PDA

View Full Version : Storing WOP in a transparent bottle?

Justin Stephen
05-18-2011, 2:12 PM
All, I was thinking of moving some of my WOP over to a clear squeeze bottle for ease of application. It would never be in direct sunlight. Is this a problem with WOP, causing it to age too quickly, gum up, etc.? Minwax brand if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Bob Bergstrom
05-18-2011, 3:01 PM
Probably better than leaving it in the can. Exposure to air is the enemy when it comes to storing oil finishes. The more air that can be remove from the container the better. Bloxygen is a additive to help prevent oxidation. Many people have done the same with various oil finishes. Some have even used marbles to fill the container.

Steve Schlumpf
05-18-2011, 3:07 PM
Have thought of doing the same thing myself a few times - just haven't done it yet. I agree with Bob - you want to get the oxygen out of the finish container before storing. You should see my cans of poly - dang near squeezed in half from removing air before sealing container!

Let us know how well it works for you!

Dan Forman
05-18-2011, 3:58 PM
Just make sure the plastic is resistant to the solvent.

Dan

Jeff Nicol
05-18-2011, 11:10 PM
I did it with some but it was not Minwax brand I think it was Cabots or something and it turned into a gob of goo in a month or so! I kept it near the lathe with a tight lid and when I used some I would replace it or put some clean marbles from a jar of mineral spirits to keep the air space to a minimum. So I won't do that again, but it may have been some other reason for it gelling up.

Jeff

Kyle Iwamoto
05-19-2011, 8:53 AM
I did that, and got the same result as Jeff. It seemed to harden pretty quickly. It was sure easy though. I used a bottle that had a twist spout, so it was quick and easy. A small disposable glue bottle may be just the ticket. Pour enough in for a few days work. Better than dealing with that can. Perhaps someone else has a better option.

Paul Williams
05-19-2011, 9:33 AM
I have been storing minwax WOP in small squeeze bottles for about a year now. It still gets old, just as it does in the can, but I think it lasts longer because of not opening and closing the can with every use. It is more convient to use. HF has a package of three 8 oz bottles relatively cheap. After a few refills I toss the bottle because of a WOP film drying on the inside of the bottle. I think three months is about the longest I have every kept one bottle.

Justin Stephen
05-19-2011, 9:34 AM
I have been storing minwax WOP in small squeeze bottles for about a year now. It still gets old, just as it does in the can, but I think it lasts longer because of not opening and closing the can with every use. It is more convient to use. HF has a package of three 8 oz bottles relatively cheap. After a few refills I toss the bottle because of a WOP film drying on the inside of the bottle. I think three months is about the longest I have every kept one bottle.

I think those are the same bottles that I was going to use, actually. :)

Thanks for the feedback, all.

Bill Luce
05-19-2011, 7:28 PM
I store finishes etc in a fridge and it extends the life by a factor of around roughly 10. Also glues.

Michael Mills
05-19-2011, 7:34 PM
I haven't tried poly but I have been storing Mylands, shellac, BLO,...lot of things and have never had a problem any more so than in the can. I use empty dish detergent bottles, they seem to seal really good.

Justin Stephen
05-19-2011, 9:36 PM
I store finishes etc in a fridge and it extends the life by a factor of around roughly 10. Also glues.

Come to think of it, I have a mini-fridge sitting in the garage not being used for anything at all. I may try that. If nothing else, it will force me to organize things a little better.