PDA

View Full Version : Bionic Faceshield Question

Paul Singer
05-19-2011, 7:53 AM
I have been reading the thread on the passing of Joan Kelley and think it is time I upgrade my face protection. Using the site that John Hart recommended they show the 8500 model for $23 and the 8510 model for $36. Both really good prices I just wondered if the extra expense is worth the extra cash. Maybe some of you have some experience with this product.

It appears that Joan's terrible accident has woke up a few of us to rethink safety.

Tim Rinehart
05-19-2011, 8:28 AM
Paul,
I immediately ordered one of these shields, and spent the extra 10 bucks for the HC/AF (hardcoat antifog) lens. I figure if the lens stays clear and relatively scratch free, I'll have less reasons NOT to wear it.
Mine is due in tomorrow, I ordered from Amazon.

Alan Trout
05-19-2011, 8:32 AM
I have one that is not hard coated. I am so hard on lenses that the extra expanse was not worth it to me. I have never had any fogging issues with mine.

Alan

Roland Martin
05-19-2011, 8:59 AM
Like Tim, I ordered mine yesterday and also spent the extra on the hardcoat, actually ordered a spare lense. I too am trying to minimize any excuses "not" to wear it. Keep in mind that I have never used one at the lathe, so I can't offer bonifide advice, just stating what I decided to do.

Brian Vaughn
05-19-2011, 9:28 AM
Same here, bought one yesterday after seeing that thread. I went with the less expensive one, figuring that if it becomes enough of a problem, I can always change out the shield for a hardcoat/antifog. But being a scuba diver, we have all sorts of tricks to keep things from fogging up...especially if you wear a respirator like mine that vents straight down.

Steve Vaughan
05-19-2011, 9:32 AM
Where are y'all getting these from? I'm missing the website or proper name of them or something.

Roland Martin
05-19-2011, 9:47 AM
I ended up getting mine from https://www.envirosafetyproducts.com, $29.97 with the hardcoat lense. There may be cheaper places, I'm sure others will chime in.

Michael Ginsberg
05-19-2011, 9:57 AM
I got my Bionic Shield from Sanding Glove. Never wore it until I read the tragic post. Woke me up!

Steve Vaughan
05-19-2011, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the info.

Keith E Byrd
05-19-2011, 10:58 AM
Where are y'all getting these from? I'm missing the website or proper name of them or something.

Steve, there is a thread called another lathe accident proves fatal by Roger Chanfler - there is a link there to 4 different sources

Paul Singer
05-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Well I ordered through Amazon and got the anti-fog hard coat. Looks like the Enviro Safety site is a little cheaper than where I ordered. Thanks for all of the help.

Joe Kaufman
05-22-2011, 12:36 AM
Free shipping from Amazon. $35.48 for S8510 w/hardcote lense. Received mine yesterday.

Joe

Dan Forman
05-22-2011, 3:36 AM
I've had the uncoated shield since I started turning, just ordered a couple of the coated replaceable visors, mainly for scratch resistance, as I never had much of a problem with fogging. Time will tell if the coating is worth it, or whether it would be cheaper in the long run just to use the plain ones and change them out regularly as needed - about $5 each.

Dan

John Hart
05-22-2011, 3:46 PM
I've been using mine about 5 years....not hard coated or anything. Finally installed one of my replacement lenses the other day. Hopefully, that will last another 5 years.

David E Keller
05-22-2011, 5:58 PM
I've already managed to sling something onto the face shield of mine... What cleaning products are safe for the plastic shield? Anything to definitely avoid?

John Hart
05-22-2011, 6:04 PM
Toothpaste is the recommended cleaner for polycarbonate lenses. It even smooths scratches.

David E Keller
05-22-2011, 6:05 PM
Toothpaste is the recommended cleaner for polycarbonate lenses. It even smooths scratches.

Will it take off superglue or BLO?

John Hart
05-22-2011, 6:10 PM
Supposedly, it removes everything...but I doubt that it will handle CA. Alcohol is the recommended solvent. Maybe Alcohol...then toothpaste? I'll go try it out on my throwaway lens....It's covered with CA.

I'll be back in a minute

John Hart
05-22-2011, 6:47 PM
Ok...well, my lens is 5 years old...been through everything, and I've never cleaned it other than blowing off the dust. Years of pens spinning and throwing off finishes and all that.

So...first, I soaked a cloth with DNA and rubbed it down. Seems like it removed everything except the CA....but after more rubbing the CA specks started to loosen and fall away.

Then I used some toothpaste (Colgate with sparkles...minty fresh) I used it like a straight abrasive...no water...It didn't seem to do anything for the scratches. Tried it with water...still nothing.

Then I tried toothpaste and DNA. A waste of toothpaste.

So, by this time, I had a clean shield with a lot of scratches. Then I spotted some waterless hand cleaner. So I tried that. The scratches were mostly eradicated.

So...take your pick. I do have a viable spare again in case something happens to my new one.

David E Keller
05-22-2011, 7:35 PM
Thanks, John. I worried about taking toothpaste out of the house... I've already been busted for wax paper, tape, markers, and some towels that were apparently not supposed to be used in the shop:o.

I'll give the DNA a whirl. I've got some plastic polish for pen making that ought to do the trick for scratches.

I've been wondering if these shields could be cut out of something locally available rather than dropping twenty bucks online... I'll let everybody know if I ever get around to trying that.

John Altberg
05-24-2011, 7:09 PM
My new Uvex arrived today. I must say that it is VERY comfortable, though I did look a bit silly trying it on at the office. Can't wait to get home and give it a try at the lathe!