PDA

View Full Version : Jet 1642EVS-2 question

Paul Singer
05-19-2011, 8:08 AM
I use to turn on a mini lathe and could stall it out without too much effort. Since I got my 1642 2 hp version I have come to the conclusion that I will stall out before it does. I was wondering if running with less tension on the belt is an acceptable way to provide a little slippage on bad catches to possibly forestall a bad accident. Does anyone else feel the need for this and if so has it proven to accelerate belt wear?

Thanks

Steve Schlumpf
05-19-2011, 8:12 AM
Paul - I believe it has more to do with what you get used to! I have my belt tensioned using the weight of the motor only - nothing extra - and can stall/stop the lathe when getting aggressive! Not necessary to loosen the belt and if you get a catch big enough - it will trip the breaker in the cnotrol box. Make sure you look at it sometime - there are stop and run buttons that you will get to use eventually!

Roland Martin
05-19-2011, 9:06 AM
Not saying that I've ever had a catch:D:D, but I do the same as Steve, just the weight of the motor seems to work fine for me.

Dennis Ford
05-19-2011, 10:01 AM
I would not worry about belt wear if it only slips during a catch. Belts are much less expensive than hospital trips.

Tim Thiebaut
05-19-2011, 11:55 AM
On my 1220 I have my belt tight...I was always taught to tighten everything down so it dosnt move period....is this thinking wrong in this case? My last 2 catchs have been catastrophic in that it tore the pieces off the lathe, spliting the base of the work piece and sending them flying across the shop. Should I loosen my belt so that it slips if I get a catch? I have never even come close to stalling this lathe and its only a 3/4hp. Sorry about dropping this question in your thread.

Jim Burr
05-19-2011, 12:01 PM
A Steb center may be an option in some cases too. I stalled my 1014 the other day turning my egg on the 840 rpm setting...it was kind of funny, but scary at the same time!

Reed Gray
05-19-2011, 1:32 PM
Any lathe, well at least the ones we use, can be stalled. Depends on how big of a tool you are using, how much cutting pressure you are applying, how big the diameter is, and how big your motor is. A little belt slack helps if you are prone to catches. Learning proper tool technique is the best solution. That takes practice. From my Wing Chung teacher sifu David Leung:

Teacher, am I doing this right yet?

10,000 more times!

But teacher, that is what you said last time!

Well, 10,000 more times.

robo hippy