PDA

View Full Version : Safety "Reading" Glasses

Tim Thiebaut
05-19-2011, 12:52 AM
I find that recently I am having a hard time seeing things up close while turning...I already need glasses to read, and they do make safety glasses that are readers...but are they any good? Do they throw off your vision when you arent bent over working close up? Does anyone here use them, are they decent quality, and do they work ok?

Jim Burr
05-19-2011, 1:11 AM
Sorry I missed this one Tim...if you received the new CSUSA catalog (and they are sold lots of other places too) page 54 has some stuff that may work for you. I use an Optivisor on pens a lot!
I think the catalog is available on-line too.

Tim Thiebaut
05-19-2011, 1:13 AM
Sorry I missed this one Tim...if you received the new CSUSA catalog (and they are sold lots of other places too) page 54 has some stuff that may work for you. I use an Optivisor on pens a lot!
I think the catalog is available on-line too.

hhhmm...I am not sure if I got that one or not...but if not I will go request a catalog right now!! I might even be able to find them on their web page to, I will go check them out, thank you!! Tim

EDIT - Oh I see them...I didnt recongnize them by name. I have 3-4 sets of those already, I used them for impressioning keys, rekeying locks...some of those pins are small! And assorted other things while I was still working. But I didnt think about trying them for this...I will give them a shot tomorrow and see how they work out for me....amazing, I may have had a temp solution the whole time. I would still like to know about the safety reading glasses if anyone has any, I think they would be more comfortable to wear then these would be.

Paul Maue
05-19-2011, 1:31 AM
I to need reading glasses to be able to see the detail when turning. But when I look up at any distant object my reading glasses make everything blurry. I bought a pair of the bi-focal safety glasses a year ago and use them all the time, they're great. I always wear them under my face sheild or even when I have to wear a magnifying visor to see up close. When I broke my glasses a couple of weeks ago I didn't feel right wearing my regular reading under my face sheild. I went out and bought another pair. Go ahead and get them. They are much cheaper than buying regular reading glasses in the store and you have the added proctection of them being safety glasses. Its like the lottery, you never know when something is going to get you, but it can leave a lasting impression. Lossing your eyesight is not worth it.

mickey cassiba
05-19-2011, 1:52 AM
It isn't inexpensive, but...
I got my last pair of ANSI safety glasses from the wally world optical center. 184 got me an exam, and a pair of progressive bi-focals...with slide on side shields. and they're pretty tough.

Dan Forman
05-19-2011, 2:38 AM
I have been using safety glasses with "cheaters" for some time now, and find them really helpful. It does take a bit of time to adjust to them, but I depend on them now. I just ordered some of these from Grainger, they are a new product that looks really good, hard to find on the internet as they just came out last month. Here is the link to Grainger. This is a 1.5 diopter, the weakest correction offered, there are two others. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?searchQuery=6ppf3&op=search&Ntt=6ppf3&N=0&sst=subset&typeaheadSearch.x=15&typeaheadSearch.y=11

I'll report on them when I get them. Looks like they will protect from dust blowing in from the sides, which has been an issue with other glasses. Uvex is the same company that makes the Bionic Face Shield being discussed in another thread.

The stronger the magnification, the closer you have to be to focus, which is why I went with the weakest correction.

I use to wear an Optivisor when tying small trout flies. I found it more difficult to go back and forth between near and distance than with bifocal safety glasses. Looking up from the Optivisor it took a while for the blur to go away, not so with bifocals. YMMV. The other thing is that the Optivisor is clunky, bifocal safety glasses can be worn under a face shield, not the OV. Woodcraft carries standard bifocal safety glasses that are about half the price of the ones linked to it those seem too expensive.

Safety reading glasses will give the problems Paul mentions above - if they protect your eyes adequately, anything away from the focal distance will be blurry, if they are half frames, they won't protect your eyes.

Dan

Keith E Byrd
05-19-2011, 6:29 AM
I have been using the safety glasses with bifocals for about a year - they work great.

philip labre
05-19-2011, 7:02 AM
I had some bifocal safety glasses with just the cheaters on the bottom, but can't remember wear I got them. Even had tinted ones I wore when fishing so I could tie a fly on.

Kyle Iwamoto
05-19-2011, 7:03 AM
Our local HD and W/C have reading/safety glasses. They have various models, some work better than others. Since they're the bifocal type, they work pretty good if you have OK regular vision. They're cheap, I have a few pairs because I can never find them when I need them.

Tim Thiebaut
05-19-2011, 7:10 AM
Normaly my vision is pretty good, just started needing to wear readers here recently, but I have noticed it more and more lately while I am turning something small and delicate...things start to get really fuzzy and out of focus even with a strong light source a few inches from the work piece. I think from what I am reading here the bifocal ones would work best for me so that most of the time I can see normaly, its just every now and then when I am bent over close up on something small. So I will get some ordered and give it a shot...thanks for everyone help and input here...Tim

Bob Haverstock
05-19-2011, 7:13 AM
Hi Tim,

I'm using a pair that I purchased at WoodCraft about 2 years ago. I wear them anytime that I'm sawing, turning, grinding, or mowing. I've grown very used to them and dependent on them. I do believe that WoodCraft is selling a diffent line now. Most welding supplies have bifocal safety glasses available. Shop around, not all fit the same. Your vision is way too important an asset to be unprotected.

Bob Haverstock

Roger Chandler
05-19-2011, 7:25 AM
When I had my last prescription no line bifocals made, the Dr. and I had a discussion on all the things I do, including wood working, and other work related activities. After discussion he made the suggestion to correct my reading needs to the distance where one would see a person speaking from a lecturn, which is a bit above waist high.

When I am at the lathe, or at the table saw, I can just glance down and the tape measure on my fence rail, or the work at the lathe is in focus by just looking through the bottom area of my glasses.

I also have polycarbonate lenses, which are what safety glasses are, and of course no glare coating for driving at night and work at the computer.................none of which are inexpensive, but in my case medically necessary. As we get older, I find that I am having to spend more money to try to function at a level that I used to just take for granted........:(

Curt Fuller
05-19-2011, 9:46 AM
I couldn't turn without my bifocal safety glasses. I have 20/20 vision for everything but up close. My problem is remembering to take them off when I go in the house. I can't count the times I've fallen up the stairs with them on. For me personally the inexpensive ones I get from woodcraft work just fine and because I tend to splatter finish, ca, sap, etc. on them it's no big deal when they get too gooed up to see and I have to toss them out.

Tim Thiebaut
05-19-2011, 12:03 PM
I couldn't turn without my bifocal safety glasses. I have 20/20 vision for everything but up close. My problem is remembering to take them off when I go in the house. I can't count the times I've fallen up the stairs with them on. For me personally the inexpensive ones I get from woodcraft work just fine and because I tend to splatter finish, ca, sap, etc. on them it's no big deal when they get too gooed up to see and I have to toss them out.

That sounds just like me Curt. As far as wearing "safety glasses" themselfs, I cant walk into a shop without putting them on, after 30+ years as a locksmith/safecracker with metal and brass shavings flying everywhere, it is ingrained into me. After I walk into my shop and turn on the lights the next thing I do is glasses go on...everytime period. I will get a pair of these ordered today..I hate not being able to see like I use to...forget about 20, I would love to be 40 again!!! LOL