PDA

View Full Version : Wixey DRO and router with top of table adjustments

Jerome Hanby
05-19-2011, 1:56 PM
Anyone ever rig a Wixey DRO to work with a router with top of table adjustments (like the Freud). Recently was dialing in a Lock Miter bit and thought the digital readout could have made the job go faster...

glenn bradley
05-19-2011, 3:40 PM
The planer DRO may not be the right tool for the job. Devices with remote readouts are available from Wixey ad others. If you are handy, units not pre-designed for routers can work well at a reduced cost. I adapted this Grizzly unit (http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Digital-Scale-with-Remote-Readout-Inch-Metric-Fraction/T23012) to my planer: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?147491-Digital-Readout-on-Grizzly-G0453Z-Planer. I imagine another type could be adapted to the router well enough.

David Thompson 27577
05-19-2011, 5:25 PM
Anyone ever rig a Wixey DRO to work with a router with top of table adjustments (like the Freud). Recently was dialing in a Lock Miter bit and thought the digital readout could have made the job go faster...

I have limited experience with Wixey digital stuff. But that limited experience has taught me to remove the batteries EVERY time I'm done using the divice. Seems that, even though the devices turn themselves off, they still eat batteries.

Certainly they're absolutely accurate -- I have no problem in that regard. But I've learned that if I don't remove the batteries, the device might not be working next time I need it.

glenn bradley
05-19-2011, 6:28 PM
But I've learned that if I don't remove the batteries, the device might not be working next time I need it.

<<< Threadjack alert >>> I had similar problems until I bought Duracell or Energizer batts at the drug store in the medical section. I don't know that it is the brand or where I bought them but, the 2032's last for months on my digital fence and I can't remember the last time I changed the planer DRO battery. I use them several times a week but, live where the weather is pretty moderate. <<< Threadjack over >>

Alan Schaffter
05-19-2011, 11:28 PM
<<< Threadjack alert >>> I had similar problems until I bought Duracell or Energizer batts at the drug store in the medical section. I don't know that it is the brand or where I bought them but, the 2032's last for months on my digital fence and I can't remember the last time I changed the planer DRO battery. I use them several times a week but, live where the weather is pretty moderate. <<< Threadjack over >>

I have limited experience with Wixey digital stuff. But that limited experience has taught me to remove the batteries EVERY time I'm done using the divice. Seems that, even though the devices turn themselves off, they still eat batteries.

Certainly they're absolutely accurate -- I have no problem in that regard. But I've learned that if I don't remove the batteries, the device might not be working next time I need it.

As long as we aren't hijacking the thread . . . when you turn off a Wixey- you only turn off the display, not the circuit - it stays powered so the unit retains calibration. If you remove the battery the unit will need to be re-calibrated.

Wixey's new remote planer unit and new angle cube use AAA batteries with a projected life of 2 years!!! The remote planer unit could be adapted to a router lift. Wixey will be converting his other units to AAA batteries in the future.