PDA

View Full Version : English Walnut HF

Curt Fuller
05-17-2011, 10:41 PM
This is a squatty little HF with a bit of a southwestern look to it. It's 7" x 4", just lacquered with rattle can Deft. I think I'll probably try waxing it in a few days with some Briwax on 0000 steel wool to knock some of the orange peel texture and shine off of it. The wood had a knot with a star pattern of cracking radiating out from it. When I was hollowing it a piece of the knot fell out. So since I was shooting for a southwest look anyway I decided to fill the hole and a small spot on the lower half with some crushed turquoise and epoxy. It was all going pretty well and I liked how it was turning out. Then I reversed it to finish off the bottom and cut right through it.:mad: So now it's an English Walnut Southwestern Hollowform with Black Walnut plug, EWSWHFBWP.

195044 195043

Roger Chandler
05-17-2011, 10:45 PM
I can tell you............I am not looking forward to my next funnel..........I thought when I started turning that it was only supposed to happen to each turner once...:rolleyes:.........

Nice one Curt.......pretty wood.

Steve Schlumpf
05-17-2011, 10:46 PM
Beautiful hollow form Curt! Love the wood and the turquoise inlay! What else can you say... plugs happen...

John Hart
05-17-2011, 10:56 PM
That's the prettiest EWSWHFBWP I've ever seen!!!

No really...It is very appealing. The wood and the form are great. I don't care nuthin' about no plug.

Michael James
05-17-2011, 11:08 PM
That is the coolest EWSWHFBWP I've ever seen! That is truly a remarkably beautiful chunk of wood and being in the SW I love the turquoise on it. If it's headed for the firebox, I'll pay shipping to send it this way! :cool:
mj

Tim Thiebaut
05-18-2011, 12:37 AM
Beautiful, the turquoise looks fantastic in the inlay, and the walnut is amazing.

John Keeton
05-18-2011, 6:57 AM
Curt, I suspect you did such a clean job of plugging it, that it is none the worse for wear! Great little turning, and nice work with the turqouise, too. On the orange peel thing with the lacquer (one of the reasons I have nearly quit using the spray) I wet sand with 600 with MS, and then 1200 - then buff. Seems to do a much better (quicker, easier and smoother) job with the orange peel, but one needs to have several coats on or you will likely end up with a dull spot or two.

bob svoboda
05-18-2011, 9:11 AM
Nice save, nice form, nice wood. Call it what you want, it's very nice.

Baxter Smith
05-18-2011, 9:29 AM
Nice looking form and wood Curt. The turqouise looks good with it. I wish I could say I have only made that mistake once.;)

Jim Burr
05-18-2011, 10:53 AM
I think the turqouise is a great touch Curt...the plug is nice ...Keller does it on purpose!:cool:;)

charlie knighton
05-18-2011, 11:01 AM
very nice, thanks for sharing