PDA

View Full Version : New Guy - Need Help with Equipment

darrell huntsman
05-19-2011, 8:41 AM
All,

I have been expanding my workshop over the last couple of years. Doing various projects as a hobbyist that needs a break from the office.

When I do things, I usually go "all in". I am now very interested in turning wood.

The Questions:

What lather do you recommend between $3,000 to $5,000?
What are the other tools that a beginner needs?
Specifically for big bowls, what else might I need?
What is the best way to learn and get started?

Thanks for your help.

Steve Schlumpf
05-19-2011, 9:05 AM
Darrell - lots of options when it comes to tools... so I highly recommend you get with your local turning club and get some first hand info about lathes, turning and the tools actually needed to get the job done. Lots of us when starting out bought tools that we thought you just had to have to make turning easier... not true. Find out what you actually need first - then start your shopping list. JMO.

Steve Vaughan
05-19-2011, 9:27 AM
Don't know what a "big" bowl is to you, but if I had that sort of budget to deal with, I'd go with the Mustard Machine, hands down. Personally, I've got the NOVA DVR and am quite satisfied, but I didn't have your budget to start. Then, I'd get a couple of chucks. I'd go ahead and get an assortment of the Thompson (which I don't have yet myself, but will) tools. Of course, starting out, you could opt for cheaper lathe tools to get some of the learning curve out of the way and then buy better, individually, as you need them. Regardless, the vortex tends to have no bottom. That sort of comes with the territory...and I'm OK with that.

Tim Rinehart
05-19-2011, 9:32 AM
Great advice from Steve, as there are so many directions. Keep one thing in mind, the lathe is typically the cheapest item on the list...it's the tools and jigs and wood that can add up quickly.
All that being said, if money is no object, and you think you'd want to do some really large turnings (20" or larger diameter), the following lathes are popular choices...Serious/Oneway 2436/Robust American Beauty/Powermatic 4224 along with Vicmarc and Stubby for more dedicated bowl and shorter turning. You're going to spend about $5000 to $7000 for one of these machines. I think all these lathes require 220V single or 3-ph, but most are also available with 3hp motors too.

What has to be the most popular from what I can tell, is the Powermatic 3520, or Mustard Monster as it's called. Huge following and good size for most folks with a 20" swing that also has factory accys for outboard turning of about 36". Requires 220V single or 3-phase power. Can get on sale different times of year, expect to pay in low to mid $3K to $3.4K range.

Next has to be the Jet 1642, a 16" swing, and good amount of weight in the cast iron to steady out vibration. Available as 2 hp 220V or 1.5HP 110V. Typically runs in the $2K area.

There are many other good lathes out there, but I think that addresses the ones on most peoples 'want' lists for upgrading.

Dennis Ford
05-19-2011, 9:57 AM
I agree with the recommendation for a Powermatic 3520, Tim gave a good rundown of some other choices. Most people will recommend that you get a chuck or two (or three) and you probably will want one. For your first few large bowls, I highly recommend using a faceplate. As a beginner you will have a few catches and that can pull a blank out of a chuck. A blank that is properly secured to a faceplate will remain safely attached.

Join a club and find a local mentor to greatly flatten the learning curve.

Paul Douglass
05-19-2011, 10:08 AM
If I had $5000 to plop on a lathe, I'd own a Robust Sweet Sixteen!:eek::D

Prashun Patel
05-19-2011, 10:58 AM
I have a midi lathe, but like to make bowls primarily. This may be tablestakes for a larger lathe, but if I were buying big, I'd get one with a 20-24" swing, infinitely - and easily adjustable variable speed, ability to turn at really low speeds, and easy outboard turning capability. My lathe has VS, but I have to switch belts to change between ranges. On my new lathe, I'll look for one where this is either unnecessary or where the belt changes are quick and easy.

As far as bowl turning accessories: here's my dream list:

3/8, 1/2, 5/8 bowl gouges from Thompson. There are other good ones, but these get good reviews here.
Parting tool for forming tenons. No need to go expensive on this IMHO.
2-3 chucks so you don't have to keep changing jaws.
Wolverine and varigrind jig.
Slowspeed grinder with Norton 3x wheels
Bowl steady
3/8" angled drill for power sanding

IMHO, the best way to learn is to buy some round bowl blanks, and watch some Youtube videos. 6-8" bowls are a nice place to start. They are not so large that 'rookie' catches are terrifying, and don't take forever to hollow out. They're also large enough such that it's not tricky to turn the inside walls. Also, start with shallow - 2-3" 'platters'. When I started, the hardest part to master was that inside bowl wall when it gets steep. Take that out of the equation while you learn about the general process and basic cutting action at the beginning.

Wally Dickerman
05-19-2011, 11:13 AM
Before you buy anything, do yourself a huge favor and get some hands-on turning lessons. You'll always be glad that you did. If you have a Woodcraft store in your area, they have classes running most of the time. If there is an AAW club where you live, attend a meeting and ask for advice on where lessons are available. Any kind of woodworking store can tell you how to contact a local club.

A good teacher will give you advice on the tools you will need to start out. You've had good advice on lathes.

Brian Brown
05-19-2011, 11:27 AM
When I do things, I usually go "all in".

What lather do you recommend between $3,000 to $5,000?

Wow, $3,000 to $5,000? budget for a lathe! Will you be my friend? :D When I wanted a lathe, my wife said you can have $200 to spend. Luckily she likes the end product, and has loosened the budget strings a bit. You got good advice here. Remember, the lathe is cheap. The tools, accessories, symposiums, and wood will be where the real money is spent. Good Luck

Jim Burr
05-19-2011, 11:51 AM
Some good advice there Darrell. Finding a club is a great idea. We don't have one in this area and I really wish we did! For those days you're at home looking for a movie to watch, I'd recommend the bowl turning DVD's from either Bill Grumbine or Mike Mahoney. I have both and they really do help. Others may suggest different ones too based on what or who they like.
You may want to start with basic tools like BB's (Benjamin's Best) available on-line or similar but pick up some real good ones while your at it. Many here use Thompsons, I have 4 of them and would not trade 'em for anything!

Keep us posted and remember...it didn't happen if there are no pictures!

Reed Gray
05-19-2011, 1:40 PM
If you want a lathe to seriously turn bowls on, you want 2 hp, and 220 volt. Here the 3 phase variable speed lathes are the best for this purpose. The Nova DVR 220 volt is pretty good as well. My preference for a 16 inch lathe would be the Robust. I prefer a sliding headstock. For 98% of the bowls you turn, 16 inches is all you need. However, those lathes will not have 3 hp motors available. My preference. The PM is a great lathe, so is the Jet 16 inch one with the 2 hp motor. Cheaper than the PM. Oneway lathes are very high quality, but the headstock doesn't slide.

robo hippy

darrell huntsman
05-20-2011, 7:12 AM
Thanks all for your help - Next Steps: Go to woodworking shop to find the local group and proclaimed experts and spend some time with them to learn and familiarize. Then make first few purchases to get started, given the recommendations above. (I also should have noted that my price range above included small jewelry and/or divorce lawyer fees. That nets down to about $180 I can spend on any and all wood turning tools.)

After all this time over the last few years of being drilled into me to make sure everything was square and flat, now I am excited to make something round.

Thanks all!