PDA

View Full Version : Tall Router Table Fence

glenn bradley
05-19-2011, 9:24 AM
I told myself that the next time I had to run a lot of drawer-lock joints I would build a better tall fence for the RT. Torsion box design with integral DC port and replaceable inserts.

195145 195146 195147

This board is oversized but, I wanted a good test of the support. Nice controlled material yields cleaner cuts. Worth the couple hours it took to build.

195148 195149

Neil Brooks
05-19-2011, 10:17 AM
Nice.

When it comes to shop jigs, I always tend to short-change, and build "the least I can get by with."

Which is a mistake.

Very well thought out, and well executed fence !

John M Wilson
05-19-2011, 10:57 AM
That is an awesome jig! If you did your plans in Sketchup, please share them!

Dave Gaul
05-19-2011, 12:07 PM
Very nice man! Good way to use those Rockler fence clamps, but why didn't you use the table slots? Just curious...

And is that wax paper under the back of the jig? What function does that serve?

glenn bradley
05-19-2011, 12:28 PM
That is an awesome jig! If you did your plans in Sketchup, please share them!

Piece of scratch paper, sorry about that.

Very nice man! Good way to use those Rockler fence clamps, but why didn't you use the table slots? Just curious...

My top, like my previous one, is laminated MDF. The slots have never given me a lick of trouble. My previous version was just tall face boards that slid on the stock Rockler fence. This is great for stuff up to 15" or so. Any more (accidental) leverage than that and I was concerned for the fence and/or slots welfare. Probably being conservative but, I have the Rockler clamps nearby for other saw uses anyway so I just designed it to clamp to the overhang. If I had not changed tops to provide the overhang awhile back I would have used the slots.

And is that wax paper under the back of the jig? What function does that serve?

Took the pic while the glue up was still curing. The waxpaper was just to protect the RT from any drips ;-)

Ray Newman
05-19-2011, 12:40 PM
Very good plus easy to fabricate and functional design.

Dave Gaul
05-19-2011, 12:40 PM
Gotchya! I like the clamp idea, since my RT has no grooves (Veritas steel top).

I thought maybe there was some new trick of some sort with the waxpaper!!

C Scott McDonald
05-19-2011, 11:10 PM
Looks Good! I will probably have to steal the idea to make a jig for use with a vertical panel shaping bit. Thanks for sharing it.

Don Morris
05-20-2011, 3:08 AM
Great idea. I have a Bench Dog ProTop that allows you to put a second piece of MDF on top of the central metal T track to increase the height of the Fence by 3" (normal). But you must make sure it is co-planer with the MDF below the metal T track, not the easiest trick to perform which I found out when I did that. Your solid one piece ply solves the co-planer problem nicely. Now I'm going to to figure out how to dado the T track into a piece of ply or MDF and attach it to the frame so it will look like your set up and have even a higher fence. You just made work for me.