PDA

View Full Version : Pine cabinet

David Wilson
02-06-2005, 4:32 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=15833&stc=1I just finished finnishing a new cabinet for SWMOB using a new (to me) prosces. The pine is sanded to 180 grit and then coated with a mixture of H2O and drain cleener.
This turns the pine yellow but the color goes away . After letting it dry overnight I applyed a coat of light brown Briwax. Buff the wax when dry and apply 2 more coats of wax buffing each. This gives the pin a look of 200 year old antique. Hope the pics satisfy the pic police and thanks for looking

Greg Heppeard
02-06-2005, 4:35 PM
Looks great...my wife likes that look. Does the grain raise much when you do that kind of finish?

Alfred Hoffmann
02-06-2005, 4:37 PM
Very nicely done, Dave. Did you use an inner liner for the shelving or did you drill directly into the side boards?

Al Hoffmann

David Wilson
02-06-2005, 4:55 PM
Greg
The grain didn't seem to raise but I fotgot to mention that the wax is applied with 4 ot steel wool wich probably cuts any down. The finish is smooth as a baby's but.
Alfred
The holes are drilled directly into the sides. Used a method I picked up watching the router workshop. Used a piece of tempered hardboard with 7/16" holes evenly spaced and used a router with a 7/16 colar and a 1/4" bit to drill the holes.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-06-2005, 5:01 PM
David, that looks great! It sure does look like a classic already!

Lou Morrissette
02-06-2005, 5:14 PM
David,
Nice job, looks great. What kind of drain cleaner did you use? Does it matter?
Realy like that look.

Lou

Jim Becker
02-06-2005, 5:27 PM
Nice job on that cabinet, David!! It looks great.

Yes, the lye in the drain cleaner will "age" the wood somewhat, as do a few other chemicals...Jeff Jewitt has information about these in one or more of his finishing books.

Dick Parr
02-06-2005, 10:08 PM
Great looking cabinet Dave, and I like the coloring you did on it. Very Nice. The wife wants one like this but we have no where to put it if I make it.

Very nice Job. :)

Mark Singer
02-06-2005, 11:14 PM
David,

Very nice cabinet! Nicely built !

David Wilson
02-07-2005, 8:44 AM
Lou

I believe any liquid drain cleaner will work. complete instructions can be found on Briwax web sight.