PDA

View Full Version : Titan or Stronghold

Brent Grooms
05-19-2011, 2:34 PM
Ok I know the titan is no longer in production, but which would you choose ?

Now, would the necessity of a separate adapter (from a direct thread unit to your spindle) influence your decision? How big of factor would price be?

Just bouncing around ideas waiting for the start of vacation :-)

Harry Robinette
05-19-2011, 10:15 PM
Brent
I use a Titan and love it, I personally don't use Oneways so I can't tell you about them. Using a insert or a straight thread, I see no real differents .My Titan has an insert and has .001 run-out. Oneways are just more expensive and don't have enough jaw sets for me, I really like my Novas.
1;Titan 2;super2 2;super 1;original 1;midi. almost ever set of jaws. Did I say I really like my Titan.

Vince Welch
05-20-2011, 1:34 AM
Brent,
I cannot speak to the Titan but I can about the Oneway. I enjoy turning and Oneway has and is going to be around for some time I believe. All there products are rated very high! But more then that... when I am chucking a piece of wood I want the best as to not have any issue with the chuck. Yes the Stronghold cost a bit more but I will never get another because of wear or breakdown of quality! If you are thinking long term... think Stronghold! Just my opinion... Vince

Gary Max
05-20-2011, 2:16 AM
I have a Titan---wish I had two of them.

neil mackay
05-20-2011, 3:07 AM
I have 3 the early SN2 chucks that are 5" in dia, a forerunner to the Titan, would not be with out them. They will hold 29" dia no sweat and along with two new SN2's of 4" dia I am very happy with them all.

Dan Hintz
05-20-2011, 7:41 AM
StrongHold here... the adaptor isn't an issue because it sits inside of the chuck. It's the chucks that need an external adaptor that bug me... pushes the chuck too far away from the head, adds potential for more runout, etc.

Brent Grooms
05-20-2011, 7:50 AM
This situation would require an external adaptor as the chuck body is set-up for a large direct thread. Now, would the risk of some run-out outweigh a good price for a titan?

Dan Hintz
05-20-2011, 8:34 AM
This situation would require an external adaptor as the chuck body is set-up for a large direct thread. Now, would the risk of some run-out outweigh a good price for a titan?
Can't answer that for you... if you're doing relatively small pieces and short pieces (say, 12"), minor runout likely won't be a problem. If you go for larger pieces or ones that are a good distance form the head, even 1/32" runout at the head can turn into major wobble at the end of the piece. It's not about accuracy (it is wood, after all, not precision metal), but wobble leads to chatter and exploding vases.

Alan Trout
05-20-2011, 8:42 AM
I have a Stronghold and it is a great chuck I also have several Nova chucks that are great chucks. I have a friend with a Titan it is an excellent chuck. Would I buy another Stonghold? Yes. Would I buy a Titan if I could get one? Yes. Either are fine chucks and both companies have been around for a very long time. Nova after all was the inventor of the scroll chuck for wood turning.

Alan

Dan Forman
05-20-2011, 12:40 PM
I much prefer the straight, serrated jaws of the Oneway to the smooth dovetail jaws of the others. I have never had anything come out of a Oneway chuck, and they are much more convenient to make tenons for, especially when re-turning a dried bowl.

Dan

Jeff Nicol
05-20-2011, 5:55 PM
I have the stronghold and it has been a great chuck, I plan on getting another body to put my other set of jaws on. I am not sure what Harry means when he says there are not enough jaw sets, I know in the Packard tools catalog you can get just about any type of jaw type for the stronghold, but just like anything if you buy every set of jaws available for any lathe it can get pretty costly!

Titans have always been reccomended by those who own them, but it would be nice to try them both out to make sure which you prefer.

Jeff

Bill Blasic
05-21-2011, 6:34 AM
Don't be surprised if you see the Titan back on the market in the future.
Bill