this forum for using a roughing gouge to make a bowl...

That scolding was for your safety.........creekers look out for other creekers! ;):)

John Keeton
05-19-2011, 8:43 PM
Pete, congrats!! Great lathe, and looks like you are setup pretty well. The "rules" of the creek require you post pics of your first "bonker" you turn!;):D Looking forward to seeing what you do with all that practice wood.

And, just curious - what would a guy do with TWO sailboats?? Really hard to sail two at a time!! Much better choice you made!:)

Mark Hazelden
05-19-2011, 8:59 PM
Welcome Pete,

That Powermatic will serve you well.

My wife and I used to live aboard our Bristol 30 sailboat. No room for a lathe! :)

I'm enjoying living on land very well now with plenty of room to make a mess.

Pete Copeland
05-19-2011, 9:34 PM
Thanks to all for the welcome and advise. I think I'll see if my Rockler has a Stronghold in stock.

John, why two sailboats? Well, why so many router bits? What's with all those turning tools? Shellac *and* polyurethane?

The Laser is a single-handed boat designed for racing. Our other boat is a small Hobie cat that is more for cruising. Turns out I liked the Laser (really fun and challenging to sail) but we just don't have that much time to get on the water to use both. And the sale of the Laser took the sting out of the purchase of the Powermatic.

Chip Sutherland
05-19-2011, 10:08 PM
Congratulations. But it sounds like you have a double vortex problem to me.....

John Hart
05-19-2011, 10:09 PM
Welcome Pete!!! Rock n Roll!
Congratulations

Boats?...Two good days with boats....the day you buy it....and the day you sell it.
Lathes? Too many good days to count :)

David E Keller
05-19-2011, 11:04 PM
Congrats on the lathe... And on selling the boat. I've always heard that if it flies or floats, rent don't buy. You're gonna love that lathe.

Baxter Smith
05-19-2011, 11:26 PM
Congrats on the lathe! The 3520A I picked up on CL last year was the best tool purchase I have ever made. I have a couple strongholds and sn2's. I like them both.
As far as too many boats go.... that's like chucks and jaws. Two kayaks, two canoes, three boats with motors, and one rowboat. It just depends on where you are and what you want to do.:D

Vince Welch
05-20-2011, 1:40 AM
Pete,

Congrads on your lathe setup. Sounds like things came together for you nicely. I would recommend the Stronghold all the way regarding chucks.

Vince
1-877-284-8969

Roland Martin
05-20-2011, 8:20 AM
Welcome Pete and congratulations on the Powermatic deal, can't go wrong there. This is an incredible place to learn with some of the best people around. "Be Safe"

Reed Gray
05-20-2011, 12:28 PM
I turned on a 3520A for 8 years before getting my Robust. Great lathe. The first models of the 3520 were made in the USA. When it got to be the 3520A, they were made over seas. The first ones had a cast iron pressure plate under the headstock, and had a different banjo that was heavier than the one you have. Do check to see if it has a cast pressure plate, and if it does replace it, as mine cracked when coring some Black locust. One advantage that the A has over the B is that the slow speed goes down to almost 0 rpm before turning off. I love those slow speeds for sanding my warped bowls.

As to chucks, I have all Vicmark, and love them. After 30 years in concrete construction, I prefer things to be overbuilt, and Vicmark meets that requirement. I haven't used the Oneway, but a lot of people love them.

robo hippy

Joe Scarfo
05-20-2011, 1:11 PM
Congrats, you'll love the lathe...

I was looking at that very lathe for my GF whose up in Foat Wuth.... She's moving into a bigger place and I was going to surprise her with a house warming toy.

I could never get the guy to send me better pics of it. I got scared when he was advertising it as a 3520B and I could not see the speed readout....

I'm glad it all worked out for you... I just love the lathe time..

If you need advise... join the local turners club... the North TX Woodturners club in Ft. Worth is fabulous and offers free lessons to members.

Joe...

John Hart
05-20-2011, 1:19 PM
....for my GF whose up in Foat Wuth....

Foat Wuth.....Too funny :D

phil harold
05-20-2011, 1:40 PM
Nice first lathe!

Congrats on the lathe... And on selling the boat. I've always heard that if it flies or floats, rent don't buy. You're gonna love that lathe.

I always heard that with 3 'F's

Donny Lawson
05-21-2011, 5:03 PM
Congrats on the lathe and having tools to work with. As far as a chuck I have a Talon Oneway which I love. I also have a SN2 which is good but I'm not fond of the stock jaws that come with it. I like some jaws with a bite and will soon invest in a different set.

David E Keller
05-21-2011, 6:14 PM
...I always heard that with 3 'F's

Me too, but TOS for the site prevent the listing of the other F.:eek::D

Karl Card
05-22-2011, 12:13 AM
Nothing but awesome... congrats and i am sure you are one happy turner with that beast.