PDA

View Full Version : Battleship shell or egg?

Jim Burr
05-18-2011, 5:19 PM
My wife said egg...I say 16" shell from a battleship...I told her she won, I know better!
I was looking at some boxes by Mike Stafford and the CSUSA catalog, I though something other than a cylinder would be a change for me. Some beech left over from a pepper mill about 4.5x2.5. Finished with the Ray Key (I think it was him) Renwax trick. I had a huge catch when the bottom was chucked to remove the tenon...I forgot that grain orientation changed. Having to remove the extra wood really helped the shape. Since there is no lip or knob, the fit is not suction, but firm. 2 coats of Mylands at 1500 and Renwax to finish.

C&C used on the next one.

Tim Thiebaut
05-18-2011, 6:22 PM
Sorry...I gotta go with the wife on this one...egg it is! And will you share the Ray Key Ren wax trick with us? I have never heard of this trick before and have recently started useing Ren wax so any tricks hints would be great.

Michael James
05-18-2011, 7:35 PM
Nice little box there mr Burr, and a nice finish too. Call it what you want, I think it will hold a good assortment of guitar picks and a nice small footprint!

David E Keller
05-18-2011, 7:39 PM
Looks good to me. You did a great job matching the grain on this one. Cool stuff.

Jon Nuckles
05-18-2011, 8:02 PM
You must own a very thin parting tool! Nice work.

John Hart
05-18-2011, 9:36 PM
Goose Egg....definitely

Very Cool. Bill Neddow says that the egg is the perfect form. Your wife just called you "perfect" ;)

Baxter Smith
05-18-2011, 9:48 PM
Nice job Jim! The CSUSA catalog just arrived here yesterday. I was looking at the cover this morning and thinking that might be a nice shape to try.

bob svoboda
05-19-2011, 9:43 AM
Nice egg and great job of aligning the grain.

Jim Burr
05-19-2011, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the replys folks. The grain alignment was luck...trust me:rolleyes:!! Beech is fun to turn and finishes very well. I'm actually glad I had a catch on the lower side; it humbled me back to earth:o and really helped the shape!