PDA

View Full Version : Computer programs versions - databases

Michael Mills
05-18-2011, 3:22 PM
I have Win XP and experienced a problem. I have almost everything back except..
Before, I had Act V3 and Act V8 on my computer. There was still one V3 database (made for Win 95) which I did not convert and need. It would still run after I upgraded to V8 but I had to use old program.
Act V8 is already installed and works fine. But it can't read the V3 data.
Needless to say, support for V3 ended about 2000 or maybe before.
Can I reinstall Act V3 without messing up V8 settings/files?
Thanks

Bryan Morgan
05-19-2011, 12:00 AM
I have Win XP and experienced a problem. I have almost everything back except..
Before, I had Act V3 and Act V8 on my computer. There was still one V3 database (made for Win 95) which I did not convert and need. It would still run after I upgraded to V8 but I had to use old program.
Act V8 is already installed and works fine. But it can't read the V3 data.
Needless to say, support for V3 ended about 2000 or maybe before.
Can I reinstall Act V3 without messing up V8 settings/files?
Thanks

All you can do is try it and see... I'd create a system repair point before you do it though so you can go back if you need to...

As an alternative you can load vmware server (its free) on your machine. What this will allow you to do is run another copy of windows (or any OS you want actually) within your existing windows. The virtual windows will have its own programs and settings. It may sound a little complex but it isn't really. Vmware has great documentation.

Greg Portland
05-19-2011, 1:02 PM
Before you go through that hassle see if there is an conversion add-in online. For example, Excel2k has an add-in that will allow it to read basic Excel2003 documents (of course not enabling the 2003 features). You could also contact the SW company, they may be able to help you (since you own both SW versions).

If you try installing Act V3 I would recommend performing a FULL backup of your entire PC. Install V3, perform the conversion, copy the new file to a CD/DVD (or USB stick) and then roll back your PC to the old setup (using the backup). This will ensure that the V3 install can be completely wiped from the system if there is a problem.