PDA

View Full Version : My First Jointer

David Fried
02-06-2005, 9:31 PM
Well, I did it. I bought a jointer. Of course it's not the Powermatic or Oliver I have been drooling over but the budget didn't allow that.

I've read recommendations that you should get an 8 inch as you will out grow a six inch. I had planned on an eight inch but that budget again! So I found a really inexpensive 6 inch in the paper and went and picked it up. If I upgrade in the future I'm not into this one for much. (Less than diner out at decent place)

The tables are short but flat - I checked. (the flatness that is). Here it is on the kitchen counter. The original stand and motor are still in the car. It's not an aircraft carrier but the cow landed just fine!

The best part was getting it from the original owner. I was just blown away by an 86 year old woodworker whipping out the socket set to disassemble the base and remove the jointer in 60 seconds flat. He explained he had upgraded his shop years ago and sold this stuff to a guy who planned on making a living from wood working. Apparently it didn't work out and recently he had bought the equipment back, for less, and was selling it a second time. There was an old Rockwell-Delta 9 inch table saw, old Delta drill press, old Walker-Turner drill press, old delta scroll saw, a radial arm saw, and more, in his garage, all for sale.

He invited me and my son in for cookies and a tour of his shop in the basement. In his shop was an older Delta contractors table saw, the (blue) Jet 6 inch jointer that replaced the one I was buying, a newer Dremel scroll saw with a magnifying glass, Delta drill press, a delta portable planer, an older Sears lathe, and a grinder. (I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff) He showed me his newest tool, still being assembled, a Jet Shaper! He was still hooking up his dust collection system.

He explained he didn't really make much stuff: sewing cabinet for his wife, night stands in the bedroom, coffee table, etc ... He might not be prolific but after 50 years the list gets long!

Hope I can still do those things at 86.

Next I need to assemble the jointer and give it a try. I expect my planer will get more use with a jointer next to it!

Jeff Sudmeier
02-06-2005, 10:28 PM
That jointer is about the size of mine. It's not perfect, but it will get you buy until you can get an aircraft carrier! It does the job with some care :)

What a great story about an older woodworker, it is nice to know that he is still getting joy from the craft. I just hope I am still woodworking then, that is 63 years from now :)

Norman Hitt
02-07-2005, 12:09 AM
Well, I did it. I bought a jointer. Of course it's not the Powermatic or Oliver I have been drooling over but the budget didn't allow that.

Next I need to assemble the jointer and give it a try. I expect my planer will get more use with a jointer next to it!
--------------
David, after you use it some, you will probably settle on some particular measurement as to depth of cut (probably thin) that you will use most if not ALL the time. If you do this, (say 1/32" per pass, or whatever #???), you can enhance your short jointer's capabilities in the "lengths of material" you can joint successfully with it by making two bed extensions for it out of melamine or MDF with formica on top and placing one at both the infeed end and outfeed end and clamping them to each end of the jointer.

You make them similar to the extensions you see (both for sale and shopbuilt from plans several of the ww mags have shown in the past couple of years) for the extension tables used for CMS's & SCMS's.

In use, you just take a long straight edge and make sure they are perfectly coplaner and level with the infeed table or the outfeed table that each one is attached to. If made solid with legs to the floor that are adjustable, and attached securely to the jointer, (either clamped or bolted direct), this will give you the same support for the wood being planed as the long bed jointers. You just have to remember that if you change the depth of cut, you also have to readjust the height of the extension table.

I used this method for years on my old short Craftsman jointer and it worked well. If you make them to the proper design, you can then use them for a CMS after you upgrade to a longer, wider jointer. You only need to make them long enough to support the longest board that you will Normally be jointing.

Hope this helps.........Norm

David Fried
02-08-2005, 8:11 AM
--------------
... you can enhance your short jointer's capabilities in the "lengths of material" you can joint successfully with it by making two bed extensions for it out ...
Hope this helps.........Norm

That sounds like a great idea I hadn't thought about. Thanks. Yes, I expect I may just settle in on a light cut and leave it alone.

Dave Fried

Ken Fitzgerald
02-08-2005, 8:53 AM
David....I'll repeat what was earlier voiced.....that looks to be about the same size as the one I currently have. You can do a lot with it though it's not a "aircraft carrier". I bought mine because of budgetary concerns. When my new shop is finished and I'm not into $$$$$ into the shop, I'll consider larger equipments. Until then.....the short beds have disadvantages but they are useable! Nice score!