PDA

View Full Version : WOP not drying on Mesquite

Kelvin Burton
05-18-2011, 1:21 AM
I recently turned a bowl from a piece of old very dry Mesquite. I put on one coat of Watco Teak Oil, let it dry for 2 days then added a coat of Minwax WOP. It is taking ages to dry, like more than a day per coat.

Anyone know why? What should I do different?

Gary Max
05-18-2011, 2:45 AM
I would guess the Teak oil did not dry right and wiping it down with MS to clean it up would of done the trick.

Steve Schlumpf
05-18-2011, 7:40 AM
I agree with Gary - most likely the Teak oil had not cured prior to adding the WOP. Another possible problem would be the age of the WOP. If it fairly old - usually the color has darkened considerably - it takes a very long time to dry - no matter what. Also agree that wiping the piece down with mineral spirits - allowing the piece to dry - should get you back to where you can apply a coat of fresh WOP.

Jim Burr
05-18-2011, 10:58 AM
Real teak oil takes a while to cure...like over a week. Typically, if you can smell the finish...it's not cured.

Kelvin Burton
05-18-2011, 1:44 PM
Thanks for the help guys! I'm also thinking that the density of the Mesquite and therefore the lower rate of absorbency is having an impact on the time it takes the oil to dry. Guess I just need (more) patience! :(