PDA

View Full Version : Cupcake Stencils - something just for fun

Belinda Barfield
05-19-2011, 10:32 AM
I will be baking cupcakes for our neighborhood Military Appreciation party on Saturday. It was suggested that I decorate each cupcake with a small American Flag pick. I thought that was rather boring, so I made some cupcake stencils. 1/8" acrylic with the paper backer left on for the photo. These are a lot of fun for kids to use, too.

Neil Pabia
05-19-2011, 11:55 AM
Is that for airbrushing food coloring?

Belinda Barfield
05-19-2011, 12:06 PM
I suppose they could be, Neil. I plan to just sprinkle with sand sugar. It wouldn't be hard to do stencils for different colors and get really cool air brushed designs. I don't have an airbrush or I would give it a try.

Amy Shelton
05-19-2011, 3:11 PM
I wonder if they sell colored dye for cakes in spray cans now.

Great idea, Belinda... thanks for sharing!

Conrad Fiore
05-19-2011, 3:43 PM
Amy,
In case you get the urge to decorate.
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?sku=pg_colormist

Belinda Barfield
05-19-2011, 3:46 PM
Dang, Conrad beat me to it. I was just about to post that link.

Conrad Fiore
05-19-2011, 4:19 PM
We used them a few weeks ago and it worked ok. Not as much control as an airbrush and the consistancy was a bit runny. With an airbrush you can turn up the air and dial back the dye to put it on "dryer" and build more coats for greater opacity. Good fun though for kids. Just be sure to keep an eye on where they are spraying.

Neil Pabia
05-19-2011, 4:21 PM
That's pretty cool but I'll stick to just eating them. I really like the Military Appreciation day, more areas should have that.
If you want to ship the frost cupcakes up to me, I'll airbrush them for you, you will get some back too...LOL

Chuck Stone
05-19-2011, 5:46 PM
you will get some back too...LOL

uh huh .. ok. I see how that works..

I checked that link and thought 'hey, that's really not bad for a 15 ounce can!'
Then I noticed the decimal point

Mike Chance in Iowa
05-20-2011, 1:29 PM
I plan to just sprinkle with sand sugar.

LOL Thanks for clarifying that Belinda. After reading about the "american flag pick" I was thinking you were just going to poke them in the top of the cupcakes!! This makes much more sense that you're using sand sugar. :D